Herbal life

Options
I have been on it for a little over a week and love it. But a friend of mine literally bloats right up and gets nauseous she tried taking a lactose pill and nothing ! Any suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for a little over a week and love it. But a friend of mine literally bloats right up and gets nauseous she tried taking a lactose pill and nothing ! Any suggestions?

Tell her to stop. Sounds like some sort of reaction.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Tell her to stop. I have heard that people have ended up in the ER after taking it. If she's having a negative reaction she should stop taking it immediately.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Absolutely stop taking it. Herbalife had been associated with some very negative health outcomes and your friend is clearly reacting to it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Absolutely stop taking it. Herbalife had been associated with some very negative health outcomes and your friend is clearly reacting to it.

This.....and to take it to start with isn't good.
  • joelacy11
    joelacy11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Herbalife is a huge con. Please do not fall for it!
    If your goal is to lose weight then the first thing you should do is calculate what your BMR is ( just google this) and subtract 250-500 cals from this number. This is how you lose weight safely. I used this principle 2 years ago and dropped 10kgs of bodyfat. Whats more, it has stayed off.

With these 'fad diets' you will lose weight but only because they will suggest dropping your overall calories by around 1000 cals a day! You will lose weight but it will be mostly muscle AND you WILL put weight back on when you finish the 'diet' Aim for a lifestyle change and not a quick fix.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Herbalife USEd to be a pretty solid product. I used for many years in the 1980s, however they now produce it in China and they have discovered lead and other things in the products. Stay away is my suggestion. http://factsaboutherbalife.com/media/2012/12/Product-Warning.pdf
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It contains carrageenan. Some people are highly allergic to that. Could that be it?
    Do not get involved in selling this MLM pyramid scheme. Once you run out, visit your local walmart and buy protein powder there. It will save you a ton of money.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    joelacy11 wrote: »
    If your goal is to lose weight then the first thing you should do is calculate what your BMR is ( just google this) and subtract 250-500 cals from this number. This is how you lose weight safely. I used this principle 2 years ago and dropped 10kgs of bodyfat. Whats more, it has stayed off.

With these 'fad diets' you will lose weight but only because they will suggest dropping your overall calories by around 1000 cals a day! You will lose weight but it will be mostly muscle AND you WILL put weight back on when you finish the 'diet' Aim for a lifestyle change and not a quick fix.

Not your BMR, your TDEE! Yikes! Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the amount of calories you need just to survive if you laid in bed all day. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This one calculates your daily activity + your BMR. You subtract 10-20% from your TDEE, not from your BMR! @joelacy11
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Not your BMR, your TDEE! Yikes! Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the amount of calories you need just to survive if you laid in bed all day. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This one calculates your daily activity + your BMR. You subtract 10-20% from your TDEE, not from your BMR! @joelacy11

@quicksilver is correct. Do this. OR just do what MFP says when you set it for 1lb a week.
  • joelacy11
    joelacy11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My mistake, did mean tdee. To be fair if you took 250 cals away from your BMR you'd probably lose a lot of weight!
    Thanks for the correction @quisylver296
  • hustled77
    hustled77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow not herbalife lovers on here then, I'm not here to fight their corner just having a read. I know plenty of people in my area that use herbalife and have done well on it. The only shake I drink is the my protien one which is half the money
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I just did that and I would literally have to eat no calories :(