Cooking with vegetables

runilious
runilious Posts: 45 Member
Wondering if anyone out there can give me some tips and recipes.
I love salads and recently got a book on making more interesting salads which worked out great...now i want to do more with Vegetables instead of my usual cut them up and throw them in a pan.

Can anyone give me a link or tell me the best ways to cook certain vegetables for example is it best to eat carrot raw...boiled or fried or steamed? Does anyone have any recipes for me to try which doesn't have any meat to see if i can enjoy a meal like that.

I recently tried stir fried cabbage with onion, mushrooms and garlic and really enjoyed it.

Any help would be appreciated thank you :-)

Replies

• asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Try skinnytaste.com
  • runilious
    Thanks will check it out now :-)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, beans.....whatever you LIKE) then oyster sauce. Cook vege in pan, then add sauce, place lid on pan for about 10 mins on lower heat. Serve. Yummy.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Roast them!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Pan frying in PAM can be a good, easy way to stir fry vegetables, and makes it easy to add protein to the mix. The Hungry Girl blog also has a lot of good, easy recipes.
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Two great cookbooks, I use them daily. Both explain how to clean and prepare each type of veg, the seasonings that go well with them, and then give a variety of recipes. Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, by Mark Bittman.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    I eat a ton of roasted or baked veg.

A tiny bit of olive oil and into our mini convection oven they go on a pan. When done, sprinkle with a bit of salt--yum. Or sprinkle with seasoning salt or some Indian spices.

My faves are parsnips, they just seem so hearty and filling.
    Next on my list would be carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, Crimini mushrooms, turnips.

I could go on but I'll stop.
  • runilious
    Thanks all thats great :-) I will check out those cookbooks
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    I love salads and recently got a book on making more interesting salads which worked out great...now i want to do more with Vegetables instead of my usual cut them up and throw them in a pan.

Can anyone give me a link or tell me the best ways to cook certain vegetables for example is it best to eat carrot raw...boiled or fried or steamed? Does anyone have any recipes for me to try which doesn't have any meat to see if i can enjoy a meal like that.

I recently tried stir fried cabbage with onion, mushrooms and garlic and really enjoyed it.

Oh yea, I eat panned fried cabbage just about every day ~ I love it, very filling, and for me is an adequate replacement for the starches I try to avoid :).

Tonight I made this for the first time, it was tastey ~ wanting to use my fresh dill ~

Shaved carrot salad with fresh blueberries and dill

◾1 bunch carrots
    ◾2 tsp horseradish
    ◾Fresh dill
    ◾4 tsp cider vinegar
    ◾1 clove of garlic
    ◾3 Tbsp olive oil
    ◾1/4 pint of blueberries

http://www.cooklocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/smCIMG5557-300x300.jpg

With a vegetable peeler, shave the carrots into long strips. Place the strips in a bowl.

In a food processor or blender, mix the horseradish, a couple pinches of the dill, the garlic and the olive oil. Mix well until the garlic is finely diced and the dressing is a little creamy.

Toss the carrots with the dressing and add the rest of the dill and the blueberries as garnish.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Pinterest.com and check out outdoor. So many foil over flame ideas. YUM! :smile:
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Cut raw Brussels sprouts in half, toss in olive oil or coconut oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until crispy.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Allrecipes.com

Also, saute them and put them in an omelette.

Roasted veggies are delicious.

Boiling tends to lose more nutrients.

Put them in pasta.

Lots of things you can do with them
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Cut raw Brussels sprouts in half, toss in olive oil or coconut oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until crispy.

One of my faves!
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member

Oh yea, I eat panned fried cabbage just about every day ~ I love it, very filling, and for me is an adequate replacement for the starches I try to avoid :).

Tonight I made this for the first time, it was tastey ~ wanting to use my fresh dill ~

Shaved carrot salad with fresh blueberries and dill

◾1 bunch carrots
    ◾2 tsp horseradish
    ◾Fresh dill
    ◾4 tsp cider vinegar
    ◾1 clove of garlic
    ◾3 Tbsp olive oil
    ◾1/4 pint of blueberries

http://www.cooklocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/smCIMG5557-300x300.jpg

With a vegetable peeler, shave the carrots into long strips. Place the strips in a bowl.

In a food processor or blender, mix the horseradish, a couple pinches of the dill, the garlic and the olive oil. Mix well until the garlic is finely diced and the dressing is a little creamy.

Toss the carrots with the dressing and add the rest of the dill and the blueberries as garnish.

Yum!!! This looks delicious!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    I love a nice veggie curry - there are a ton of recipes floating in cyber space. I like mine really spicy but there are milder ones out there :D
  • tennisfan77
    tennisfan77 Posts: 10 Member
    The Moosewood recipe books are a great resource for vegetarian cooking. My favorite is called Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special. The recipes are soups and salads. The book also tells you which salads go well with each soup. All of the recipes are simple to make, and taste really good.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    I find that there are very few entree recipes out there that can't be improved healthwise just by adding an extra vegetable to it. (Bear in mind, when I cook I eat a lot of "one pot" dishes or single servings of whatever roasted in a foil packet). Lentil soup -- or most soups, really -- add some spinach just before it's done! Ginger soy chicken: why not add some snow pea pods and a red bell pepper to the pot? Chicken with tomato sauce: perfect excuse to add some broccoli. Any kind of meat with BBQ sauce: why not heat that up over a bed of green beans and salsa (salsa counts as a vegetable if you eat enough of it, right?).
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member

One of my faves!

Mine too! sooo good :)
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Black Bean & Corn Salad

2 cans black beans drained & rinsed
    2 cups frozen corn kernels
    1/2 purple onion chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
    1/2 cup cilantro chopped
    6 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
    6 tsp lime juice
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    salt & pepper to taste.

Mix well in a bowl refrigerate & serve cold. 6 servings
    per serving (1 cup) 225 calories 40 carbs 5 fat 10 fiber 9 protein
  • This is a recipe my friend sent to me over skype! I'd retype it prettier, but ... well, lazy. :tongue:
    [6/27/2013 6:06:28 PM] Amy: omg i love me
    these are the best things ive made in a long time
    okay

I took one of the sandwich thins, and seared both sides of both halves in some nonstick spray, and while they were still hot i rubbed them with a garlic clove and then a little bit of margarine.

Then i threw in a teaspoon of olive oil and some super finely sliced yellow onion and sweat them for a bit before adding some finely chopped garlic, parsley, and some red pepper flakes

after about a minute i just dumped in like a cup of frozen spinach, and sauteed that for a few minutes. Then, I separated it into 2 piles in the pan and topped each with some (tblspn each) skim ricotta and mozzarella and put a lid over it and let it sit for 4-5 minutes. Then I just scooped each pile onto each half of the bread and oh man

I put the recipe in and it's approximately
    Calories: 297
    Carbs: 33 g
    Fat:14 g
    Protein: 13 g