Group running

Options
Being in the military makes it hard to meet people in the community. This leaves me running alone, and since I'm not a great runner to begin with, it kind of gets boring.

Today I was running around the park and a few people caught up with me, obviously much better runners than me. We never exchanged words, but I could feel the mm almost pushing me, that motivation got me to run a much faster mile than I'm normally comfortable with.

Need to find that more often

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Check if there are local running stores near you. Often they will have a weekly fun run where you can casually drop in. Great way to find other runners who can challenge you.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    There are also running clubs all over the place; some require paid memberships but some do not. I just joined one for the purpose of joining in on the group runs. I've always run alone, too, because I'm slow, but I agree that running with faster runners motivates you to pick up the pace and challenge yourself. Sign up for some races, too. That's also a great way to meet fellow runners and challenge yourself.
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Check if there are local running stores near you. Often they will have a weekly fun run where you can casually drop in. Great way to find other runners who can challenge you.
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    There are also running clubs all over the place; some require paid memberships but some do not. I just joined one for the purpose of joining in on the group runs. I've always run alone, too, because I'm slow, but I agree that running with faster runners motivates you to pick up the pace and challenge yourself. Sign up for some races, too. That's also a great way to meet fellow runners and challenge yourself.

I never thought about checking the running stores, great idea. Thanks. I am trying to up my pace for a longer distance before joining races, just a complex I have. It was great today, park is beautiful too. Can't wait to do it again friday
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    try meetup.com? I'm not sure how active it'll be in your city, but there are quite a few running meetups around me. Some groups will charge fees, but most are community-driven and free.
  • bigbodybake
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    try meetup.com? I'm not sure how active it'll be in your city, but there are quite a few running meetups around me. Some groups will charge fees, but most are community-driven and free.

Will check that out, thanks
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Do this! I joined a running group through a local shop last April and it's totally changed my running. I love the social aspects of group runs (as a grad student, it's great to talk to non-academics sometimes!), and the support I get from other members has pushed me to make huge improvements. Finding a group will guarantee that at least one run a week will NOT be boring! :)
  • bigbodybake
    Options
    Thanks, I get off Friday I will certainly be looking around