Illnesses due to weight loss

Options
monetfuge
monetfuge Posts: 43 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
My immune system can't be controlled no matter the vitamin D and increasing iu, garlic, vitamin C, and herbs I take. Cleaning or germ killers I use. Plus I get frequent headaches. Sleep is medicine induced some. Now I'm an older woman and when that time comes in the month I'm like BRACE YOURSELF. I never know what I'm going to get. My hormones are out of whack. I'm in hormone therapy and all else. But I want to hear y'all stories? (And please no one waste space by being critical of others experiences.)

A. I need to read what you went through?

B. What helped you?

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude and hope you take this constructively, but all of this sounds more like menopause symptoms to me than weight loss symptoms.

When my hormones were super out of wack (still are) and I was starting to improve them, I actually had some insomnia problems. My mom, going through menopause now, has lots of insomnia as well. Both of us have been historically wonderful sleepers. I will say mine has improved over time as I get used to my new energy level and diet while hers has been plaguing her for years.

Hormones can throw so many things off. It could be that this has a lot to do with your immunity issues as well. I do think that cleaning excessively and using lots of anti-microbials can actually make the germs you do come in contact with worse. I'm sure many will disagree with me. I subscribe to the theory that if you kill off all the germs, only the ones that are resistant will survive and thus will be the ones you are more often exposed to. That being said, I definitely believe in a clean house and you SHOULD try to kill germs regularly! I just also think that an excessive cleansing ritual may not be necessary or advised.

I wish you the best sorting it all out and hope you are feeling fantastic soon!

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with Alfie, it sounds like your symptoms are unrelated to your weight loss. I'd recommend seeing your doctor.

Edited to add, you posted this in the challenge forum? You probably won't get as many replies in here.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    PS Thanks to the mod who fixed that :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something to speak with your doctor about. Dieting can place your body under a lot of stress depending on how low you are eating, over what period of time, and if you are getting enough nutrition. If you are regularly ill, you may need to change a few things until this balances out for you. Are you getting enough fats, proteins, vitamins? If you are regularly logging your food here, print out your diary and consider seeing a registered dietician to get some support in making different choices that will improve your health.

As for supplements and herbs, keep in mind that just like medications, these can have negative side effects. What types of herbs are you taking for cleaning and germ killing?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    monetfuge wrote: »
    My immune system can't be controlled no matter the vitamin D and increasing iu, garlic, vitamin C, and herbs I take. Cleaning or germ killers I use. Plus I get frequent headaches. Sleep is medicine induced some. Now I'm an older woman and when that time comes in the month I'm like BRACE YOURSELF. I never know what I'm going to get. My hormones are out of whack. I'm in hormone therapy and all else. But I want to hear y'all stories? (And please no one waste space by being critical of others experiences.)

A. I need to read what you went through?

B. What helped you?

What you describe sounds like something that needs to be discussed with an endocrinologist and possibly a psychiatrist. It does not sound related to weight loss. (And no, I am not calling you crazy, insomnia and headaches are reasons to talk with a psychiatrist, and they can help in my experience).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of these being related to weight loss. I would check with a doctor . there could be something else going on.
  • monetfuge
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I've not heard of these being related to weight loss. I would check with a doctor . there could be something else going on.

Yeah, the thing is I have to point it out to them bf they would ask the right questions. I'll ask them if they could run down the list of questions and check for PCOS, other things esp. Hormones that could effect my immune system to see if I've got some kind of disorder bc I've been having to do tones of research to self diagnose and see what changes I could make naturally. OBGYN is already doing some hormone therapy and mental health is related so had to go to a psychiatrist and I'm prescribed for that as well. I have a Chiropracter to help the nervous system and back issues. Need acupuncture next. As far as sinus issues I've developed not sure besides staying on top of vitamins and my natural anihysthamines from the chiropractor. Maybe the body is going through a lot of change and stressed bc being thrown off due to a lot happening at once and I'm in a healing stage. It may regulate itself by next year after checking with the Dr. And keeping up with stuff I already know.
    Thanks much!
  • monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "What you describe sounds like something that needs to be discussed with an endocrinologist and possibly a psychiatrist. It does not sound related to weight loss. (And no, I am not calling you crazy, insomnia and headaches are reasons to talk with a psychiatrist, and they can help in my experience)."

Very good!!! An endocrinologist. Very specific advice. I'll have my psychiatrist look into it!!!

And oh yea, I am crazy or better yet a wild animal, who can't be domesticated.

lol , I'm only dangerous when....hungry.
    :wink:
  • monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    This sounds like something to speak with your doctor about. Dieting can place your body under a lot of stress depending on how low you are eating, over what period of time, and if you are getting enough nutrition. If you are regularly ill, you may need to change a few things until this balances out for you. Are you getting enough fats, proteins, vitamins? If you are regularly logging your food here, print out your diary and consider seeing a registered dietician to get some support in making different choices that will improve your health.

As for supplements and herbs, keep in mind that just like medications, these can have negative side effects. What types of herbs are you taking for cleaning and germ killing?

MAN, you sho right!

I really appreciate y'all? And obviously y'all can't say the same about your ... health. This makes heck a lot of sense considering my past till now.
  • monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    PS Thanks to the mod who fixed that :)

Whoops!
    That explains it.