Am I eating too much!

Options
Hi I am 5'9 and 242 pounds, I am looking to lose approx 70lbs, I have lost 6lbs the last two weeks. I am keeping my calorie intake at around 1260, I don't do much exercise as I suffer with arthritis and fibromyalgia, I log absolutely everything I eat, but I often feel very full at this intake. I almost feel like I am eating too much and will not lose the weight. I think I am eating healthily. Any advice on how I am doing would really help. Will I lose the weight doing this?

Replies

• alyurete
    alyurete Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight eating that amount of calories.
    Are you getting enough fiber? Are you eating a lot of sodium? Anything that causes you to retain food or water will stall your weight loss on the scale.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise going any lower. If anything I'd add a few calories to ensure you're getting adequate nutrition.

Of course, a lot depends on how accurately your 1260 is calculated.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you increase the amount of fiber in your diet or change your macronutrient ratios from your previous diet (that is, more protein or fat)? Many people find that when they change their diet to include more fiber, protein, or fat, they feel fuller and it's hard to eat "enough." Or sometimes the excitement of going on a diet makes us feel more satisfied with fewer calories (I have no idea how this works exactly, but it happens to me for sure). Most people find that as they spend more time with their calorie goal, they no longer feel so "full."

If you feel uncomfortable, try looking at what you're eating and substituting some less filling foods for the more filling ones you are eating.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating too little. I plugged in your stats (I had to guess at your age) at the Scooby Workshop calculator and got that even with a sedentary job you should be eating about 1750 calories.

Six pounds in 2 weeks is great. The important thing is to keep going. You won't lose a lot of weight overnight. You have to be patient and keep plugging away.

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Six pounds in 2 weeks and you are worried about eating too much? Not at all. Stick with what MFP gives you, or go a bit higher. 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen - don't worry about not being able to exercise - just move as much as you can.
  • jusbar71
    jusbar71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am eating a lot more fruit veg and salads, usually a bowl of bran flakes, special k or 2 weetabix for breakfast with skimmed milk
  • jusbar71
    Options
    Oh and when I log my calories I think I usually slightly over add rather than under add
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    1260 is pretty low. You're not over eating.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, and 179 pounds, and I am losing at 1930 calories per day.

I calculated your TDEE at sedentary at scoobysworkshop.com. Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is 2263 calories.

You must insure you know how many calories you are truly eating. To do this, you have to buy and use a food scale. Weigh and log all your foods. Eat less than your TDEE by 20%, which is 1810 calories.

Be aware that as your weight drops, your TDEE will drop and you would have to recalculate.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    EDIT: I looked up your age. Scooby says you should be eating about 1,900 calories. So I was off about 200 calories.

I'm the same age as you and have been using this calculator for the last 2 years. It works so I trust what it says.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    With that diet, make sure you're getting enough protein! Your body can be starved for protein, but still feel full if you're getting enough fiber.
    I know it's hard to exercise with chronic pain, but have you looked into swimming, or just getting into the pool to move around with impacting your joints?
  • nwppwn
    nwppwn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1260 seems reasonable for a woman. Maybe try swimming for exercise if you have a local YMCA or something like that you can join. Figure out your total daily energy expenditure using an online calculator and go from there. Using an online calculator and assuming you are say 25yrs old and do no exercise it calculated 2195 for your TDEE. So subtract 1k from that if you are trying to lose 2lbs a week and you get 1195. Sounds like you're fine, you will need to recalc as you lose weight.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Oops, I guessed low on the age. I thought you looked much younger than you apparently are.

I'm 40, so the 1900 calories per day should be a good goal for you too.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    nwppwn wrote: »
    1260 seems reasonable for a woman. Maybe try swimming for exercise if you have a local YMCA or something like that you can join. Figure out your total daily energy expenditure using an online calculator and go from there. Using an online calculator and assuming you are say 25yrs old and do no exercise it calculated 2195 for your TDEE. So subtract 1k from that if you are trying to lose 2lbs a week and you get 1195. Sounds like you're fine, you will need to recalc as you lose weight.

Why in the world would you subtract 1,000 per day?!?
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Well first off that's awesome that you feel overly full at 1260ish calories a day.. some folks feel like they're starving at that many. I def wouldn't drop below 1200 for nutritional reasons. Keep eating as you are and re-assess in a month or so! Tweak your diet as you go, but don't stop eating because fibrous foods are filling you up.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jusbar71 wrote: »
    Oh and when I log my calories I think I usually slightly over add rather than under add

But are you weighing & measuring portions?

Most of us "think" we are estimating high...but research has shown we (as a whole) vastly underestimate unless you're weighing & measuring.
  • jusbar71
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I think you're eating too little. I plugged in your stats (I had to guess at your age) at the Scooby Workshop calculator and got that even with a sedentary job you should be eating about 1750 calories.

Six pounds in 2 weeks is great. The important thing is to keep going. You won't lose a lot of weight overnight. You have to be patient and keep plugging away.
    Hi I am curious what age you calculated me at? Thanks for the advice by the way. Justine
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I guessed 30...then I went and looked at your profile. You definitely do not look your age.
  • nwppwn
    nwppwn Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I made the assumption she was trying to lose 2lbs a week which translates into 7k cal. Subtract 1k a day to lose 2lbs a week. If trying to lose 1lb a week subtract 500.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I made the assumption she was trying to lose 2lbs a week which translates into 7k cal. Subtract 1k a day to lose 2lbs a week. If trying to lose 1lb a week subtract 500.

I would personally prefer not to be hangry...