New Vegetarian...tired!

Options
2»

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    B12 deficiencies take years to develop. Your body's stores of it will take years to deplete, that's not the issue, I guarantee. Especially if you still eat some animal product
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Negative_X wrote: »

Nutritional yeast is a great source of B12. (can get it at any health food store) I'm no longer doing the vegan thing myself, but still use it on my veggies, since it tastes delicious and has a decent amount of protein & B12 in it. (has a cheesy flavor)

Be aware that nutritional yeast does not contain B-12. B-12 is added to nutritional yeast and if the label does not say that it's fortified, then it is not and you will still need to supplement or find other sources.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    B12 deficiencies take years to develop. Your body's stores of it will take years to deplete, that's not the issue, I guarantee. Especially if you still eat some animal product

Your body *can* hold years worth of B12, but people who are changing their diet to reduce or exclude animal products have no idea if they are one of the people who has years worth in the body. Remember, even non-vegans and vegetarians can develop deficiencies.
  • talialinn
    talialinn Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Your body *can* hold years worth of B12, but people who are changing their diet to reduce or exclude animal products have no idea if they are one of the people who has years worth in the body. Remember, even non-vegans and vegetarians can develop deficiencies.

I just would like to inform you guys for your benefit, that B12 is a water soluble vitamin and does not store in your body. Your body uses it as soon as it gets it and any that it cannot use immediately gets flushed out of the body through the urine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    talialinn wrote: »

I just would like to inform you guys for your benefit, that B12 is a water soluble vitamin and does not store in your body. Your body uses it as soon as it gets it and any that it cannot use immediately gets flushed out of the body through the urine.

This isn't quite true. While B12 is water soluble and your body does excrete excess B12, it is also stored in the liver. This is why deficiencies can sometimes take a while to emerge, although the store in your liver should never be counted on (because we have no real way of knowing how much we have stored).

http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12
  • talialinn
    talialinn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    talialinn wrote: »

This isn't quite true. While B12 is water soluble and your body does excrete excess B12, it is also stored in the liver. This is why deficiencies can sometimes take a while to emerge, although the store in your liver should never be counted on (because we have no real way of knowing how much we have stored).

http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Nice! Thanks :)