Creatine for women?

Options
dashley28
dashley28 Posts: 32 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've never had this supplement before and wondering if it's a good idea to add to my stack? I'm 29, 5'4 and 128 lbs. I want to lose some weight that I've gained but I mostly want to build muscle, without bloating out.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Creatine helps fill muscle with ATP (adenotriphosphate) which is helpful with weight lifting. 5g a day is all it takes, but expect your weight to go UP when you start as you'll add between five and ten pounds of water weight.
  • dashley28
    Options
    Thank you, that's helpful. And if I stop taking it how long does it take for the water weight to go down?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the creatine, I personally don't use it. But at 5'4" and 128-wanting to build muscle and lose weight...I think you need to pick one or the other. You're not going to build much muscle in a deficit. I'm 5'4" and 128 on the left side of my profile pic. That's when I decided to gain muscle...I'm not in a surplus to do so. Do you know your body fat %
  • dashley28
    Options
    That makes sense. You look great by the way! Im assuming I will naturally lean out a bit even with mainly focusing on weight training and of course a clan diet. I used an online BFP calculator, using my measurements and it said my body fat percentage is 24.69%. I have a trip to Hawaii coming in 7 weeks and Im just wondering if I really focus on just building strength, will I be left with the bit of fat I didn't burn with cardio? I don't really know how just strength training effects me, I've never trained solely for muscle before. Thanks for all the help and advice! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dashley28 wrote: »
    That makes sense. You look great by the way! Im assuming I will naturally lean out a bit even with mainly focusing on weight training and of course a clan diet. I used an online BFP calculator, using my measurements and it said my body fat percentage is 24.69%. I have a trip to Hawaii coming in 7 weeks and Im just wondering if I really focus on just building strength, will I be left with the bit of fat I didn't burn with cardio? I don't really know how just strength training effects me, I've never trained solely for muscle before. Thanks for all the help and advice! :)

The goal isn't to burn fat with cardio. Cardio is for heart health, a calorie deficit is for fat loss, and lifting in a deficit saves muscle (as you lose muscle in a deficit along with fat), which will help your body composition/body fat%. So, if you have some fat to lose-lift heavy, with a 250 calorie per day deficit.
  • dashley28
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for the knowledge, I needed that. I'm lifting heavy right now and in a calorie deficit so basically I'm on the right track then. Again, thanks so much for the help!
  • marinab100
    marinab100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you cut all your carbs and sugar and are disciplined, you will lose all extra fat in about 2.5 weeks, go to a 21% or less BFP, add muscle definition and mass. I lost 7 pounds in about 2-3 weeks, and then started building muscle and strength, so gained back 4 lbs in muscles, yet lost 1.5 inches on waist, 1 in on hips, .5 in on thighs. Set your goal on MFT to be about 10% carbs, 30% fat, 60% protein, but you will need to supplement with at least 2 shakes a day (I use IsoNatural by Allmax). Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    marinab100 wrote: »
    If you cut all your carbs and sugar and are disciplined, you will lose all extra fat in about 2.5 weeks, go to a 21% or less BFP, add muscle definition and mass. I lost 7 pounds in about 2-3 weeks, and then started building muscle and strength, so gained back 4 lbs in muscles, yet lost 1.5 inches on waist, 1 in on hips, .5 in on thighs. Set your goal on MFT to be about 10% carbs, 30% fat, 60% protein, but you will need to supplement with at least 2 shakes a day (I use IsoNatural by Allmax). Good luck.
    And what happens when one returns to eating 30% carbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• adub119
    adub119 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    marinab100 wrote: »

Terrible advice