KIDS ON HOLIDAYS......HELP ME!!!!!

Options
How do you keep motivated to workout when kids are on summer holidays?? All my time is spent cleaning and cooking...we tried walking but had a few run ins with snakes so that's out...my gym is in the shed and I get interrupted constantly and end up too annoyed to lift :( and now I'm emotional eating....I need help!!!

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Can you do it after they go to sleep ? Maybe give them 30 mins television time to watch a movie and then you work out while they are watching TV
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and we homeschool. My kids are.... 7 in March, 5, 2, and almost 3 months.

I work out with my older two as their P.E. while the littles are napping or when my husband is off, I get time for myself.

I also pre-cook, or pre-weigh, my breakfasts and lunches usually once a week so I can just quickly grab things.

I just plain don't give myself excuses. I had excuses for too long because of my health issues and now that they aren't hindering progress, I refuse to let anything stop me. I want to lose weight and I finally can now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Assuming they are in school, you find an activity that they can do (swimming with instruction, dance classes, bowling league, etc.) that gives you enough time to work out. For me, it was my DD going to dance class (hip hop, jazz).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Our kids are 8,9,11 and 13 we live outside a rural town so no extra activities for them to do. They are very very active kids and are always on the go. My struggle is I'm great when I have a routine but school holidays throws that into caos and routine just doesn't happen....yesterday I had all intentions of working out but a bogged log truck put that to rest, Friday I had all intentions of working out but I ended up having to go to town over an hour away by the time I got home I had to get the house clean and dinner on the way. I can't function without my home clean so I have to get that done first. But when the kids are home it seems to take so much longer to get done! I do lists on the fridge to get things done, I don't make excuses I just run out of hours in the day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If they're always on the go then just 'go' with them and get your exercise that way?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    With kids that old, I cannot understand really what the problem is. Divide chores among them and then go out together and walk, run, go on a bike ride, visit a pool, play ball and so on. Or just let them do their own thing for an hour or two and do your own workout. I cannot imagine any scenario where kids this age would constantly interrupt while you are working out. Don't they have any hobbies? DVDs, books, drawing, legos, the internet, board games? And if they are unable to keep themselves busy even for an hour, then definitely time to increase their chores!
    To give you an example, my kids ages are from 6 to 12 and all of them know that when they have no homework (even on weekends) things like folding laundry, cleaning their rooms, emptying/loading the dishwasher, making beds etc, are their tasks. And if they end up fighting instead of playing or seem too bored, the garden always can benefit from weeding, vegetables might need washing, a room might need vacuuming ...
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I do that but I don't class it as planned exercise...I jump on the trampoline, ride motorbikes, push bike ride, build dams in the creek.....I think that's why I run out of hours! I hate telling the kids to go away I like playing with them
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I assume your kids can read, so let them read this:
    KIDS, YOUR MOM LOVES YOU VERY MUCH, BUT NEEDS ONE HOUR A DAY TO DO HER EXCERCISES.
    DURING THAT HOUR YOU CAN NOT DISTURB HER.
    I REPEAT DO NOT DISTURB HER, ONLY IN CASE OF SOMEONE DYING OR THE HOUSE BURNS DOWN.
    SHE WILL REWARD YOU, WITH KISSES, HUGS, THANK YOUS AND A REALLY GOOD MOOD.

make them read it, plug in your earphones and the house will not burn down when you let them be alone for one hour. enjoy
  • summerkissed
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    With kids that old, I cannot understand really what the problem is. Divide chores among them and then go out together and walk, run, go on a bike ride, visit a pool, play ball and so on. Or just let them do their own thing for an hour or two and do your own workout. I cannot imagine any scenario where kids this age would constantly interrupt while you are working out. Don't they have any hobbies? DVDs, books, drawing, legos, the internet, board games? And if they are unable to keep themselves busy even for an hour, then definitely time to increase their chores!

We have a combined family my partners 2 boys (the 9 and 13 year olds) fight fight and fight even more no one else in the family will have them together at all ever but we do so its hard! They don't live with us, We have them every weekend but have them all school holidays. I have to be hands on with them or it caos!! My son has anxiety issues and the fighting between the other 2 boys causes issues with him. We only have internet on my phone and they aren't to use that, DVDs they don't watch, anything inside doesn't work for the kids they are too active to be inside (it's summer here) my gym is in the shed the second I go in there I get followed then I get interrupted! Last time I used weights the 9 year old ended up in a fight with his brother and got a blood nose. We tried walking but the snakes are out and about and I've had to many close calls! (Thank god my dog doesn't chase them) kids those ages are I think the hardest they get bored easy, it was easy with younger kids they are much easier to entertain!
    As I said I'm very hands on with them it helps keep the peace but I don't class it as exercise!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I really am thinking about forgetting weights and just waiting till holidays are over....I'm stressing myself out thinking about it!! There's enough trying to get the house clean and keeping the peace.....perhaps just trying to forget about planned exercise and focusing on keeping my diet on track :neutral:
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Odilerubia wrote: »
    I assume your kids can read, so let them read this:
    KIDS, YOUR MOM LOVES YOU VERY MUCH, BUT NEEDS ONE HOUR A DAY TO DO HER EXCERCISES.
    DURING THAT HOUR YOU CAN NOT DISTURB HER.
    I REPEAT DO NOT DISTURB HER, ONLY IN CASE OF SOMEONE DYING OR THE HOUSE BURNS DOWN.
    SHE WILL REWARD YOU, WITH KISSES, HUGS, THANK YOUS AND A REALLY GOOD MOOD.

make them read it, plug in your earphones and the house will not burn down when you let them be alone for one hour. enjoy

Ohhhh I wish!!! I did this with the ear phones that's when the 9 year old came in after being punched in the nose by his brother that was the last time I lifted weights
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    well, maybe you should just forget the excercise and fully enjoy the children and the time spent together... by the time you have during the holidays space to practise it means they have moved out and you will feel sorry for yourself you didnt spent even more time with them when you had the chance.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Odilerubia wrote: »
    well, maybe you should just forget the excercise and fully enjoy the children and the time spent together... by the time you have during the holidays space to practise it means they have moved out and you will feel sorry for yourself you didnt spent even more time with them when you had the chance.

Yes yes and even more yes, I love them all even if they are hard work! And I do know that I'll miss them when they move out combined families are hard work especially when the boys have a much different up bringing at there mums house to here at dads house! I'm going to try and just do a quick 5-10min plyometric circuit before breaky (weights on an empty stomach I can't do but quick cardio I might....ill try anyway) and just forget about heavy lifting which takes lots of intense concentration and energy.....less stress means happy mum