Intermittent fasting, anyone try it or does it??

Options
2»

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    16 8 has always worked well for me in the past it just doesn't fit my schedule right now. I'm enjoying 5/2 so far
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love IF.. I usually do 16:8 but have recently adopted fasting days in the mix. It helps me a lot
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I do Keto and my normal eating pattern is one meal per day, so 23:1, with extended water fasts regularly, of 36-72 hrs. I love fasting!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've eaten on a slightly modified 16:8 for much of my life, even before I heard it called IF. I just don't eat much at all during the day, then eat at night. I have 200-500 calories through the day, then eat the balance later in the day. I've made attempts to modify that some lately, since on workout days I just have too much left to eat late in the day.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've done one for a few months and liked the results but wasn't crazy about the long gaps in between. I did a modified 20:4 where I only ate in a 4 hour window without a calorie restriction. Lost around 20 lbs in just under 4 months but it's not sustainable in my opinion
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep hearing about this type of fast where you eat only in a 7 hour window and last meal must be 3 hours prior to bedtime.

Here is a group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's just a strategy that makes it easier for some people to manage their calories. Some people don't mind a little bit of hunger as a tradeoff to be able to eat larger meals on a diet. Think about it like this: if your maintenance is 2000 calories and you usually consume roughly 500 for breakfast, skipping breakfast would help you eat your lunch and dinner in familiar portions while still keeping a 500 calorie deficit. It works for some, but not for others, because some people don't function well when hungry and some people already skipped breakfast (consuming the majority of their calories at lunch and dinner) while overweight, so putting a label on their usual routine and calling it IF doesn't do much for weight loss.