New walking-centered routine, will it work?

Options
Hello, all!

I understand the basics (eat less than you move, cardio to shrink your shape, weights to sculpt the body, diet to lose weight in general, nutrition to control bodyfat), but wanna double-check with people that have more experience than I do before I commit to a routine that won't give me the results I'm looking for.

My goal is to lose roughly 10lbs, then switch to focus on maintenance and weight training in order to create a more solid-looking body at my new lower weight.

My plan for the weightloss portion is to walk (at least 3.5mph, on a good incline) on the treadmill for about an hour 3x per week, and then swim laps for 30-45 minutes the other 2 days per week. I will also be eating at a deficit with an emphasis on proteins and limiting my bread/cheese intake. If I lose around a pound per week, plus some margin for error, this should take about three months.

Does this sound correct? Do you guys have any pointers? The only reasons I'm not running is A. my knees are bad, and B. I am uncomfortably busty, and even two bras at the same time isn't doing the job and I end up hurting my back.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a reasonable plan to me. You don't have to wait until you reach goal to begin weight training though- why not do some now at the end of your walking session- eg 45 mins walk then 15 mins weights.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Hello, all!

I understand the basics (eat less than you move, cardio to shrink your shape, weights to sculpt the body, diet to lose weight in general, nutrition to control bodyfat), but wanna double-check with people that have more experience than I do before I commit to a routine that won't give me the results I'm looking for.

My goal is to lose roughly 10lbs, then switch to focus on maintenance and weight training in order to create a more solid-looking body at my new lower weight.

My plan for the weightloss portion is to walk (at least 3.5mph, on a good incline) on the treadmill for about an hour 3x per week, and then swim laps for 30-45 minutes the other 2 days per week. I will also be eating at a deficit with an emphasis on proteins and limiting my bread/cheese intake. If I lose around a pound per week, plus some margin for error, this should take about three months.

Does this sound correct? Do you guys have any pointers? The only reasons I'm not running is A. my knees are bad, and B. I am uncomfortably busty, and even two bras at the same time isn't doing the job and I end up hurting my back.

Your bit in brackets should be eat less than you burn, cardio to increase your TDEE, weights to sculpt the body, diet to lose weight in general, nutrition to optimise health

Pointers

Start lifting straight away to preserve LBM in defecit

Walking is great but doesn't need to be workout, just generally walk more to increase your activity

Cardiovascular health requires 2 x 20 min intense sessions per week. Cardio work earns more calories that you can eat. You don't need to run
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your routine is basically what I did when I was losing weight and it melted away. You will probably lose more then a pound a week with that routine.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yes that will work, well Good Luck on your Journey
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    1. I agree with the above posters...you dont need to wait to start lifting
    2. how many calories you burn from treadmill walking will depend a lot on incline and speed. I would recommend mixing those up to really challenge yourself.
    3. swimming is an excellent workout!
    4. when you are incline treadmill walking, DO NOT hang onto the monitor. Only use as much incline as you can handle while swinging your arms naturally.

good luck!!!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I've lost a lot of weight swimming and jogging in the past (I was 125lbs this summer!), but winter always makes me flabby :p