Verdict on homemade smoothies?

2»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Maaike84 wrote: »
    Smoothies are neither good nor bad, if they work within your general calorie intake. It's true that fruit contains a lot of sugar, but because with a smoothie you are blending (not juicing), at least you also get the fibre from the fruit, making you feel full for longer. And fruit does contain a lot of nutrients, so in that sense you could consider it a "better" choice than getting sugar from products that do not contain the same amount of sugar. That said, your body processes sugar the same, so you may want to watch it if there is a reason to watch your overall sugar intake and as a part of the total amount of carbs you are getting (versus the other important macronutrients, protein and fat). TL:DR; if you like having smoothies and they make you feel good, and if it fits your daily calorie intake, go ahead!

Agreed. It's all about what you put into it.

I do a scoop of protein powder, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 5 oz greek yogurt and almond milk. It's my go to smoothies and I always feel so refreshed after drinking it.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    If you like them and they help you meet your goals, then they are good. But they possess no magical weight loss properties of their own.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    For me they aren't worth it. I found a very nice smoothie recipe the other day, and doubled up on the amount to make sure I don't get hungry, added protein powder to be double sure, nop. Still left me hungry an hour later. 400 calories wasted. I wish I spent them on a homemade caramel banana split. Would have been way more filling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Personally I have never understood the purpose of a smoothie over just eating the food. All you are doing is using a blender to chew the food for you. It is great for people in their twilight years that are no longer able to chew food for themselves. :)

Other than that, if it fits in your calorie goals, and you don't mind the extra work to make a smoothie and then clean up after, go for it.

The Idea of the smoothie is that I think most people would never eat 2 cups of kale, 2 whole carrots, 1 bananna, and 1/2 cup of mango. In a whole day. (I know I wouldn't) plus cooking the kale or carrots takes out a LOT of nutrients. I personally get way more nutrients in 1 smooothie than I ever did in cooked meals.

I know a lot of people just plain don't like the leafy green veg. add some fruit flavors to it though and suddenly it is much more appetizing

I think the reason a lot of us are overweight to begin with is because we focus our eating more on the Main course,( the meats and carbs) than on the veggies.

OK I would never eat kale...what with it being disgusting and cattle fodder that has been imbued with a lot of nonsensical properties over and above other green leafy veg

That said ...that is not a whole lot of veg ...I eat over a kilo of vegetables daily ..with chewing ...

I think it's normal to eat a lot more than you've specified

Kale is yummy. Nothing wrong with kale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Yeah and that's how discussion boards work

Good isn't it?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    I only drink smoothies that I make, with whole ingredients. I do not purchase smoothies in a bottle nor purchase them from the local "smoothie stand".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I only drink smoothies that I make, with whole ingredients. I do not purchase smoothies in a bottle nor purchase them from the local "smoothie stand".

Congratulations?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I was going to buy a Ninja blender last month but discovered my Cuisinart food processor worked fine for the type of smoothies I make.

Banana and date smoothies like this? http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-banana-date-cardamom-smoothie-recipes-from-the-kitchn-207636

Sounds yummy, and REALLY high in sugar. I may try that...with protein powder and fat to balance the carbs.

If I had a food processor to begin with, I think I could work with that, too! I actually used a handheld one a couple times for making smoothies, that also worked, somewhat...

And yeah, I could go with that recipe, too. Something like that is what I wanna have! The sugar count might come up high, but I don't take in too many added sugars on a daily basis, and I often eat close to half of my calories in fresh fruit anyway... Adding stuff to balance it all sounds great, too.

The good thing with smoothies, I think, is that they are kinda like a dessert or a treat. I'm really into ice cream and milkshakes, so in my mind smoothies go right in that group. That delicious food group...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Pretty sure OP is talking about a homemade smoothie.
  • dolliesdaughter
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Pretty sure OP is talking about a homemade smoothie.
    k
  • dolliesdaughter
    edited January 2016

Congratulations?
    Thank You, I guess. Problem????