Work snacks

Options
I have a pretty active job. I walk about 5 miles per day with some heavy lifting. I need some ideas for healthy snacks that I can eat on my breaks that will kill hunger and give me a boost. I eat almonds occasionally but that gets old.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Most Kind bars are good and easy to grab and eat. If you have a refrigerator hard boiler eggs or cheese could work. I also keep some instant oatmeal(plain) in my desk for those times I want a hot snack.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a good protein bar or something like Ensure Active? Almonds are good, but high in fat and, yeah, munching nuts all day isn't fun. My husband just discovered soynuts, and likes them- uber high in protein (I'm allergic to soy, so I can't speak to that one.)
    Hummus and celery is good, but if you don't have an easy way to store it at your work, it can be a pain. (Make you're own hummus- most commercial brands are too high in fat and sodium.) Greek Yogurt is good, too, filling and full of protein.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by healthy?
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I used to work for a portrait studio where some days, I'd photograph for 4 hours straight (that includes setting up backdrops and props, posing families or children, photographing in all different angles and etc), so I'd get hungry pretty easily. My go-to snack was apples with peanut butter (though, now I'd do an apple with homemade almond butter). I also liked bringing in a fruit medley. I'd mix watermelon, strawberries, grapes, and mango and just eat as much as I could before I had my next customer. Both usually filled me up for a little while.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    fruit. apples, bananas, oranges, pears. raisins, almonds... tons of stuff.
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like: Carrots, Cucumber and hummas. Hard boiled eggs. Apples and yogurt. I try to eat more veggies at snack time, I find they take a while to eat. Cottage cheese with banana and cinnamon is another favorite :)
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Those are great ideas!!! I love hummus! I should make my own. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    apple slices and peanut butter, fruit, nuts, string cheese, jerky, pretzels...so many.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do a morning snack and an afternoon snack every day, pretty much. Mornings it's almost always some kind of protein type bar. Currently I am really liking Clif Bars, but there are tons out there (and Clif Bars are kind of high in calories, for a snack). For the afternoon snack, I mix it up a lot. I usually try to get some protein in, but not always. Here's some of the things I've done:
    -Brown Rice Triscuits (6 have 130 calories and 2 g protein, but sometimes I had 1-2 oz of cheese)
    -An orange or blackberries in season
    -1/4 c of refried beans mixed ahead of time with salsa and green onions, and 1 oz of tortilla chips (6 g protein, 200 calories)
    -Hardboiled egg
    -Oscar Mayer P3 protein packs for days when I'm feeling lazy
    -Beef jerky (I buy from Love's gas station chain brand, which is like what I got when I was a kid and 90 calories per 1 oz)
    -Half an avocado with .5-1 oz of pretzels

I like the protein bars, triscuits, and beef jerky for being shelf stable and not requiring any preparation, personally.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Vega bars, hard boiled eggs, kashi bars, bananas, apples, sandwich or wrap, quest bars,
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like a small piece of cheese and a few almonds, or piece of fruit or some veggies