Did anybody watch "How to lose Weight Well - Channel 4" last night?

Options
Hi all

Did anybody watch the How to lose Weight Well Programme on Channel 4 last night?

They "tested" the following diets:

5:2 (500 cals 2 days a week)
Time Restricted Diet (10 hour eating window)
Alkaline Diet (80% Alkaline to 20% Acidic)
Bullet Proof Diet (Special coffee on am, solids 2-8pm)
All you can eat Diet (Mainly fruit/veg, some meat)
Master Cleanse Diet (lemonade & cayenne pepper drinks)

It wasn’t exactly scientific by only having one test subject on each diet and a couple of them cheating or giving up.

Especially the presenter who overdosed on diet pills before chowing down on a greasy curry and filming the after effects on the potty (nice!), notice we didn’t see toilet-cam on the brother who partook in the same experiment without the pills – could have been a dodgy curry!? but still a nice meal out for them both on expenses.

A lot of the diets had the proviso that you had to eat sensibly anyway: more fruits/veg, drinking more water, limiting red meats, cutting down on fats, alcohol, sugars etc. Basically sensible healthy eating but with something quirky built around it - time restrictions, drink this in addition to etc.

I did the 5:2 a couple of years ago but found the 500 calories too restrictive and became disappointed after no weight loss so I calorie count now (1500 daily).

Just interested in any of your thoughts/views on the programme itself or if anybody has tried any of these "diets"?

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I've recorded it. There was too much not enough Bowie on telly last night to watch anything else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    If it's a diet, it usually won't last. That's why the failure rate is 90%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it's a diet, it usually won't last. That's why the failure rate is 90%.

It's reviews of diets.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    No but thanks for the heads up, l'll watch that on 4od while I'm on the treadmill later! I love watching that sort of thing even if I do end up getting cross with the participants most of the time.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I watched it. Thought the two 4 month woman could have done better if they had just controlled calories.
  • uzovka
    uzovka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I watched it. That 2 sisters were excercising. If it was to show how the diets work, shouldn't it be about diets only? With added excercise they burned calories... Or I didn't get why the doc took 2 of the pills if recommended is 1?
  • DawnOssett
    DawnOssett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, a lot of it looked like calorie control just dressed up in a "special diet".
    Thought the girl on the "Beyonce diet" could have gone longer than two days though, not much will-power there, lol (although can't blame her really).
    Love programmes like this. Although, it's not sustainable but we've probably all done one of these "diets" at one time or other - I was made to go on boiled egg and grapefruit diets as a child.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Watched it and just wanted to scream to the people participating: "just join MFP, eat the things you love still but fit them into your calories!". I'm intrigued by the junk food diet preview for the episode next week.
  • Jo_2017
    Jo_2017 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every single one of the 'diets' reviewed ensured that the calories were restricted... The time limited eating meant she didn't eat any snack late at night, the Fast Food diet was simply calorie restriction (but really unhealthy as he 'spent' ALL of his calories on cr@p!!) - just take a look and you'll see there is NOTHING new - they're just given a name and a 'hook' but basically restrict calorie intake and, for the most part, late night eating and drinking. Of course people lose weight!!!!
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I really hope that after filming they said to the dieters 'look guys, this made fun TV but just count your calories properly and you'll be fine". As if the guy on the raw food diet isn't just going to go back to his old ways! Actually I hope he takes a leaf out of his mate's book and starts calorie counting.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what this programme is about. It's not teaching people how to lose weight well, it's just putting various people on different diets for short/medium/long-term and seeing if they lose weight. I had hoped there would be some more science behind it.

The majority of the diets included a calorie restriction anyway so they would lose weight if they stuck to it. Regardless of eating a grapefruit before meals or whatever woo that's tagged onto it.

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I watched it and was upset with the amount of fad diets on it but I guess just promoting CICO isn't very good for television ratings!! Still enjoyed watching it!