Tips to get better at push-ups?

Options
Push-ups are by far one of the hardest exercises for me, but I am determined to keep at it! I do them several times a week in my workouts (I do Tabata-style/Strength training classes 3-4x a week for 60 minutes that include push-up sets), but I don't seem to be getting any better at them. Right now I do them on my knees, and depending on the day I can do 5-10 solid ones before my form gets compromised. But I can't seem to progress! Any tips? Full push-ups are my Everest!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do them at different times, not in the middle of a cardio class. So that you are not tired and you can focus.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Start a weight routine and make sure you target your chest and triceps. If your strength class isn't improving your push ups then its probably not enough to stimulate much muscle growth.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Practice them on an incline. Gradually decrease the incline until you can do them with your hands on the floor. This works better than doing them on your knees. Also add bench presses and other chest exercises
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Practice them on an incline. Gradually decrease the incline until you can do them with your hands on the floor. This works better than doing them on your knees. Also add bench presses and other chest exercises

Yup, incline are better than doing them on your knees. You can do them at the bottom of the stairs, start higher up and gradually move down.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would pick a small number to start off with like 2-3. Then do 2 tricep, 2 bit wider, 2 regular, 2 bit wider, then 2 chest (really wide). I started off doing these with 10 each (turned out to be 50 total) then increased by 1 every couple days. You hit different angles and target different chest muscles with each range.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    build your triceps and lats . If you can do 5-10 on your knees, start out doing them strict and then only drop to your knees when you have to.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Yup, incline are better than doing them on your knees. You can do them at the bottom of the stairs, start higher up and gradually move down.

This all day. If you are working out at home, push a chair against a wall and do the push ups on that. A step up with adjustable heights would work too. At each level stay with it until you have the form and strength to do 12-15 without losing the proper form. Then, lower your incline and do the same. Rinse, repeat.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This all day. If you are working out at home, push a chair against a wall and do the push ups on that. A step up with adjustable heights would work too. At each level stay with it until you have the form and strength to do 12-15 without losing the proper form. Then, lower your incline and do the same. Rinse, repeat.

adding my vote, too! I did mine on my knees for ages and never made any progress. switched to gradually decreasing the incline along with bench pressing, and voila! magic.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    This article talks about push up progressions:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dive bomber push up looks great
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Do planks! Try to keep increasing your plank time and you'll get a stronger core for doing better push ups.