Binge eating

So I just got done binge eating and feel like crap...

How do you fellow binge eaters get over it?:( I want to cry...

Replies

• Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    First, don't beat yourself up over it. We all make mistakes! Recognize you feel like crap now and next time you are tempted, remember how you felt this time around. For me, I simply can't have the food in the house. Stuff like cereal, chips, and crackers, which are easy to just slip a hand in and grab a bunch, I can't buy them to have available. Thefood either has to be not very appetizing so I don't want to munch on it, or has to take a bit to prepare (frozen things, without a microwave). I know this is difficult if you live with others so it might not be good advice, but it has worked for me. Good luck!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm not over it but have found some things that have helped curb it. Logging every single calorie before I eat it is key. I have to make the conscious decision whether or not I'm going to eat above my goal. Sometimes seeing the damage I'm doing stops me in my tracks. I need to see how the calories add up.

I keep careful track of the episodes. Type out what is going on. I've identified a couple of things that make me want to eat. Working on changing how I react to those situations. What I have discovered through this is that I'm an equal emotional opportunity eater. I can't blame stress or being sad on wanting to eat. It's all emotions. I'm just as likely to binge if I'm happy.

Like health_for_love says, there are some foods that I can't have in the house. I won't say I won't ever have them but I won't have them in the house currently.

I started walking a few months ago. The episodes happen much less often on the days that I meet my walking goal. I don't know if it's that I don't want to wipe out the work I did or if it's something else. I don't care, I'm just grateful to have the tool. Being well-rested is helpful for me also. I make better decisions.

Make sure you aren't genuinely hungry. You may need to raise your calorie goal a little if being hungry is causing you to overeat. This isn't the case for me but I've read many posts from people who have said raising their calorie goal was very helpful.

In my opinion the most important thing is moving on from the episode. It doesn't do you any good to dwell or beat yourself up for it. Also, don't think you may as well eat more because you blew it. Don't say you will get back on your program tomorrow. Say you are back on your program right now.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    I know there's a lot of folks here who log everything during a binge. I don't, too depressing. Don't beat yourself up, try and figure out what your triggers are and move on. I get up the next day and start fresh. Don't let one day turn into two, or three etc. I find it helps to not get to the point of starving, that's when I'll start grabbing anything. If I know I'll be gone all day I bring some food with me. When I make dinner I make extra for the next day, or have a few things around that are quick and easy. Take it one day at a time, you can do this! Good luck.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Hi
    I have struggled with this in the past
    I used to not log the binges because it was too depressing and I would think "I'll just start fresh tomorrow" but this never happened 1 day turned into 2 or 3.
    I feel like now if I log EVERYTHING it means that I am accountable for what I've eaten (not lying to myself like before)
    This way, if I am about to over calories during a binge I can stop myself!!
    Good luck x
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    farmerpam1 wrote: »
    I know there's a lot of folks here who log everything during a binge. I don't, too depressing. Don't beat yourself up, try and figure out what your triggers are and move on. I get up the next day and start fresh. Don't let one day turn into two, or three etc. I find it helps to not get to the point of starving, that's when I'll start grabbing anything. If I know I'll be gone all day I bring some food with me. When I make dinner I make extra for the next day, or have a few things around that are quick and easy. Take it one day at a time, you can do this! Good luck.

If binging is mindless eating, then sometimes the act of logging can bring mindfulness back and short circuit the binge.

A poster here uses the trick of saying "I am choosing to eat this" with every bite, I believe also to bring back awareness.

For me:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    3. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well
  • buttersbunch
    buttersbunch Posts: 180 Member
    First things first... if you want something you haven't had before (or in a LONG time!) you have to DO something you haven't done before (or in a LONG time!). ❤️

What is that??

You need to completely clear OUT all the unhealthy, 'trigger' foods that are standing between you and PROGRESS towards getting healthier and getting that weight off!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If binging is mindless eating, then sometimes the act of logging can bring mindfulness back and short circuit the binge.

A poster here uses the trick of saying "I am choosing to eat this" with every bite, I believe also to bring back awareness.

For me:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating

I like that. I feel like I will deny it happened if I don't acknowledge it. You can pick up patterns with several months worth of logging too. My goal is to be able to resist binge eating without the white knuckle effect. Don't think that will happen without logging.

Maybe I will try yoga.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

For me:

Your post makes me wish we had a like button AND makes me glad we are MFP friends :wink:
  • seferinoflorez
    seferinoflorez Posts: 3 Member
    Thinking of drinking a crap load of water when I feel like binge eating. Trick the stomach.