So much bad info!

Options
Every time I join a Facebook group I get frustrated and leave because of all the bad information. I just want to join a FB group where I won't get told to "eat clean" and "go on a detox." Someone actually told another woman that 2% milk was bad and not to drink it everyday. I also see "eat 5 meals a day." When I said I only eat 2 meals but I get my calories in I got told my body will go into "starvation mode". I am so done with it. Why all the bad information?? If I say anything that goes against what everyone else is saying I get ganged up on. I am working with a dietitian from the hospital. I am going to take her advice over some random person on the internet. I am just looking for a supportive FB group.

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have made a lot of money off "bad information." That's why it lingers. They sell it and stupid and/or desperate consumers buy it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    Every time I join a Facebook group I get frustrated and leave because of all the bad information. I just want to join a FB group where I won't get told to "eat clean" and "go on a detox." Someone actually told another woman that 2% milk was bad and not to drink it everyday. I also see "eat 5 meals a day." When I said I only eat 2 meals but I get my calories in I got told my body will go into "starvation mode". I am so done with it. Why all the bad information?? If I say anything that goes against what everyone else is saying I get ganged up on. I am working with a dietitian from the hospital. I am going to take her advice over some random person on the internet. I am just looking for a supportive FB group.

good luck with that on fb lol
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Behind most of those Facebook groups is a MLM product.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    FB is a cesspit of bad information, unfortunately. So many woo-peddlers and MLM sales people.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to Facebook for that garbage, there's plenty of it here on MFP. Look at the thread below this one for example.

d92malpl6ceq.jpg
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I'm starting to agree :(

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who works at herballife. We don't talk about her work any more
  • qpmomma1
    Options
    You don't have to go to Facebook for that garbage, there's plenty of it here on MFP. Look at the thread below this one for example.

d92malpl6ceq.jpg

I need to just stick to MFP.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

If anyone of those MLM's worked, then it would be all over the news.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am laughing, not at you, but it sounds exactely as pregnant women: they go totally nuts with everybody giving them advise.
    You know what is worse: being fat and people starting to tell you about this wonderful diet, Im like Did I actually ask this?
    Once I reacted to the person: well, I know a very nice store where they sell these very nice glasses... he asked me what I meant: I said, well, did you see the glasses you are wearing now.....
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm an admin for a healthy living group on FB. I squash that nonsense the second it pops up.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

d92malpl6ceq.jpg

In all honesty, it's often not much better. Too many people who still believe in woo and old wives' tales that won't die. As you read through threads and get a feel for it, you'll start figuring out which posters are advocating science/evidence-based material and which ones are spouting fairy tales based upon fiction.
  • qpmomma1
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    I'm an admin for a healthy living group on FB. I squash that nonsense the second it pops up.

What group?

• qpmomma1
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

d92malpl6ceq.jpg

In all honesty, it's often not much better. Too many people who still believe in woo and old wives' tales that won't die.

Yeah, but it seems that the bad info gets called out.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »

You must be quite busy with that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

d92malpl6ceq.jpg

In all honesty, it's often not much better. Too many people who still believe in woo and old wives' tales that won't die.

Yeah, but it seems that the bad info gets called out.

Yes, that part is true at least.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

I was a member of one of the Jillian workout groups on FB....Horrible. VLCD recommendations, praises on extremely fast unhealthy weight loss, MLMs, hours and hours of workouts per day, fear of certain food groups, and a LOT of he said she said BS... And when the ad info gets called out, a SWARM of attackers were sure to be nearby.

All I wanted was workout buddies. Eh.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Stick with your dietitian. Most people just spout off at the mouth--chiming in with their opinion as a fact.