SL 5x5 questions ....

Options
adelinue
adelinue Posts: 98 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello!
I want to join a gym and begin the SL 5x5 program. Anybody in here tried it before? I'm in it to lose fat, hopefully shape up a little and gain some strenght. Does it really work? And is it okay to do it with a calorie deficit? (I'm staying at around 1200-1300cal a day)

Also; in the program they say no Cardio in rest days (there's 4 of them!) but what about Cardio after the workout (same day) -if i'm up to it of course? And can I do some Yoga/Pilates along with the program? I've achieved some good flexibility that i'd like to maintain and expand upon

For a little background; i have never done weight lifting in my life. I was a complete couch potato until November, at 30.0BMI (Obese) I decided to take control of my life. I've mostly done PiYo (basically Yoga, Pilates and some low impact bodyweight work) and TurboJam (Cardio) along with running. I have lost for now a bit over 35lbs and have another 15lbs to lose to goal (Altho goal was to cut completely, I was planning to begin weight lifting AFTER). I really would like to lose that 15lbs by the second half of March (Spring break).

Thank you!

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1200-1300 calories/day is too little unless you are really short/small. You should eat to lose at most 1% of your bodyweight per week. 1200-1300 calories/day is likely to lead to too large of a loss. Eating such low calories is counter productive to building strength/muscle and you aren't likely to get your needed micro/macro nutrients. Sure, you won't build a much (if any) muscle in a deficit, but eating so low your body sacrifices extra LBM is stupid.

Now on to the rest.

Many people on this forum use SL5x5 and it does work.

I've been running it for ~10 months now (give or take a tiny bit of time due to injuries/vacation/whatever) while losing weight (SW220, CW175) and I'm 5'11". I just recently deadlifted 300lb (started ~120lb), I just put up 265lb on squat (started ~120lb), and bench 182.5lb (started ~100lb). Run the program as designed and feed your body and you'll see results.

As for cardio, SL5x5 is focused on strength. Cardio goes against what the programs primary goals are. You can do cardio if you want, and you'll still get good results, but you'll have to see how much cardio your body can handle before you aren't seeing the gains you should be making in SL5x5.

However, the cardio aspect is immaterial if you are not feeding your body properly.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ^This.

If you haven't already, just search through some of the heavy lifting forums and see what it has done for people. I used SL when I first got into free weights a few years ago; I thought it was a great program to get me started. Good luck!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Yes I've done it before and yes it works. You can do it on a deficit, although as a guy, I'd bump up your minimum to 1500kcal.

Cardio: it might say not to do cardio on the rest days, but there are plenty of us that did. It's easier to do when you first start as the weights are relatively light, but as they get heavier, you may need to tone down the cardio to keep from getting injured as it will be hard for your body to recover especially while on a deficit.

I'll warn you that lifting can be addicting and you may find that you want to slow your deficit in order to lift heavier weights. When I started I went from 235 to 185 doing almost entirely cardio with a little p90x worked in...that was all the weight training I had done in my life.
    v8sr5j5j8xuu.jpg
    you can see the difference physically when I started lifting even though I only dropped 3 lbs in about 3 months. The other photos are going through a couple of bulk/cut cycles while still running SL 5x5.

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1200-1300 calories/day is too little unless you are really short/small. You should eat to lose at most 1% of your bodyweight per week. 1200-1300 calories/day is likely to lead to too large of a loss. Eating such low calories is counter productive to building strength/muscle and you aren't likely to get your needed micro/macro nutrients. Sure, you won't build a much (if any) muscle in a deficit, but eating so low your body sacrifices extra LBM is stupid.

Now on to the rest.

Many people on this forum use SL5x5 and it does work.

I've been running it for ~10 months now (give or take a tiny bit of time due to injuries/vacation/whatever) while losing weight (SW220, CW175) and I'm 5'11". I just recently deadlifted 300lb (started ~120lb), I just put up 265lb on squat (started ~120lb), and bench 182.5lb (started ~100lb). Run the program as designed and feed your body and you'll see results.

As for cardio, SL5x5 is focused on strength. Cardio goes against what the programs primary goals are. You can do cardio if you want, and you'll still get good results, but you'll have to see how much cardio your body can handle before you aren't seeing the gains you should be making in SL5x5.

However, the cardio aspect is immaterial if you are not feeding your body properly.

Great info. I'm using the app from the very beginning as I'm new to lifting and want to work on my form. While the weight on the bar is low, I'm doing cardio on rest days (just so I can eat more!), but I'm sure I'll have to cut back when I start lifting heavy.

ETA: I noticed a decrease in my running performance after just the first week of SL.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I added SL5x5 along with circuits I had been doing. As you progress to heavier lifting you may want to alter your program to fit with your goal. Your progress may stall without focus. The SL5x5 program can help you get noticeable definition along with strength. The compound lifts are part of my life now along with other circuits that help my goal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love SL 5X5s and agree with @nordlead2005 . Six weeks of SLs progress:

ypbw65ab0152.jpg

I'm 5'9, currently 179 lbs, 40 year old female. I'm currently lifting 195 lb squats, 80 lb OHP, 200 lb deads, 125 lb bench and 115 lb rows. I usually tack on a couple extra exercises at the end now, but I didn't when I first started. I've been doing SLs for about 14 months. I don't do a ton of cardio, maybe once a week. I do lift while eating in deficit, but not an extreme deficit. My daily calorie goal is 1930.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    adelinue wrote: »
    Hello!
    I want to join a gym and begin the SL 5x5 program. Anybody in here tried it before? I'm in it to lose fat, hopefully shape up a little and gain some strenght. Does it really work? And is it okay to do it with a calorie deficit? (I'm staying at around 1200-1300cal a day)

Also; in the program they say no Cardio in rest days (there's 4 of them!) but what about Cardio after the workout (same day) -if i'm up to it of course? And can I do some Yoga/Pilates along with the program? I've achieved some good flexibility that i'd like to maintain and expand upon

For a little background; i have never done weight lifting in my life. I was a complete couch potato until November, at 30.0BMI (Obese) I decided to take control of my life. I've mostly done PiYo (basically Yoga, Pilates and some low impact bodyweight work) and TurboJam (Cardio) along with running. I have lost for now a bit over 35lbs and have another 15lbs to lose to goal (Altho goal was to cut completely, I was planning to begin weight lifting AFTER). I really would like to lose that 15lbs by the second half of March (Spring break).

Thank you!

You are a young male. 1200-1300 calories is way too little. I would personally suggest using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get a calorie goal estimate. Don't go any bigger than a 20% deficit. Set your calorie goal manually, and they eat that much every day. No eat back of exercise calories as they would be included. It should get you a much more reasonable calorie goal. BTW, 1200 is considered the minimum for females, for males it is 1500. NOTE, That is MINIMUM, you should be eating more.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Of course it works for building strength. I could barely lift a noodle when I started and now I can deadlift 3 plates (315lbs). You can do it with a deficit but you'll probably stall on your progress much earlier than if you ate around maintenance or a small surplus. It sounds like your deficit is pretty aggressive. I might consider raising your calorie intake closer to 1800/day if I were you.
    You can definitely do cardio/yoga/pilates on rest days.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 HOLY SMOKES! Well done. I'm toying with the idea of doing SL again and you have literally pushed me to get started. Excellent work!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    @quiksylver296 HOLY SMOKES! Well done. I'm toying with the idea of doing SL again and you have literally pushed me to get started. Excellent work!

Thanks. I was a little apprehensive about posting that.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello!

You can't maintain a significant calorie deficit and plus do cardio, yoga/pilates, and weights. You are trying to get your body to go in several different directions at once.

You have to figure out your priorities.

Here is what I do:

I keep yoga as a pretty constant 2-3 times per week. In the Spring and sometimes Fall, running is a priority for the non-yoga days. During the summer and winter, weights are a priority for the off days.

I like the exercises in SL 5x5. I've had a few strains from trying to increase SL 5x5 weight too fast. Now I modify the program so I do not add weight every workout. I add weight until I reach a plateau. Then I hold that for several workouts. When I feel ready, I carefully bump up the weight again. My goal is to build strength slowly and avoid injury.

At 46 years old, I don't recover from injuries quite as quickly as I used to.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

That's a great transformation. I understand the feeling of apprehension, but you've already done something awesome.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

That's a great transformation. I understand the feeling of apprehension, but you've already done something awesome.

Still working on it, too! ;)
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Did y'all buy the converse or do you just use normal shoes? I have some minimal cross-training ones which I find I prefer over my runners.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Did y'all buy the converse or do you just use normal shoes? I have some minimal cross-training ones which I find I prefer over my runners.

I have knock-off Converse from Wal-Mart.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just use an old pair of chucks I had lying around.
  • adelinue
    adelinue Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your insight!
    So I probably will up my calorie intake lol. I was following MFP's set goal (1260cal). If I follow scoobyworshop's calculator; it's 2000cal per day which seems like A LOT to me. I mean, I didn't really feel hungry with a 1200cal but i'm guessing i will once I start lifting lol. So probably gonna switch to a 1500-1800cal diet; althou I guess I have to change somethings in my diet to not go overboard on my macros. Btw any advice on that? What macro should I focus on? Some tell me to eat more protein and less/no carbs (beside those from vegetabes/fruits). Is that a good/healthy idea?
    @quiksylver296 OH MY! That's an awesome transformation! So happy you put it up; definitly made me eager to start lol.
    @McCloud33 ^^ Same thing ^^ Great motivation too, i'm basically the same weight and bodyfat % as you were when you started SL 5x5 and i'll be aiming to achieve something similar!

@goanothermile What i gathered from the answers here is that I'll probably wait and see what the workouts gonna be like. If they tire me out; I probably won't add Cardio. My mind is already taxed with med school; don't need to tax my body too lol. I'll keep doing some Yoga in the week end tho; I grew quite fond of it x)

@TaraTall I planned to use some flat baskets like these : http://www.royaltings.com/images/chaussures-baskets-sport-rasta-lion-judah.jpg Think it'll do okay?
  • DaddieCat
    Options

I use Vibrams when I lift. Closest thing to barefoot I've found without bare feet. I've used converse and don't like the high top on them, personally.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your insight!
    So I probably will up my calorie intake lol. I was following MFP's set goal (1260cal). If I follow scoobyworshop's calculator; it's 2000cal per day which seems like A LOT to me. I mean, I didn't really feel hungry with a 1200cal but i'm guessing i will once I start lifting lol. So probably gonna switch to a 1500-1800cal diet; althou I guess I have to change somethings in my diet to not go overboard on my macros. Btw any advice on that? What macro should I focus on? Some tell me to eat more protein and less/no carbs (beside those from vegetabes/fruits). Is that a good/healthy idea?
    @quiksylver296 OH MY! That's an awesome transformation! So happy you put it up; definitly made me eager to start lol.
    @McCloud33 ^^ Same thing ^^ Great motivation too, i'm basically the same weight and bodyfat % as you were when you started SL 5x5 and i'll be aiming to achieve something similar!

@goanothermile What i gathered from the answers here is that I'll probably wait and see what the workouts gonna be like. If they tire me out; I probably won't add Cardio. My mind is already taxed with med school; don't need to tax my body too lol. I'll keep doing some Yoga in the week end tho; I grew quite fond of it x)

@TaraTall I planned to use some flat baskets like these : http://www.royaltings.com/images/chaussures-baskets-sport-rasta-lion-judah.jpg Think it'll do okay?

Those shoes will not be optimal for lifting. There will be too much flex in the sole which will create some instability. You want something that is not cushion-y at all.
  • quiksylver296
    edited January 2016
    Options

I use Vibrams when I lift. Closest thing to barefoot I've found without bare feet. I've used converse and don't like the high top on them, personally.

I have the lower ones. I don't think I'd like the higher ones for lifting, either. Like this:
    2dnrdf2u804f.png