Can anyone help me.

Options
Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
I started losing weight a few years ago. I went from 168lbs to 105lbs. I am 5'2.
Everything was great until I hit the paleo fad a year later. It was amazing for about 8 months. I was lean and had a six pack and felt wonderful but I suddenly started binging.

Two years later and 50lbs heavier I still continue to binge or over eat. I can't portion control or stick to a calorie goal. If I don't eat at least 2,000 calories a day I binge. But at 2,000 I am putting on weight and weigh 140 and it only goes up. Since I'm short.

I need to eat about 1,500 calories to lose about a pound or less. Can anyone suggest how I can stick to a calorie goal and not binge eat? I have no idea how I was so successful a few years ago, it was so easy and now it feels so impossible. Diary is open.

I don't even want to get back down to 105. 120 would be nice.

Replies

• tclarkie1
    tclarkie1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you have to set your mind that you will only eat a certain amount of calories and work out at least 3 days a week. this is the only way that is working for me. I watch what I eat and workout for at least 1 hour whether cardio or whatever you want to work on just move...good luck
  • Makoce
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do strength training three days a week plus cardio. It's just also hard because I get up so early thay ruins a lot of my calories for the day because I have to eat breakfast.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I'm just always hungry and it feels like I'm always white knuckling through it.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey Makoce...been there done that too. Lost almost 50 pounds, and put it back on. Yet, I did workout, just that other things took their toll. Definitely eating breakfast is good, but I know what you mean in that it seems to then not allow you much for the rest of the day. My first thought, without knowing details, is should you do more cardio for awhile, somewhat less strength training, and see what happens? Looking at your pic, you definitely look good, and I see the results of the strength training. Its really infuriating when we see the weight come back on, but, to some extent, it is a never ending battle. Also, what do you eat? Are you focused on protein vs. carbs? Anyway, I'll send you friend request, if you want my further support. Good luck either way...you did it once, you can do it and keep it, just need to figure things out.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I usually always hit my protein goal at least. And breakfast is usually the most dense in protein. I do love veggies but they don't help much.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Was paleo too restrictive? How did manage to drop the weight before that?
  • Makoce
    Options
    I ate what I wanted and lost before paleo. But I was always hungry and shakey. I thought paleo could help and it kept me totally full. But I crashed probably from being so low carb and so restrictive yes.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Makoce wrote: »
    I ate what I wanted and lost before paleo. But I was always hungry and shakey. I thought paleo could help and it kept me totally full. But I crashed probably from being so low carb and so restrictive yes.

That shouldn't be happening. Have you had a medical exam recently? Or prior to this happening? Could it be a blood sugar issue rather than fewer calories?
  • Reneebycakes
    Reneebycakes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You say you meet your protein goal, but what is it set at? The MFP standard is a bit low, try setting it higher and eating more of those filling foods. Really examine your diet and how it makes you feel (what helps you stay full, what leaves you wanting more, etc). Try new things, change it up until you get it right.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I believe it was a blood sugar problem.
  • Makoce
    edited January 2016
    Options
    But I had blood work and don't have diabetes or anything. I think it's just because I ate sugary foods and crashed.

My macros are 40c/40p/20f
  • BZAH10
    Options
    Well then, that could make a difference as far as whether a paleo-type diet will work for you long-term or not. I'm no expert on the blood sugar thing, so I'd consult your doctor and/or ask for a referral to a registered dietitian. Types of foods and how often to eat is probably something you should look into.
  • Makoce
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It defiantly won't work for me long term. I can't restrict myself or I binge now.

the only way i mathematically can't go over is if I skip dinner because I've used all my calories by then.
  • BZAH10
    Options
    I know you said you're hungry and have to eat breakfast, but have you tried a smaller breakfast? Smaller meals and snacks more often may help.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I think my diary is public if anyone's curious, but yeah, I'm just ravenous all the time. I need to gorge myself to feel satisfied.
  • Makoce
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's an example. I had oatmeal and a protein shake for breakfast. Two hours later I'm hungry. So I ate a protein bar and am still hungry.
  • avotarian
    avotarian Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I may have just missed it because I'm surprised no one has brought up water. are you remembering to drink a *kitten* ton of water all day? before, during, and after your meals?
  • Makoce
    Options
    I try to drink a lot of water yes. I always have a gallon jug with me.
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes too...dropped over 50lbs 3 years ago felt great and comfortable and pounds started to pack up again. I'm now exactly where I started but trying again.

I noticed for me if I get a large breakfast I'll be hungry in no time, but when I eat smaller portions I don't feel as hungry. Same thing when I have a big dinner, the next morning I wake up starving! so i try to keep my portions small and have 4-5 meals a day only and as far as hunger seems to work fine.

I feel that when it comes to dieting and exercising, at least while I adjust to a new routine, for me is better to start with one only (at least for a couple of weeks) when you feel you're comfortable again controlling your calories then incorporate workouts. Having too much all at once could be frustrating and overwhelming.

Also, don't look at the scale that much (I know, it's not easy!), feel it in your clothes or tape measure.
    There's a website you might be interested to look at: www.venusindex.com , you have to join and it could be pricey but worth it specially if you are into weight training, and if you're open to different diet approaches.

I'll friend you....I'm going through the same thing....60lbs for 2016! We can do it!!
  • Makoce
    Options