Ways to increase caloric intake?

2»

Replies

• homecraftedmom
    homecraftedmom Posts: 13 Member
    Both muscle & weight loss
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    you build muscle in a caloric surplus or you do a recomp which is eating @ or a little above maintenance(which takes awhile). you lose fat and weight in a deficit. its really hard to build much of any muscle in a deficit, you can get some newbie gains, or if you had muscle and are returning to lifting but that will taper off and slow down. but if 1900 calories is you deficit then you will lose weight. its hard to build muscle and lose weight at the same time.sure if you build muscle in a surplus eventually you can lose a little fat/weight but it wont be much and it will be really slow for most people. you can retain the muscle if you lift in a deficit. and since you are female it can take a decent amount of time to build muscle compared to a male as we dont have the testosterone males do. you can still lift weights, but you have to choose if you want to lose weight or build muscle. also when you gain muscle you will gain fat too. so honestly you need to pick which one you want to do. most here recommend lifting and being in a deficit to lose weight until you get close to your goal weight or a certain percentage of body fat,then doing whats called a bulk. so if you set MFP to lose weight then you are in a deficit.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Can people please just stop pushing Low Carb High Fat for once?
    Ok, let me clear up some confusion.....I WAS prediabetic, per my doctor, ONLY because of my A1C numbers. I have a strong chance of becoming diabetic because of my family history. I am gluten intolerant, dairy intolerant, and I avoid sugar because it caused cravings that I dont like. My diet thus far has been okay. My trainer just wants me adding a few more carbs to my diet, trying to avoid any extra fats. I redid my settings and it is telling me 2400 calories. I am active, and I workout 60 min a day. Since I dont eat gluten and Im trying not to eat dried fruit, etc, what others use for carbs? I am thinking sweet potatoes, pumpkin, reg potatoes, starchy vegies like corn and peas. Maybe I just need to practice becoming a better cook. My trainer and I are just trying something different to see if it helps my metabolism.

It sounds like you know what you need to do.

I'd let my doctor see your MFP logs after your change to lightly active and ask if he thinks you need to get your metabolism tested. Bear in mind that the vast majority of people think it's their metabolism when they're just not logging their calories accurately. Still, it could be your thyroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

What sort of workout do you do?

Best wishes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    @Orphia no one is pushing low carb high fat,I dont know where anyone stated anything of the sort.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Here's a question I haven't seen answered-are you losing weight the way you would expect with your calorie intake? Is your trainer telling you to eat more because you are not losing weight? If so-that is false.

Are you weighing all food consumed so you know exactly how many calories you are eating?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Here's a question I haven't seen answered-are you losing weight the way you would expect with your calorie intake? Is your trainer telling you to eat more because you are not losing weight? If so-that is false.

Are you weighing all food consumed so you know exactly how many calories you are eating?

thanks for asking that. I forgot about all that :smiley:
  • homecraftedmom
    homecraftedmom Posts: 13 Member
    I am losing consistently. He suggested this because of what MFP said was my caloric intake. He said it was something to "WORK TOWARDS"...not something I would do tomorrow. I think it is more of a balance thing. I have too much fat for the amoutn of carbs I am eating. He is not suggesting LOW fat, nor is he suggesting HIGH carb. In fact, he is just wanting me to be aware that REAL food is more important, my body knows what it is and how to use it, rather than the "fake" stuff.

I DO know what to do. I have done it before. This is contradictory to everything the media or other people believe.