LOWERING SUGAR

Options
Would following a diabetes diet help with lowering my sugar? Is there a good place to read up on this to learn more about it? I don't have diabetes but I tend to go over on my sugar and would love to find substitutes that are safe and still good (and feel like I am cheating but not).

Thanks for your help.

"Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up! (Jimmy V)

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about diabetes diets, but couldn't you just use MFP to see where your sugar is coming from and cut down on those items if you think it's appropriate? (Personally, I don't worry at all about sugar from fruit or veg or dairy.)

Also, depending on your sugar limit and where the sugar, going over may not be something to be concerned about. The MFP limit is based on total sugars and is quite low if you have a low calorie goal (15%). The normal recommendations about sugar are based on added sugar (although they are lower 5-10% of calories). I've yet to see anything that suggests that total sugar matters if you get it from fiber and nutrient rich sources.
  • Saelith
    Saelith Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    So, there's two types of sugars. There are artificial sugars, like in candy, sweets, etc. And there are natural sugars, found in fruits and other foods not tampered with.

To avoid having a high sugar level you must maintain regulation on both of them though. Even though sugars from fruits aren't like artificial sugars like in a candy bar, they are still bad for you.

My advice for you is this; if you want to have something sweet throughout the day, cut up some strawberries/blueberries/peaches/Grapes, and put them in a small container. This will allow you to regulate the amount you are eating, as well as supplying yourself something for that, crave.

It's not bad to eat a candy bar once un a great while. But the problem I've found is the urg to say, "it's only one" , but then it becomes two.

You don't need a diet for diabetes if you are able to regulate it like such.

I hope this was helpful

For any questions feel free to message me or add me.

-Alexander
  • 2katlover
    2katlover Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Saelith wrote: »
    So, there's two types of sugars. There are artificial sugars, like in candy, sweets, etc. And there are natural sugars, found in fruits and other foods not tampered with.

Not really. The sugars are basically the same -- different mixes of fructose and glucose (that's what sucrose is made up of, as well as the sugar in fruit). Dairy is largely lactose. The difference is that a huge source of added sugar are products that are low in nutrients and fiber, whereas fruit and veg obviously are good for you.
    Even though sugars from fruits aren't like artificial sugars like in a candy bar, they are still bad for you.

I've never seen anything credible supporting this claim. The recommendations from health organizations about sugar don't apply to whole fruits or vegetables and even recommend that the average American eat more of them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Diabetic diets are lower carb diets. So consumption of all carbs other than fiber is reduced. Fiber is usually increased.

If you want to lower only sugar then a diabetic diet might not be the way. The best way is probably to simply eat less added sugars. Get most or all of sugar from fruits and vegetables. Fruit does contain a lot of sugar so if you are worried about total sugar then you should limit to 1 or 2 servings of lower sugar fruits like berries.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    2catslover wrote: »
    Would following a diabetes diet help with lowering my sugar? Is there a good place to read up on this to learn more about it? I don't have diabetes but I tend to go over on my sugar and would love to find substitutes that are safe and still good (and feel like I am cheating but not).

Not sure there is a "diabetic diet" with any credibility, having seen photos posted by diabetics in hospital.

If you were to open your diary (settings, scroll down to change to Public bottom left) we could see what you were eating and make suggestions. You should have a 45g allowance per day if not re-run the goal setting here.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Following a diabetic diet if you aren't diabetic could do more harm than good in the long run. Better to up your protein and fiber and just reduce total carbs (including sugar).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Following a diabetic diet if you aren't diabetic could do more harm than good in the long run. Better to up your protein and fiber and just reduce total carbs (including sugar).

How could following a diabetic diet hurt?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - it's known as a Low Carb Diet, keeping carbs BELOW 100 grams/day. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution has a good plan for lowering sugars and carbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

To avoid having a high sugar level you must maintain regulation on both of them though. Even though sugars from fruits aren't like artificial sugars like in a candy bar, they are still bad for you.

My advice for you is this; if you want to have something sweet throughout the day, cut up some strawberries/blueberries/peaches/Grapes, and put them in a small container. This will allow you to regulate the amount you are eating, as well as supplying yourself something for that, crave.

It's not bad to eat a candy bar once un a great while. But the problem I've found is the urg to say, "it's only one" , but then it becomes two.

I hope this was helpful

-Alexander

sugar = sugar
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I hope this was helpful

-Alexander

sugar = sugar

Huh. We agree on this. ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if you are not a diabetic and have no medical reason to avoid sugar then it is perfectly fine to include sugar as a part of your overall diet. Just make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition, hitting micros, and meeting your calorie targets. IF you find that sugar is putting you over on calories or preventing you from getting adequate nutrition, then, yes, you should find ways to reduce it.