Weight lifting vs. Cardio

Options
I have about 35 pounds to lose. Should I continue with all cardio until I reach my goal weight then add weights? If I do start weight lifting now should I do it before cardio or after?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift and plan to lift, the best time to start is now. If you do not want to lift now, there is no reason to lift later either. Either you like weight lifting or think it will help with fitness/health, or you do not. There is no set weight when it becomes more or less appealing.
  • mattfieller
    mattfieller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would start to lift now. You will not gain weight from lifting weights. Muscle building is a very slow and gradual process. The weights will however help elevate hormones and calorie expenditure. Hope this helps
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Third the start lifting now.
    It will help retain your muscles while you are losing.
    Do a 3 day 2 day split. Which you do for the 3 days is up to you, but a lot of the weight lifting programmes for beginners are 3 days.
    I do mon/wed/fri for weights with a 10-15 min warm up on the rowing machine. It gives me a bit of cardio for the day and engages all major muscle groups.

You don't have to start with a big heavy barbell. Start with hand weights and body bars, and watch lots of videos on form.
    You could also start with a body weight routine, then move onto weights. Nerdfitness does a good one.

Cheers, h.
  • tlehde13
    tlehde13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now! And yes you do it before you do cardio (like running). My trainer says you don't wanna use all your energy on running then lift. Also start slow. You don't wanna hurt yourself right off the bat. You got this! Lifting free weights helps engage the whole body. You feel it everywhere. I just did my measurements after on week. Down 2 lbs and 3 inches total! I'm ecstatic
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Strength training should never be put off
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift now.

I generally lift and do cardio on separate days but it's up to your own preferences and goals. Aren't you a big runner? I think I remember that. You probably want to do it on different days.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    The only regret I have is not starting lifting earlier.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Do both. Like lisalsd1, my main regret is not starting lifting over a year ago when I started losing weight.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    :D All of these responses are exactly what I wanted to hear. I've been wondering this for a long time. A lot of people were telling me that I should do cardio to lose the weight and then lift to fill in the yucky skin at the end, but I always wondered WHY? I started lifting anyway, and even though I plateaued in weight (because I wasn't tracking likely) I still lost inches anyway.

The first time I lost weight it was all with body weight exercises, I lost a lot of weight, but when I was at the weight I am right now, I didn't look nearly as good as I do right now.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Lift now, start light. It is easier and safer to start very light and increase as you feel you can. Avoid injury, start light.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I never believed in cardio only. While that helps the cardiovascular system and will cause weight loss, ignoring the muscular / skeletal part of your body will hurt you when you get older. You might very well gain weight at first as you've lost "fat" weight already, so you would most likely be putting on muscle pounds. Don't measure by the weight number alone...look at your bodytone. As far a cardio vs. lifting first, generally I'd say lifting, but it really depends on your workout. Cardio, within reason, can be a good way to lube up the body. So doing 10-15 minutes cardio first, then lifting, then ending in more cardio works for me, and I lift heavy. I also try to separate my cardio when possible. I.E. lift then go back to gym or use cardio machine at home to burn off energy with cardio. Remember also, a nice brisk walk works well too...don't have to run or do it all on machines.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Start strength training now !
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lift now!!!
    I love what lifting has done for my body. I'm still 20 lbs from my goal weight but I am losing inches fast and nothing jiggles!
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

^ Yep.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The title of the thread should be weight lifting AND cardio. They compliment each other.
  • tlehde13
    tlehde13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :D All of these responses are exactly what I wanted to hear. I've been wondering this for a long time. A lot of people were telling me that I should do cardio to lose the weight and then lift to fill in the yucky skin at the end, but I always wondered WHY? I started lifting anyway, and even though I plateaued in weight (because I wasn't tracking likely) I still lost inches anyway.

The first time I lost weight it was all with body weight exercises, I lost a lot of weight, but when I was at the weight I am right now, I didn't look nearly as good as I do right now.

Now that I've started lifting I don't know what I'd do without it. I feel so much better! My running is better and my body as a whole feels better. I dropped 30 pounds when I started running but I didn't do any weights. I felt better but I still wasn't happy. I had no tone. Now, I can feel my body transforming and I feel stronger. It's amazing!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

Me too.....

I do cardio on alternate days, but otherwise it would definitely be before lifting.

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Why not both at once? Dancing with weights can be fun!
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I've been wondering this SAME THING! :)

I've been reading through the threads about lifting and looking at how great people look when they've been lifting and wondering why so many people wait until they're down in weight before starting to lift because it seems like having more muscles from lifting would help so much in burning all the extra fat I've got going on. All the comments about doing "body recomp" after getting to goal weight is so confusing to me. I'd rather do it at the same time as working on getting to my goal weight.

I'm just starting in this weight-loss thing (for the x-dozenth time) and this past week I decided I'd start doing some body weight strength exercises every other day and do aerobic videos on the other days (because I think they're fun). I've only been doing it for a week, but already I can tell that this is a lot more fun than just doing cardio day after day. I feel like I'm getting stronger! And it feels awesome!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

I've been wondering this SAME THING! :)

I've been reading through the threads about lifting and looking at how great people look when they've been lifting and wondering why so many people wait until they're down in weight before starting to lift because it seems like having more muscles from lifting would help so much in burning all the extra fat I've got going on. All the comments about doing "body recomp" after getting to goal weight is so confusing to me. I'd rather do it at the same time as working on getting to my goal weight.

I'm just starting in this weight-loss thing (for the x-dozenth time) and this past week I decided I'd start doing some body weight strength exercises every other day and do aerobic videos on the other days (because I think they're fun). I've only been doing it for a week, but already I can tell that this is a lot more fun than just doing cardio day after day. I feel like I'm getting stronger! And it feels awesome!

That's really great! Finding things to do that are fun is half the battle. LOL! And you're right. The more you strengthen your body the better off you'll be overall. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often enough is how lifting helps with bone density. That's enough reason in itself to start picking up heavy things (or doing body weight). :smile: