Trying myFitnessPal again. Tired of dieting, but need to lose some weight.

Options
I have a good 40 lbs to lose, but I'm so tired of trying to eat low carb, or don't eat this, don't eat that. Don't eat gluten, don't eat sugars, it's always about deprivation, and food manipulation. After years of losing and regaining the same weight, I just want to be normal and find balance. I think this app and forum, will help. This time once and for all.
I will be so happy to find new friends to embark on this journey with.

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    CI/CO is the way to go. You'll have those telling you that you should not eat processed foods, don't eat anything you can't pronounce, yada yada... but to many that is where the fallout happens. Just start tracking what you eat, making sure to stay within your calories, and you'll find your happy place. Don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy!
  • Soccermom54952
    Soccermom54952 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! I have been around and tried all that as well, and I think things work differently for each person. Portion control seems to be our worst enemy in our home and badly processed foods lol. Hopefully this year is much better!!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you love to eat, only smaller portions so they fit into your daily calories. :)
  • verlaine01
    verlaine01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Soccermom54952 and clobern80, you two are right about that!!!! I never used the forums or friend system with myFitnessPal , I think it will help me feel less alone. And yes I just wants to eat normally again and control my portions. Sometimes I go all day without stopping and I don't get a chance to eat supper, then I end up eating anything I can get my hands on when I finally get the chance to eat. I think that's where the downfall is, hopefully if I track things I will pay more attention.
    Great to meet you
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I tried Low Carb, I tried 5:2 Fasting... in the end, they work but I couldn't keep them going. For me, it is really about calories in and calories out, moderation and balance, working your meal plan the best you can, and forgiving yourself a few off days (life happens!).
  • verlaine01
    Options
    Hi lasmartchika, nice to meet you too, and I agree...real food, portion control. :)
  • claudiamg84
    claudiamg84 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    verlaine01 wrote: »
    I have a good 40 lbs to lose, but I'm so tired of trying to eat low carb, or don't eat this, don't eat that. Don't eat gluten, don't eat sugars, it's always about deprivation, and food manipulation. After years of losing and regaining the same weight, I just want to be normal and find balance. I think this app and forum, will help. This time once and for all.
    I will be so happy to find new friends to embark on this journey with.

I so understand where you're coming from, and right now I am trying to find balance as well, without deprivation bc I know I can't give up my carbs lol. I will always want pasta and bread, that's just a given. Balance is key!
  • verlaine01
    Options
    Chaagy, hearing yours and others' stories, really makes me realize that I am not alone. Thanks so much for the encouragement.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat ... I can lose 20# then always gain back at least 10-15 of it. I really want to get to that place where I can keep it all off...MFP helps alot but i always seem to drop it when life gets busy and fun (summer).
  • verlaine01
    Options
    Claudiamg84 and 212ackley, so nice to meet you both. I have tried myFitnessPal often but lose motivation. I never had tried the community, I think it will make a difference.
  • snazzycee
    snazzycee Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - I just started back using MFP about a two weeks ago..I was on WW for 3 yrs and it worked but it became to be really expensive so I got off of it 6moths ago and my weight started to creep back up. Its been hard trying to do it alone and the struggle has been tough. I am looking for friends who can share my journey and keep me motivated in the process. I have about 15 lbs to loose.
  • verlaine01
    Options
    Hi snazzycee, I found these forums, exactly because I didn't want to spend on weight watchers. But I know support is key. Feeling that you're not alone. And to have other friends encouraging you. Great to meet you.
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What lots of people are telling you and what lots of people told me, it's not about any of that stuff! You can eat whatever you want. As long as it fits in your calorie goal for the day. So you'll end up eating healthier my default. Instead of having a bagel for breakfast you'll find something else so you can make your whole day work. Or whatever!!
    It's been working for me. I've been at it for a week and I've lost 2 lbs. so I'm excited to see What next week will bring ;)
  • georgieemmarobinson
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Georgie and I am 18 years old. In November 2015 I had a full ACL knee reconstruction and have been trying to get fit again. I put on a lot of weight due to being unable to exercise or even walk at points. I have put on a lot of weight. I've never been slim, but I've really noticed recently, and I hate it. I really hope this community can help and offer me some support for something I find very difficult!
  • coloradokat78
    coloradokat78 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have about 30 pounds I would like to lose. I think balance is the key! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fcalderon91
    fcalderon91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal allows me to have balance, keep my sanity and enjoy all of the foods that I like without having to binge eat like I once did in the past. Verlaine01 I hope that you strive for a better you and balance, good luck!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Then don't diet. Diets fail because they are too restrictive. Make small changes that you are able to sustain forever. Lifestyle and mindset changes work. Make room in your food choices for all the things you like, just in proper portions. I love caramel. I eat caramel. I love wine. I drink wine. Sometimes, I drink wine while eating caramel. I also eat tons of vegetables on those days to counteract the calories. You can do this.
  • Kay2016Sexy
    Kay2016Sexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm new too Just joined MFP yesterday! But I actually have been going to the gym yesterday made one week, eating a little better. (Well), Eating less snack's anyways!!!! lol But just in one week I've already lost 8 lbs! Was really happy about it, and then today I added a Zumba class at the gym! and Man!!!! lol It really kicked my butt! But it was so fun! I joined my fitness pal to stay on track and keep track of everything, So far it's been . . . It's been good so far, even tho? . . Today only makes my second day! But hey, I would love to have some friends on here to help give and get motivational support! We can do this People, let's burn these calories off and keep them off together, who's with me?!!!!
  • ImALiar_AndAThief
    ImALiar_AndAThief Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - Just wanted to let y'all know that I was reading this thread and wanted to add my thoughts if that's ok. Using this app in 2014, I lost about 30 pounds over about 6 months. I stopped counting calories that December and maintained weight for about 8 months. Now, after the holidays, I've gained about 15 pounds back so I decided to start MFP back again. In all honesty, it's been a little challenging remaining consistent but it's getting better. Also, I plan on adding exercising along with the calorie counting since I didn't do that before. Stay with it and good luck to you all!
  • strongliz16
    strongliz16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Georgie and I am 18 years old. In November 2015 I had a full ACL knee reconstruction and have been trying to get fit again. I put on a lot of weight due to being unable to exercise or even walk at points. I have put on a lot of weight. I've never been slim, but I've really noticed recently, and I hate it. I really hope this community can help and offer me some support for something I find very difficult!

I had acl surgery November 19! I'm kinda in the same boat of gaining a little pudge