Need to ditch my sugar addiction.

Options
New to this app. Currently working on a couple of weight loss...scratch that....lifestyle change challenges with work and personal groups. Never really had a weight problem until about 2 1/2 years ago. Need to get this weight off and keep it off, so please let me know if you have any suggestions to help curb the sugar addiction I have now.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My solution was to treat it like a real addiction and cut it out of my life entirely. I also limit starches and non-vegetables carbs to reduce cravings. The first week or two was tough but now I can take or leave sweets.

Others do better with just cutting back on the treats but allowing them as they wish.

Good luck.
  • BboyDfresh
    BboyDfresh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, try using stevia instead of table sugar. Slowly eliminate it and soon you'll be off it
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I want sugar I make a smoothie, mostly vegetables (spinach, carrots, tomatoes) and some fruit, helps me out, and since its natural it helps with vitamins and fills you up
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Realize it's not an addiction first. It's hyper palatable so it's easy to turn to, which is why people have a hard time not consuming it. However like anything else, changing habitual behavior takes some time and discipline.
    Weight gain/loss/maintenance is basically about CICO, so limit your treats, but still make sure to account for them. I personally don't urge clients to "quit" them because restrictive diet approaches have always had a very low success rate from my experience, due to people feeling unhappy that they can't still enjoy a treat occasionally. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • maryannehoran
    maryannehoran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look at YouTube and search "the truth behind sugar and high fructose corn syrup" and educate yourself on insulin and your pancreas and how much work it does. Instead of being told what to do, educate yourself. Learning anatomy, I gained respect for the endocrine system and encourages me to care for my body. We were born into this society where sugar is overloaded. Once you change YOUR MIND on sugar, you're not going to want to do that harm, that is if you're serious about it. And MFP helps you see how much sugar and carbs you eat. Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Look at YouTube and search "the truth behind sugar and high fructose corn syrup" and educate yourself on insulin and your pancreas and how much work it does. Instead of being told what to do, educate yourself. Learning anatomy, I gained respect for the endocrine system and encourages me to care for my body. We were born into this society where sugar is overloaded. Once you change YOUR MIND on sugar, you're not going to want to do that harm, that is if you're serious about it. And MFP helps you see how much sugar and carbs you eat. Good luck
    Actually one would be better off consulting peer reviewed clinical studies, than anecdotes on youtube. A lot of info on youtube isn't evidence supported. CORRELATIONS, yes, but that's not the same as CAUSE. There are lots of countries that don't have obesity issues and consume more sugar than the US. Yes there are a lot of foods that contain sugar, however any sugar (dextrose, sucrose, maltose, lactose, etc.) is basically broken down the same way by the digestive system.
    Don't need to be afraid of sugar, especially since glucose is what helps make glycogen and without glycogen, exercise and energy for it wouldn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png