Skewed View?!

Options
I am having an issue with the perception of my body. Over the past 5 months or so I have lost approx 40 lbs.

I am wearing smaller clothes. Every person I know has told me they can tell I have lost. I feel much better and don't get as hot as often. (LOL on that.. I was a walking furnace!)

My issue is... When I look in the mirror I still see that fatter person staring back at me.

How can I get my perception to match my success? Thoughts?

Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's very normal. Give it some time for your brain to catch up with your body. :smile:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Try taking pictures, especially if you have some "before" pictures to compare your current photo with. When I look in the mirror, I don't realize how much weight I've lost the way that I do when looking at old pictures.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take weekly - yes, weekly - pictures. (My profile picture.) It helps me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Be glad your perception is that you are heavier than you are. Much better than being delusional that you "carry your weight well" or "don't look as heavy as you are". It takes a bit for your mind to catch up up with reality and it seems for most of us that no matter where we end up we can still see all the flaws no one else sees.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I get surprised when I catch myself in a mirror, or see a photograph. It is actually kind of nice, and makes me feel good. It does take awhile for our minds to catch up. My advice, look in the mirror alot, and take pictures too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced that what we see in the mirror is about 50% what we expect to see. And losing weight, changes happen so gradually, it's hard to really notice them when you see yourself every day. It's like watching grass grow. Same goes for gaining weight. I didn't think I looked any different and would have sworn my clothes just shrunk in the dryer.

I'm a big fan of photos. I've been maintaining 2 years now, and I still think, "Is that really how I look?" when I see pics. Photos are like super-cheap therapy for me. Same poses, same clothes or type of clothes (the less the better), and from all angles.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still see myself as chubby all the time. Pictures help, though.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Some days I can see the progress I've made, other days I just feel fat. Like they ^ said, pictures really help. Measurements too.