Calorie intake to bulk and build

Options
Just looking for some suggestions for bulking up to get that fitness body (Greg Plitt for example), any suggestions or experience?

I have a quick metabolism, I'm 5'6, 28 years old, currently at 164 going for 175. Right now I'm at a 225 protein intake with an overall 3500 calories a day.

Thanks guys and hope to come across some good advice!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Overall - there's no need for 225 grams of protein a day. Not going to hurt you or anything, but if you're supplementing to get that high, if nothing else you're wasting money.

How long have you been at 3500 and what have your results been?

Are you doing a structured lifting program?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Steroids of you want to really look like a fitness model and yes I'm serious. If you work hard and get. 8g of protein per pound of body weight in a slight caloric surplus you could get to your weight goal in about 3 months but you would need to cut after since you put on fat as well.

Oh and are you lean right now? 164@5'6 seems to me like you are going to be higher on body fat than you would want to be unless you work liked hell and trained and ate well for a few years already. Since you asked a basic bulking question I'm assuming you are somewhat soft. Is this correct?
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Lift weights old school, keep those 3500 *primarily* calories clean, but have a half gallon of ice cream occasionally lol. Don't forget to get your rest, it's just as important as getting in your gym time.
  • Claps1775
    Claps1775 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I been eating a lot of pbnjs. I do 1 serving size in on pbnj and 2 for bread. 2 lives. Then 2 cups of milk. 600ish cals and 34 grams of protein .
  • tmntman4
    tmntman4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Overall - there's no need for 225 grams of protein a day. Not going to hurt you or anything, but if you're supplementing to get that high, if nothing else you're wasting money.

I would have to say about 60% of the protein is from foods (whole chicken breast 8oz, brown rice, quinoa, eggs, mixed nuts, chia seeds) and the other 40% would be from protein shakes (mass gainer and whey from muscle tech). Luckily many of the products I got were on sale during Black Friday so I got a lot of 2for1 deals. I shop at wholesale/bulk stores (costco), but I have budgeted expecting to be spending money for the end goal.

I have a personal trainer that gives me monthly workout routines, but I take it easy when it comes to advancing the weight. Reason for that is safety reasons, I don't want to get myself trapped benching or buckling while squatting. I have a sense that if I can do at least 8 reps slow and stable, I can move up. So far it's been about 3 weeks (which I am hopefully expecting results after about 6-8 weeks). Again it may be to soon for results which is why I'm just looking to get some general knowledge.

I suppose I can't say much on the 3500 intake, but I was under the impression with growth consuming my body weight X 1.2-1.5 should be the recommended intake; that's only for protein though. Eating healthy has been definitely different and makes me miss the junk food sometimes, haha.

Hopefully that answers your questions?

• tmntman4
    Options
    Steroids of you want to really look like a fitness model and yes I'm serious. If you work hard and get. 8g of protein per pound of body weight in a slight caloric surplus you could get to your weight goal in about 3 months but you would need to cut after since you put on fat as well.

Oh and are you lean right now? 164@5'6 seems to me like you are going to be higher on body fat than you would want to be unless you work liked hell and trained and ate well for a few years already. Since you asked a basic bulking question I'm assuming you are somewhat soft. Is this correct?

I'm not sure if the steroids route is something that I'm considering at all, that's just being honest. Last time I checked which was 2 days ago my Body fat percentage was around 13%. Not exactly sure what that means, but I've seen competition guys around 5% and I thought that was crazy cut.

I'm not really sure what exactly you mean by "somewhat soft", very vague statement that can be looked at different ways, if we are being honest. Please explain and I may be able to give you a better response.

• tmntman4
    Options
    Claps1775 wrote: »
    I been eating a lot of pbnjs. I do 1 serving size in on pbnj and 2 for bread. 2 lives. Then 2 cups of milk. 600ish cals and 34 grams of protein .

Nothing better than a good ol fashioned pbnj, haha. My fallback option if I'm cutting it close to not making calories for the day. Good to know though, thanks a lot man. I can enjoy them now without feeling so guilty
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    tmntman4 wrote: »

I would have to say about 60% of the protein is from foods (whole chicken breast 8oz, brown rice, quinoa, eggs, mixed nuts, chia seeds) and the other 40% would be from protein shakes (mass gainer and whey from muscle tech). Luckily many of the products I got were on sale during Black Friday so I got a lot of 2for1 deals. I shop at wholesale/bulk stores (costco), but I have budgeted expecting to be spending money for the end goal.

I have a personal trainer that gives me monthly workout routines, but I take it easy when it comes to advancing the weight. Reason for that is safety reasons, I don't want to get myself trapped benching or buckling while squatting. I have a sense that if I can do at least 8 reps slow and stable, I can move up. So far it's been about 3 weeks (which I am hopefully expecting results after about 6-8 weeks). Again it may be to soon for results which is why I'm just looking to get some general knowledge.

I suppose I can't say much on the 3500 intake, but I was under the impression with growth consuming my body weight X 1.2-1.5 should be the recommended intake; that's only for protein though. Eating healthy has been definitely different and makes me miss the junk food sometimes, haha.

If you don't have a training partner, ask for a spot. Don't just do what feels comfortable. Learn to fail on squats... If you have a squat rack or cage with rails you aren't going to get stuck.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'd say too much protein, a maximum to aim for is 1g /lb

For a 3500 daily amount your macros would look like this.

Protein 150g
    Fat 60g
    Carbs 590g

Gives a total

600 cals protein
    540 cals fats
    2360 cals carbs

Total 3500 calories

You'd adjust your carbs up or down to regulate your overall calories.

That seems like a lot of carbs, what is your bodyfat like? Are you lean?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP says body fat is 15%? Height at 5'6" at current weight 164 I predict that he has a bit more of a higher body fat percentage hence the wording above "somewhat" soft.

I ran his stats and the 3500 calories seems really high unless his activity level is higher and I used the wrong one. But it looks like a surplus could be 600 - 700 calories. I also see he needs about 150 - 160 grams of protein and if you take what @pbryd said the carb calories are really high IMHO..

I see he needs to do progressive overloading and use a partner or spotter at the bench and use a spotter or partner at the squatting apparatus to reach his goals instead of taking it too easy (unless there is prone to injury to mentioned really here).

I am I off on this one?
  • tmntman4
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    OP says body fat is 15%? Height at 5'6" at current weight 164 I predict that he has a bit more of a higher body fat percentage hence the wording above "somewhat" soft.

I ran his stats and the 3500 calories seems really high unless his activity level is higher and I used the wrong one. But it looks like a surplus could be 600 - 700 calories. I also see he needs about 150 - 160 grams of protein and if you take what @pbryd said the carb calories are really high IMHO..

I see he needs to do progressive overloading and use a partner or spotter at the bench and use a spotter or partner at the squatting apparatus to reach his goals instead of taking it too easy (unless there is prone to injury to mentioned really here).

I am I off on this one?

No, I def agree with needing a partner or a spotter in the gym. They do have rails I could use for squats, and because it's a small gym (anytime fitness) I will have to do the same for bench (both are on the same rack). Looks like I'll have to utilize them from now on more than I do now.

I am usually constantly moving, I own a lawn and landscaping business so I'm moving at all parts of the day (unless I'm eating). Even in the winter months it's shoveling snow for excersize/work. High metabolism I would say also still plays a part though; blessing and curse if you ask me..

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

I'm not sure if the steroids route is something that I'm considering at all, that's just being honest. Last time I checked which was 2 days ago my Body fat percentage was around 13%. Not exactly sure what that means, but I've seen competition guys around 5% and I thought that was crazy cut.

I'm not really sure what exactly you mean by "somewhat soft", very vague statement that can be looked at different ways, if we are being honest. Please explain and I may be able to give you a better response.

If you are that 5'6, 164 and 13% BF you are already going to be approaching the most you can be without steroids. Fitness models are on low levels of steroids in order to gain the extra muscle without extra BF%. 13% isn't soft (as in carying extra fat that hids or softens the appearance of abs and other muscles) in any respect but I'd be curious what method you are using to assertain your level. Can you see the top four abs clearly with the last two starting to emerge? Oh, and yes 5% is crazy cut and unsustainable; even body builders are only there for a week or two before head north quickly back to around 10% or so.

As for limits, for competative natural body builders in contest shape it's "Height in cm - 100" for 5% BF ( you can find it here http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/ ). Note this is for competative natural body builders who represent the best genetics. For you, that's roughly 160 pounds at 13% BF plus 5-10lbs for adjustment for hydration etc. So, it's unlikely you are actualy 13% or you have been on point with your diet and training and have amazing genetics. My guess is that you are probably carring more than you think in body fat. In either case you are going to top out pretty soon or at least find it very difficult to gain. Sorry, that's just the nature of the best i.e. humans.

In the end, to answer your question you are hitting a very hard area in your quest to gain because you will top out around 165lbs or so at 10% BF, as a pure natty, and that's if everything is on point. As a humours side note, I was on Bodybuilding.com and looking at their targets and at 8% BF, which I was when filling it out, I had to actually gain weight to be "skinny ripped"! Seriously? I didn't even count for skinny? I would have to be over 175lbs to be "fitness model", which is impossible without steroids. Guess that's how standards get skewed in in the drug age. I
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I am I off on this one?

No, I def agree with needing a partner or a spotter in the gym. They do have rails I could use for squats, and because it's a small gym (anytime fitness) I will have to do the same for bench (both are on the same rack). Looks like I'll have to utilize them from now on more than I do now.

I am usually constantly moving, I own a lawn and landscaping business so I'm moving at all parts of the day (unless I'm eating). Even in the winter months it's shoveling snow for excersize/work. High metabolism I would say also still plays a part though; blessing and curse if you ask me..

At your age I thought it a curse but 20 years later and it's a blessing. Enjoy what you have! :)
  • ashleyrc6
    ashleyrc6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is trying to bulk up right now too and insisted on eating super high protein as well. The way I broke it down to him is that your body doesn't use the protein as fuel, therefore consuming more carbs and fat will help him use that food as fuel and therefore increase in muscle size. For myself, I have also found that paying particular attention to pre and post workout nutrient quantities has helped me make good gains and aid in recovery.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ashleyrc6 wrote: »
    My boyfriend is trying to bulk up right now too and insisted on eating super high protein as well. The way I broke it down to him is that your body doesn't use the protein as fuel, therefore consuming more carbs and fat will help him use that food as fuel and therefore increase in muscle size. For myself, I have also found that paying particular attention to pre and post workout nutrient quantities has helped me make good gains and aid in recovery.

Your body can only use, at a maximum, .81g of protein per pound of body weight, and most people will be more like .7g/lb even when they lift a lot. A small amount of excess protein can be stored but the rest will be converted to glucose for energy. There is no reason to eat super high protein unless you really like high protein foods, however, if you need to get most of your protein from suppliments you aren't doing it right. Also, meal timings don't have any real effect either.

That being said, do what works for you but realize that you don't need to go that extreme with protein, general diet or timings to get maximum results.
  • jakejd25
    jakejd25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

• jakejd25
    jakejd25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Caution the mass gainers... They do work, but I was surprised to see my cholesterol had spiked badly after a year of consistent use. It can still be done, but the rest of the diet should be very low cholesterol. Thought my doc would be impressed with my health, instead I had to make a change or go on meds.