Ditching the scale to help maintain?

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Different people are different. I weigh every day because I KNOW I'm going to bounce around. I expect to stay within a 5 pound range and am happy when I do. If I weighed less frequently, it would become big deal to me and I'd worry and wonder if I was on an up swing or a down swing the day I actually measured. By measuring frequently, I've learned my wobbles and just accept them.

Like looking in the mirror and seeing my hair looks good or it looks messy - it's not a permanent thing, it's just what it is when I see it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's OK to weigh every day, BUT you want to do it with a scale that shows your percent of Body fat. If weight stays the same or even goes up a little, but your percent of body fat comes down, all is good!!! :)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for a year now, I can warn you its dangerous fixating on the scale too often. The way I see it, the scale was a tool to help me get a body I wanted. Now, checking I've not gained a lb twice a week doesn't make my body look any better, so I ditched it and focus on what my body looks like, isn't that the whole point of what we are doing? I work out too so the water retention in muscles can be off putting if I weigh too much. I weigh once a month now, just to keep tabs and I use my skinny jeans to gauge the rest! If they fit, im clearly fine! !
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on a Sunday.
    If my weight goes below 120 or over 124, it's time to do something.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Not weighing myself was one of the biggest mistakes I made. I can pack an extra 10 and not realize it.
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I go a lot of my clothes now I'm trying to maintain my weight. I've had to buy smaller clothes and take others in. I'm not weighing myself as often but I am still logging what I eat. It's frightening how many calories can be eaten with a little taste here and there if you don't log it.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I used to freak out until I learned that if I REALLY stick to maintenance I won't gain FAT or MUSCLE.
    I may gain WATER, FOOD, WASTE, GLYCOGEN, but these things are ever changing.

It's very peaceful when I jump on the scale nowadays. If I'm heavier I know why. This time it's because I ate my weight in Mexican food while in California for 2 weeks!!

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Keep the scale, but lose the anxiety over it. Find your natural variation in weight (for me this is 218 +/- 5 lbs) set a whiteboard showing this range and unless you go over, don't sweat it. If you do, tighten up on your logging and adjust accordingly. No worries and stay on you plan.

Clothing size is not a good indicator - too much variation and this leads to picking up bad habits and yo-yoing.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I generally weigh one day a week. I am also maintaining my weight. I have been logging pretty regularly on MFP for now two years and that has helped me with food portions. I enjoy eating most things...all in moderation. Once in a big while I may splurge but then bring that balance the very next day. I usually weigh on Friday mornings. I'm glad you are away from the scale a bit. All the best to you.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not weighing myself was one of the biggest mistakes I made. I can pack an extra 10 and not realize it.

So true!