Treadmill or Elliptical

Options
Which is better to burn more calories & show results faster?

Thanks!

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Simple answer...Whichever one you will use. :smile:
  • perryat0928
    perryat0928 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The one that makes you want to do it again tomorrow. My preference is swimming but when I have to use the machine, elliptical because it used arms and legs.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You'll see better "results" (which I suspect is a euphemism for weight loss in this case) by regulating your diet.

Choose an exercise modality that you'll a) enjoy and b) improves an area of fitness that you are interested in
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    both,until you dont have to ask.......
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my experience wearing a HRM, the treadmill burns more calories than the elliptical. However, the elliptical is easier/safer for my bad knees.
    What results are you looking for? If you are looking to train for a marathon, i imagine the treadmill is better. If you want overall improved cardio health, i think either one is good. If you are looking for weight loss, the fastest results are eating at a deficit. You can't outrun a bad diet.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You'll see better "results" (which I suspect is a euphemism for weight loss in this case) by regulating your diet.

Choose an exercise modality that you'll a) enjoy and b) improves an area of fitness that you are interested in

truth
  • almstpurfect
    almstpurfect Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also if you pick the elliptical make sure you are adjusting the resistance. I see way too many people leaving it at level 1.
  • Howl2013
    Howl2013 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also if you pick the elliptical make sure you are adjusting the resistance. I see way too many people leaving it at level 1.
    I think this depends on your fitness level and how long you've been at it. Back in the day I would be on Level 5 or above, but I'm starting over again and I can get my heart up to 170 on Level 1.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice. Here's my experience (no science behind it)...running on treadmill burns the most, then elliptical at resistance, then walking on treadmill (unless at such a high incline that it's comparable to elliptical). Personally, I hate the elliptical because to me it's an unnatural movement, but I use the treadmill, but others are the opposite, so a treadmill is likely to sit unused.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Howl2013 wrote: »
    I think this depends on your fitness level and how long you've been at it. Back in the day I would be on Level 5 or above, but I'm starting over again and I can get my heart up to 170 on Level 1.

True. I think the point was to not start out too easy and stay there. Increasing the resistance on the elliptical and making it harder will increase your calorie burn and be much less of a waste of time. But, you do have to be careful to not over do it and risk injury.
  • Jesikuh094
    Jesikuh094 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask, I also want my legs and things to shape up as well. I dont feel like I am doing as much on the treadmill, compared to the elliptical, but I do have an issue with my heart that causes my heart rate to go well over 200 when using the elliptical on just level 5.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    if you want to shape up your legs, you should probably do some strength training.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The elliptical motions confuse my body lol.
    Coming from someone who runs.
  • Jesikuh094
    Options
    Lol. I do squats & other things, too. I just need something for cardio that isn't going to send me into cardiac arrest from my irregular heart beat. I can handle a lot, honestly it just makes me nervous when my heart rate is over 200.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    you can and should always pace yourself , on any piece of equipment.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Do you have an HR monitor? If you have a heart condition, I'd really suggest getting one and using it properly. You CAN still do cardio but, as @SonyaCele said, pace yourself.
  • charbame
    charbame Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you want to shape up your legs, you should probably do some strength training.

Also, consider basic Barre exercises using a chair helps to tone all areas of the lower body - glutes to toes. Tons of videos out there.
  • Jesikuh094
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Do you have an HR monitor? If you have a heart condition, I'd really suggest getting one and using it properly. You CAN still do cardio but, as @SonyaCele said, pace yourself.

Thank you so much! I will try to purchase one of them!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Jesikuh094 wrote: »
    TaraTall wrote: »

Thank you so much! I will try to purchase one of them!

If you have a heart condition you should get a recommended medical one...certainly one with a chest strap
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    For buying a machine, I would choose the elliptical because it offers a low impact cardio workout that I can use as an alternative to actual running. I happen to live in a part of the US that has good weather year round so if I want to run I'll just go outside and run, the elliptical is a good option for rainy days or those times when I can't get out during daylight hours.

If you haven't already, get that arrhythmia checked out just to be sure and then you won't have to be nervous because you'll know the deal.