Chinese Food!

Options
Whether you are being good or bad... what do you get when you order Chinese food?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken and broccoli with sauce on the side. I usually make my own quick peanut sauce at home out of peanut flour, tamari, and some other ingredients.

Some restaurants do steamed meat REALLY well, and some do it terribly as I found out recently after 20 years of ordering it and always having a great meal.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like Mei Fun, usually with shrimp. I can usually get 2-3 meals out of 1 order.
  • erinistehawesome
    erinistehawesome Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I like Mei Fun, usually with shrimp. I can usually get 2-3 meals out of 1 order.

What all is in Mei Fun? I want to try new things but I'm always hesitant because I never know what is in them!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Fried Rice and an Egg Roll
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover of teryaki beef, general tsao chicken or sesame chicken. all of which usually come with broccolli. and i have a little rice with it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Real chinese? Or american chinese?

Mostly, if it's american chinese I get broccoli and beef.

if it's chinese chinese then I get mapo tofu, or spicy green beans.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »

What all is in Mei Fun? I want to try new things but I'm always hesitant because I never know what is in them!

Mei Fun is rice noodles cooked with veggies, egg and you can usually have shrimp, pork or chicken added. It's very light tasting and not very greasy, I think they cook it in broth with a little bit of cornstarch to thicken it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Depending on my mood, I like chicken lo mein or sesame chicken with pork fried rice and an egg roll. If I can't fit either of those things into my macros, I don't get Chinese food. Unless I'm not counting macros that day, of course.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I log it as "oh well" back to logging tomorrow...
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Szechuan shrimp with rice. mmmmm I make it myself too... not as good but still yummy. or I make orange chicken... well a variation of it. I never measure out ingredients and just throw in all the "Chinese" sauces I have and create something new every time lol like soy sauce, hoisin, sriracha, peanut sauce, ginger... it always tastes delicious. I make it with chicken usually and then either rice noodles or rice and I steam broccoli for myself as my bf doesn't like it
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    shrimp fried rice, white and either sesame chicken or general gau! yummmm
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Mei fun curry is one of my favorites! I also love house fried rice, chicken teryaki and steamed dumplings. If I don't have a lot of wiggle-room left in my day I'll get steamed shrimp & snowpeas with the sauce on the side.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my mother being a horrible cook and trying to force feed me horrid canned la choy Chinese food (vile and slimy), I'm actually afraid to try most fast food Chinese lol.

I do love a spicy sesame chicken with white rice. Hate fried rice. I've tried beef and broccoli from someone else's plate and found it to be salty, gelatinous, brown, slimy goo. :p

Now the real foods that I have had from people cooking in their own kitchens - some awesome stuff that I have no idea what it would be called.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is kung-pai chicken, but I usually get broccoli chicken when I am trying to stay in macros. I love, love, love hot and sour soup, too!
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my mother being a horrible cook and trying to force feed me horrid canned la choy Chinese food (vile and slimy), I'm actually afraid to try most fast food Chinese lol.

I do love a spicy sesame chicken with white rice. Hate fried rice. I've tried beef and broccoli from someone else's plate and found it to be salty, gelatinous, brown, slimy goo. :p

Now the real foods that I have had from people cooking in their own kitchens - some awesome stuff that I have no idea what it would be called.

I don't blame you, and sorry to say this cuz I found less than five Chinese restaurants that can provide real Chinese food so far in my ten years living in US (that number should be greater since I don't live in a big, major city). If they really know how to cook, even the pea sprouts can be very tasty with just white rice :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly if my kids want Chinese food I'll go to an Asian place that has sushi and get some miso soup and sashimi instead, lol. I'll only eat Chinese food if I have no choice because I actually don't really like American Chinese food (except sweet and sour chicken but it's not worth the calories to me to get a full order so I might steal a couple from my kids) and the stuff I like (fried rice, and sweet and sour chicken too) I can make for less calories at home.

I'll have some Wonton soup and steamed dumplings, or chicken or beef and broccoli. If I'm low on calories, steamed shrimp and veggies (I tried steamed chicken once... never again).

• lena383
    lena383 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is my weakness, and is way too easy to get living in San Francisco. Mongolian beef or bbq pork with tofu are my favorite. I could probably eat Chinese food everyday. LOL. I've been trying to make my own, healthier versions.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Commercially prepared North American style Chinese food has way too much sugar and salt in it for me. I absolutely love it though, so its either a blow the budget day, or I avoid it like the plague. I love spicy asian foods tho, so check out Indian food like chicken Korma, or a low calorie version of Butter Chicken - they do exist and they are pretty good. One of my favourites is Pad Thai. All these dishes can be made at home cheaper than going to a restaurant, and they can really satisfy an urge when it hits. I cook a lot of my meals from the cook books by Janet and Greta Podleski - Looneyspoons, Crazy Plates and Eat Drink and Be Merry. all available through on line bookstores. I like them because they only use what you can find in your average grocery store - no exotic ingredients and they are filled with tips and facts and funny info that makes cooking their recipes a joy.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Buddha's delight or another version of tofu and mixed vegetables. EXTRA spicy of course.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Our local place does a 'garlic noodle bowl' that you can add beef, chicken or shrimp to. It's to die for!