Lunges

Options
Hi guys
I've started doing a body pump class at my gym and one of the moves is forward lunges. These have always felt awkward and wrong to me but after a lot of practice I find I can only seem to do these on my right side. It's almost like my brain won't compute the move when I try to do it on the left. I bend the wrong knee, get unbalanced and wobble all while feeling very uncoordinated and clunky.
My question is whether there is a way of getting my body to do this move? any tips on how to do lunges that may help?
My class teacher says stick with squats if lunges are to tough but I've managed to master them on one side so I'd like to be able to do them on both.
Thanks in advance x

Replies

• jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This might stem from a weak hip. I know my form was off on squats until I built up my hip strength. Often, one hip is weaker than the other. You might want to try some strength exercises for your hips for a few weeks to see if that helps.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also, if possible, I would start with my weak side- and maybe even use some support. But do try not to work your 'good' side too much, or more as this could create imbalances in muscle etc.

Also have a go at reverse lunges, in the beginning of my strength training I would do these as I found them much easier for my knees. Now no issue whichever direction I do it!
  • AnemoneWoodshadow
    AnemoneWoodshadow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness, thankyou for the swift reply.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh and lots of stretches!! (pilates/yoga moves) make it part of your regular routine.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    With lunges remember to keep your feet about shoulder width apart-ish even when stepping. Don't allow your feet be in line front to back. Keep your head up and eyes forward. The floor isn't going anywhere. Try to have your core engaged throughout. Don't let your shoulders creep up to your ears, which was easier if I stuck out my elbows some and kind of had my forearms around level. I got better at lunges and balance after I started working on those things. I had to play with foot placement both how far forward I stepped and how wide my beginning and lunge stances were to find a stable position.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can use the TRX to assist with lunges until you are able to master them. Or do them without the body pump weight