Here's Why Tracking Body Fat Is Important

2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    So you're trying to tell me I just shouldn't let a week with no noticeable loss in body weight despite a definite calorie deficit drive me crazy and look for other answers? I should just wait it out? Ugh.

Most definitely. Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks, you may lose nothing or gain a tiny bit. Other weeks, you may end mysteriously dropping 5 lbs. All while eating and doing pretty much the same thing. It's the long term trend over a matter of weeks/months that will tell you if what you are doing is working.

I like your username
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    My past month while in maintenance. BTW, that big drop in weight in the middle, that was my weigh in after getting back home from Christmas vacation and eating 5000 surplus calories over the week...

lg0lkpl7aeug.png
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I enjoy my WiFi Aria Fit Bit scale that also logs body fat. For me I don't really care about how accurate it is. I must admit that as the % goes down I get slimmer and as it goes up I start to see some evidence that I have put on weight. Of course the actual weight also tells me that too.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So you're trying to tell me I just shouldn't let a week with no noticeable loss in body weight despite a definite calorie deficit drive me crazy and look for other answers? I should just wait it out? Ugh.

Most definitely. Weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks, you may lose nothing or gain a tiny bit. Other weeks, you may end mysteriously dropping 5 lbs. All while eating and doing pretty much the same thing. It's the long term trend over a matter of weeks/months that will tell you if what you are doing is working.

I like your username

I only wish someone hadn't already taken "Enginerd" already. They aren't even an active user :disappointed:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    My past month while in maintenance. BTW, that big drop in weight in the middle, that was my weigh in after getting back home from Christmas vacation and eating 5000 surplus calories over the week...

lg0lkpl7aeug.png

That's nothing, I put on ten pounds during a long weekend (lots of drinking and eating). When I got back my scale displayed "Guest". I had to manually set my weight so scale knew who I was again.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member

Yes!

Since you are female, expect your weight to fluctuate with hormones.

You always get the the number you deserve. You don't always get the that number when you deserve it.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    "I should just wait it out? Ugh." Do I ever know what you mean! But seriously, if you wait it out, you will get your reward. What I do to comfort myself during the ugh period is take a lot of body measurements. I usually find that one or more of them are showing progress while I'm waiting for the scale to move again. I don't know a darn thing about body fat measurement, but inches are meaningful to me, as is the ability to fit into clothes I couldn't fit into before. I know a week feels like forever, but it's not, and after you've seen it happen for a week once or twice, and seen it move down again at the end, you'll start to believe that in your bones. Just don't get discouraged and fall off the wagon in the meantime!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Trendweight.com

4 weeks maintenance

do6u5akzgl8x.jpg

1 year, with 10 months plus in maintenance

z8fc0ch1nswv.jpg
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Nice tool! Thanks!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    OMG I WISH I could put on 2lb of muscles in a week. I wouldn't have to be bulking for months if that were the case!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You need a trending app
    Libra / happy scale

Or site
    Trendweight.com

Weight loss isn't linear

I want to thank you for the Trendweight suggestion. That really helps me not worry about the fluctuations as long as the trendline is downward.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have to wait out about 2 weeks of no weight loss every month. Then a tiny weight gain, and then woosh... it goes down, and there I sit for another two weeks. This has been happening now for 14 months, and its coinciding with my menstrual cycle. However, every month I've reliably lost between 4-6 lbs so it seems to be working regardless.