Cold Weather and over-eating

Options
Just want to hear that I'm not alone on this: Have lost 50 lbs in the last year counting calories; I'm pretty good in the self-control department, but these recent arctic temperatures are making me feel like I have to eat more heartily to keep warm. I've been cold since losing the weight, and I deal with it - wool socks over dress socks for work; 4 layers on top including turtleneck and sweater everyday, hot coffee all morning, hot tea all afternoon, jumping jacks at my desk, but the last 3 days, man, losing control over the food intake. It feels instinctual, like I need the extra fat layer for winter. My office and living room are drafty, and the wind is howling. I find myself exercising in the evenings just to warm up (not bad motivation, I guess). Anyone else struggling with cold-related over-eating? Do you ever feel like you need to eat to get warm? Solid food - not hot drinks?

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, sometimes it is too cold to bother walking to the kitchen :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I get depressed in winter time. I eat a lot when I get depressed. Could it be the same thing? I take extra vit D to help.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    maybe try healthy versions of soups?
    I'm making a potato leek soup out of Runner's World cookbook.

soups help me feel warm and cozy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hardy foods don't necessarily have to be calorie bombs. I make a tone of stews and whatnot this time of year...they are all hardy, delicious, packed with nutrition, and pretty easy on the calories. Most soups and stews are this way unless you're using lots of cooking oils, butter, cream, etc.

My biggest issue with winter is that my activity level in general drops and I sit around the house more which is boring and makes me want to munch on stuff.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i'm drowning in soups...black bean, french onion w/o the cheese, leek, lentil, butternut squash, all homemade. I think the combination of cold and tired is just getting to me. i've always also had the problem of getting cold when I'm hungry, since I was little. Cold and hungry is not a good set-up for moderation.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. January and February are hard. I think of them as my hungry months. The only good thing about summer is that the heat and humidity kill my appetite.