5:2 diet- curious if anyone has tried this??

Options
13»

Replies

• lotte0989
    lotte0989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    eviegreen wrote: »
    I don't know your stats (height, weight, age, etc), but your weekly caloric average is rather concerning. If you're eating, at the maximum, 800 calories 5 days a week (which you admit to eating under majority of the time), and at 1600 calories 2 days a week, then you are only averaging around 1000 calories a day. That's under the amount MFP is recommending for you, which is already the bare minimum for maintaining normal body function. If your BMR is indeed 1650 (BMR being the calories you burn by simply existing and doing nothing), you really ought to eat more. Fasting is meant to create a deficit, but high calorie days are supposed to keep your calories up to a healthy weekly loss. Lilawolf's weekly average is within a healthy rate of loss. Your deficit, in contrast, is very extreme.

I have modified it slightly.
    800 Mon-Thursday.
    1200 Friday.
    1600 Saturday-Sunday.
    Averages 1,085 per day which is within the MFP recommended daily intake of 1000-1200.

Because of a few ongoing health issues, I cannot do the amount of exercise that I used to do, else I would up it to reflect that increase in calories burned.

I am making sensible food choices, so I am actually eating a decent amount on the 800 calorie days - food that is low calorie but rich in nutrients. :)

So far, two weeks in, I have lost 9lbs and am feeling much better in myself. My skin is starting to clear up and I am sleeping better...
    Over time, it might change again, but for now I am feeling happy with what I am doing. :)
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    lotte0989 wrote: »
    I don't know your stats (height, weight, age, etc), but your weekly caloric average is rather concerning. If you're eating, at the maximum, 800 calories 5 days a week (which you admit to eating under majority of the time), and at 1600 calories 2 days a week, then you are only averaging around 1000 calories a day. That's under the amount MFP is recommending for you, which is already the bare minimum for maintaining normal body function. If your BMR is indeed 1650 (BMR being the calories you burn by simply existing and doing nothing), you really ought to eat more. Fasting is meant to create a deficit, but high calorie days are supposed to keep your calories up to a healthy weekly loss. Lilawolf's weekly average is within a healthy rate of loss. Your deficit, in contrast, is very extreme.

800 Mon-Thursday.
    1200 Friday.
    1600 Saturday-Sunday.
    Averages 1,085 per day which is within the MFP recommended daily intake of 1000-1200.

Because of a few ongoing health issues, I cannot do the amount of exercise that I used to do, else I would up it to reflect that increase in calories burned.

I am making sensible food choices, so I am actually eating a decent amount on the 800 calorie days - food that is low calorie but rich in nutrients. :)

So far, two weeks in, I have lost 9lbs and am feeling much better in myself. My skin is starting to clear up and I am sleeping better...
    Over time, it might change again, but for now I am feeling happy with what I am doing. :)

MFP recommends OVER 1200 for a reason, because less than that deprives your body of vital nutrients. The quality of food is irrelevant if you aren't eating enough of it. 9lbs in two weeks is mostly water weight. IF is a sustainable eating schedule for those who do it correctly. The way you're using it is unsustainable. But if you don't care about healthy weight loss, fine. Your choice.
  • lotte0989
    lotte0989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    lotte0989 wrote: »

800 Mon-Thursday.
    1200 Friday.
    1600 Saturday-Sunday.

MFP recommends OVER 1200 for a reason, because less than that deprives your body of vital nutrients. The quality of food is irrelevant if you aren't eating enough of it. 9lbs in two weeks is mostly water weight. IF is a sustainable eating schedule for those who do it correctly. The way you're using it is unsustainable. But if you don't care about healthy weight loss, fine. Your choice.

The app states 1000-1200 for women, actually.
    Plus, I have spoken to my doctor in the past who actually recommended a 800 calorie a day diet without the days having extra calories to up the overall weekly total.
    I am aware that the start of any diet brings a loss in water weight. I have always drank a lot of water - having at least 2 litres a day - and that hasn't changed.

I have not suggested that what I am doing is right for everyone, but it is working for me and I am feeling a lot healthier, with certain medical conditions I have already improving.
    I do not think there is any need to be quite as rude as you are being.
    Criticising me repeatedly doesn't do anything other than make you look like a bully.
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Jetamu96 wrote: »
    I tried it and know others that have as well. It was ok but I found myself dreading the fasting days and during them I would be lethargic, have headaches and not be able to concentrate, not good for a medical student!

well I did intermittent fasting ! and fasting helped me to sleep only 4 hours a day with great energy through out and I passed Med school ;)
  • louise3uk
    louise3uk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

MFP recommends OVER 1200 for a reason, because less than that deprives your body of vital nutrients. The quality of food is irrelevant if you aren't eating enough of it. 9lbs in two weeks is mostly water weight. IF is a sustainable eating schedule for those who do it correctly. The way you're using it is unsustainable. But if you don't care about healthy weight loss, fine. Your choice. [/quote]

Bit harsh, and not at all supportive. I agree it may not be many people recommendations but there are nicer ways to explain things.

Well done on your 9lb lotte. A loss is a loss and something to be congratulated for.