Exercise After Laparoscopic Surgery

Options
Trying to get a "sample" of opinions. I had laparoscopic surgery on the 27th (two weeks ago). It was not as easy to heal from as the idea that was given to me at the time. Regardless, I'm to the point where I can walk at a decent (though not fast) pace for about 20 minutes before I start getting noticeably fatigued or sore. Although I'm not in a huge rush (I want to heal correctly), I'm hoping to get clearance from the doc on the 22nd to begin upping my game a little.

So - question: If you've had laparoscopic surgery, how long did it take for you to get back to your old routine? Any "lessons learned" along the way?

Replies

• slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    wait for Dr to clear you. They are not kidding about the weight restrictions on lifting things. I had a laproscopic appendectomy done and thought it would be a good idea to carry too many grocercies up the stairs about a week later. Left me crying all night from the pain. All said and done though I only took about 4 weeks to get all healed up, but it was a very minor surgery. I was only in the hospital for about 10 hours total
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    wait for Dr to clear you. They are not kidding about the weight restrictions on lifting things. I had a laproscopic appendectomy done and thought it would be a good idea to carry too many grocercies up the stairs about a week later. Left me crying all night from the pain. All said and done though I only took about 4 weeks to get all healed up, but it was a very minor surgery. I was only in the hospital for about 10 hours total

Good to know. I made a bit of a misstep with a grocery load just last night thinking I was more healed up than I really am. Ended up uncomfortable, for sure.

Thanks!
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah - i personally am about to have a laproscopic surgery in a few week and have already been warned that i need to allow 4-6 weeks to heal... don't rush it - the gym will still be there when you're 100% again
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy that way 7 weeks ago just got clearance to go back to my regular workouts
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I got my tubes tied and was cleared 2 weeks later. I was still slightly sore, so I eased in to it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was banned from all core exercises I think at least six weeks. I complied religiously.
  • a2wom
    a2wom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterctomy four weeks ago and am just starting to feel like more strenuous exercise. I have been walking. Dr said six weeks though. It was a five hour surgery so still get tired sometimes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    4-5 weeks. But it partially will depend on the surgical site. Once I got back to my routine, I was pleased with how quickly I was back to my previous performance level. Good luck.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    Thanks, all! *Sigh* It looks like at least a month is the norm before I can start slipping back into it. It's not unexpected, but I'm just getting twitchy.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Please wait, I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically, did not do anything I shouldn't have and I ended up with a hernia that took 5 (2 were 5 day hospital stays) repairs to take! It's hard to be patient, but just keep the short walks up or whatever the dr has approved, better to get it over with now than be down even longer or again!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I was fine to exercise within the week, but it was on my jaw joints ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Trying to get a "sample" of opinions. I had laparoscopic surgery on the 27th (two weeks ago). It was not as easy to heal from as the idea that was given to me at the time. Regardless, I'm to the point where I can walk at a decent (though not fast) pace for about 20 minutes before I start getting noticeably fatigued or sore. Although I'm not in a huge rush (I want to heal correctly), I'm hoping to get clearance from the doc on the 22nd to begin upping my game a little.

So - question: If you've had laparoscopic surgery, how long did it take for you to get back to your old routine? Any "lessons learned" along the way?

Yeah ... I've never healed as quickly and easily as they suggest I should when I have had laparoscopic surgeries. I always get the impression that I should be back to normal in about a week ... but that has never happened.

Maybe it's because my normal is quite active. Normal for me is going for 6 km walks and/or hopping on my bicycle and riding 50 km and/or spending half an hour lifting weights and/or climbing 40 flights of stairs ...

Maybe when the Drs are thinking of normal, they're thinking of someone who might walk 1 km and do a bit of housework.

The only time a Dr has told me to take it easy for longer than 1 week after a laparoscopic surgery was when I worked in childcare. I was told not to go to work at all for 1 full week, lest I be tempted to lift a child ... and when I did return to work, I was not to lift children or anything else heavy for another 3 weeks.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomy. 6-8 weeks. At six Dr. had me start easing in REEEEEALLLLY slow. Took about a month to work up.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    chey282 wrote: »
    Please wait, I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically, did not do anything I shouldn't have and I ended up with a hernia that took 5 (2 were 5 day hospital stays) repairs to take! It's hard to be patient, but just keep the short walks up or whatever the dr has approved, better to get it over with now than be down even longer or again!!

Yikes! Yep - that's what I'm nervous about. My stomach has felt sort of "detached" from my core muscles too, so that makes me a little extra scared to just jump in and try too much right now. (That's a weird way to describe it, but it's the best word I can think of - it's an odd, odd feeling.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I will be having surgery soon to repair a hiatal hernia so I am interested in the answers too. In addition to the lifting and exercise restrictions, I will also have 3-4 weeks of dietary restrictions. Basically pureed food for 1-2 weeks, minced and soft for 1-2 weeks, then gradually reintroduce normal foods. I will be loading up on Greek yogurt and things I can add to it like protein powder and green powder for the first weeks. Getting my carbs in won't be an issue because I love mashed potatoes and Cream of Wheat. It is the other stuff, especially the protein I need to really aim for.
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone - take it slow! I had laparoscopy a few years ago and recovery was so much worse than what I expected. Just make sure you walk regularly throughout the day just to keep moving and make sure things heal properly, but don't rush into anything. Good luck!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I had an inguinal hernia repaired in June. Doc wanted me to start walking (easy pace) the next day, or as soon as I felt up to it. Walked 2 miles the day after surgery and felt great. But no running or resistance training for 8 weeks.