Ovulation Weight Gain

Options
Jonna13
Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I know about retaining water during TOM, but what about ovulation?

I have been maintaining (one day I gained) for the past few days despite staying within my caloric intake and exercising. The only reason I can think of as to why I could be retaining water is I'm ovulating.

Does this sound about right? Common?

Anyone else retain water during ovulation, and if so, when does the water weight disappear?

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but it's disheartening looking at the scale and no change day after day.

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I do, and it goes away again in three or four days.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Every month. I gained 2-3LBS at ovulation. That increase typically lasted 2-3 days.

It IS common. It IS a thing. Don't get discouraged
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Ditto....if you're "maintaining" that's a good sign. I gained 2 lbs. Overnight. Blah....it's gone now.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I use libra to track my weight.
    It helps to see trends.
    It's interesting to me that I can tell where I was in my cycle just based on the graph.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yep, every month I gain during ovulation. Typically 2-3lbs and they come off over the next week (not in one go). Then I gain again during my period.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • alexandrakendal
    alexandrakendal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes. I find ovulation much worse than my actual totm but I gain a little then too.

Isn't it such a pain to basically never know what progress you're making, except for maybe 10-14 days of the month?
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    Yep, every month I gain during ovulation. Typically 2-3lbs and they come off over the next week (not in one go). Then I gain again during my period.

Yup, me too.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too, it's normal
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »

Yup, me too.

I can be up to 6 pounds during ovulation and then my body doesn't let it go until after my period. Thanks to my birth control I can gain and lose in 14 days.
    Yes. I find ovulation much worse than my actual totm but I gain a little then too.

Isn't it such a pain to basically never know what progress you're making, except for maybe 10-14 days of the month?

Yep. There are pretty much 2 weeks during the month when I can get an accurate weight.
  • JayLeoFrost
    JayLeoFrost Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me too! Glad I'm not the only one it was really discouraging to me at first before I realized what was going on.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

It's a stinker for sure but I think it also shows us females that we have to focus on the bigger picture out of necessity.

I do not gain mid-cycle at ovulation because I do not ovulate on birth control pills but I do gain at my period. I'm trying to move to a monthly weighing schedule... We'll see! It's hard to stay off of it.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well glad to know I'm not the only one! I guess I'll just have to wait it out-it's frustrating being a woman while trying to lose weight. I also gain 3-5lbs a few days before TOM.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I ovulated yesterday...

1/9 - 172.6
    1/10 - 173
    1/11- 174.6
    1/12 - 175.8 *ovulation
    1/13 - 172.6

I usually see a 3-4# spike.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's a worth exercise for a couple of months tracking your weight and cycle to see if you can see how much you gain during your cycle. That gives you peace of mind that it's hormonal not actual weight gain.
    For me the last couple of months I haven't had weight gain at TOM but this month I saw scales go up 2kg over 4 days and had the worst craving for carbs in ages.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I get really hungry at ovulation. And sometimes falter and usually gain even if I don't. But it does chill a few days later and goes back down. I actually don't have this issue at TOM. Being a chick is so much fun sometimes!!

It will pass. Stay on track.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep. I gain weight when I ovulate. And it usually sticks around and then I gain even more during my period. I basically have one lean week out of the month lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Daily fluctuations are completely normal whether or not you're ovulating.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For me on a normal cycle it's about 2-3lbs. I put it on over a couple days before ovulation then lose it in a day or two after. I only gain about 1lb during TOTM...put it on the week before and lose it a few days after it starts.

Now...Clomid....is a different story. I'll gain 2-3lbs when I take the pills. Another 2-3lbs when I ovulate then another 2-3lbs right before TOTM. If didn't concieve I would lose like 8 lbs after TOTM came. When I did concieve....I didn't lose the weight because TOTM didn't come.

I'm going back on Clomid hopefully next cycle so I get to look forward to the Clomid bloat.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yep. I gain weight when I ovulate. And it usually sticks around and then I gain even more during my period. I basically have one lean week out of the month lol

Pretty much. Then you eat brussle sprouts and lose those oblique lines lol.