Carb backloading reviews

Options
Hello there. I want to shake things a little bit. I was on Low carb high fat diet for almost 2 years. Some guy recoomed theCarb backloading and he is telling me that I will see even better progress than I already have. I did google it and I dont want to pay around 60$ to buy the book.

I train mainly in the morning at 6 a.m

Anyone tried this "fitness idet" ?

Do you recommend it? please spare you knowledge about diet in general and calorie in and calorie out and let us just focus on the subject.

Thank you

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Isnt that just eating a big high carb meal at night if you are training fasted or on little food early in the morning? It might improve your performance in the gym if thats what you are looking for. Diet and calories will depend on your goals
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I did it a couple years ago with great success. For it to work you should be training with a lot of effort and high volume. It's skipping breakfast and eating keto style ultra low carb all day, then eating all of your carbs as high glycerin carbs only following training. Training is recommended in the evening around 5 and cardio is a HIIT routine performed fasted in the morning. It times exercise and macro intake with your body's circadian rithym.

I observed that it uses elements of ketogenic nutrition, intermittent fasting, and carb timing.

That being said, I got tired of eating plain meat and green veggies every day. I'm currently cutting back down with a traditional calorie restricted diet after being on a long and dirty bulk just because I can eat potatoes at lunch.

I seem to remember Kiefer having a Web community for those using his various different nutritional protocols. Can't remember the name though.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd add my stats from then...
    5' 7"
    Dropped from 180 to 165 lbs
    Hit 10% body fat
    420 lb squat
    440 lb dead lift
    235 lb bench

I'm a power lifter if that makes any difference. My numbers are all gym numbers at my leanest. I didn't seem to lose any strength on the diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

wmagoo27 wrote: »
    I thought I'd add my stats from then...
    5' 7"
    Dropped from 180 to 165 lbs
    Hit 10% body fat
    420 lb squat
    440 lb dead lift
    235 lb bench

I'm a power lifter if that makes any difference. My numbers are all gym numbers at my leanest. I didn't seem to lose any strength on the diet.

you could drop 15 pounds just eating in a calorie deficit and hitting micros and macros….

• zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    thx all for your reply.

I may consider myself intermediate in resistance training. I do the 5x5 and I am getting very good results.

My goal is to continue gaining muscle but if it is possible to shed some fat. I know about calorie deficit which is very obvious but this carb backloading seems tempting and I am thinking to give it a shot starting next week.

Any other reviews?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, FWIW...

I think there is some merit to it, but I think that merit has a lot of context that often gets left out.
    1. The benefits won't outweigh a crappy diet
    2. The benefits won't outweigh sloppy cals/macros
    3. The benefits won't outweigh a bad lifting program
    4. The benefits won't outweigh insufficient effort during your workouts
    5. The benefits won't outweigh personal preferences if you can't stick the plan

So, if you've got your diet dialed in... if you've got you intake in check... if your macros support your training/goals... if you're on a good lifting program... if you're giving good effort... if carb backloading lines up reasonably well with your eating preferences... if all that is true, then go for it.
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In fact I dont give lot of attention on my Calorie intake

I have only one meal which is the dinner and a shake of protein (40gr) at 14h plus to BCAA during and after workout.

I am enjoying this IF and in general I am almost always in calorie deficit except weekends