Prepping to be a dad for the first time!

Options
Hi all!

Thought I might start a thread for anyone else in a similar position. My wife and I are due in March with our first child and I want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success when the baby gets here.

My workouts have been consistent for a long time, but I need to buckle down on my nutrition and make sure I create good habits now because I know it won't get any easier :) Anyone else out there have success maintaining good habits when your baby arrived?

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your baby! We went completely organic. It was hard but pretty quickly, we felt the difference. Energy was better, food tasted better, quality of sleep was better, less stressed. All good things with a newborn. We also co-slept with both our children. They barely cried and ate immediately when they needed to. Less stressful that way... At least for us. Good nutritional intake really affects your whole life, adults and little ones! You're doing a great thing. Health is one of THE best gifts you can give your child as far as I'm concerned.
  • tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm sure making those changes were tough at first but it sounds like they paid off! And I totally agree, being healthy for your family is an amazing gift :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Honestly the best way to prepare is to NOT have expectations. Breastfeeding may not work out. Co sleeping may not work out. You just don't know until you're in the thick of it.

You can expect to be sleep deprived but it will be worth it.

When you get closer to the due date, you could freeze a lot of healthy meals and buy convenient healthy snacks. Time will be of the essence!

Best wishes and enjoy!
  • tmuellenberg
    Options
    Thanks for the perspective and that's an awesome idea on making some freezer meals! I hadn't thought of that and will definitely do it. Being sleep deprived is the one thing I am expecting to happen for sure!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider: you won't be able workout whenever you want. It will take some planning and negotiating. If you're used to getting up early in the morning to workout, you may need to also allow time for your wife to workout (or sleep!!). Same for evenings. My husband and I still make time to workout but we rely on each other to watch the kids.
  • dmurphy1975
    dmurphy1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Like others have said be prepared for anything. When my girls were born we tried to rework our exercise around them more, long walks or bike rides worked great. Once they were old enough for solid food we ground up what we were eating and made our own baby food. This has paid off as we have kids who will try any food their given and have good eating habits (their 8 & 10 now).
  • tmuellenberg
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice again! We both workout at home but do it at different times, so hopefully that will still work. But I'm sure more coordination will be needed. That is an awesome idea about making your own baby food, I definitely want to do that!
  • tmuellenberg
    Options
    Down about 14 lbs in a month and feeling great! Still have a ways to go to hit my goal, but I'm loving my 30-40 minute workouts and portion system :)
  • Aubrey_Montgomery
    Aubrey_Montgomery Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My first son was my driving force to lose weight. I didn't want him having a "fat mommy". I lost 75lbs and am due with #2 in June! Feel free to add me!
  • tmuellenberg
    Options
    Wow, 75 lbs down, that's amazing @Aubrey_Montgomery! Congrats on #2 as well!