The no diet diet? Is this for real?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't need to diet to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. Proven time and time again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

AKA a diet.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You don't need to diet to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn. Proven time and time again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.

I think he is trying to say you don't need to cut out the "bad" food, you can eat a Big Mac everyday and still lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,676 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.
    Literally everything we consume is a "diet". When people state they need to "diet" to lose weight, it's usually assumed they need to uptake a "certain type" of diet to lose. And as I've mentioned, one doesn't need "to diet" to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cleanslateplate
    cleanslateplate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exactly, Kim! We lose weight when we eat less and move more, if possible. This is a way to eat less, while not prohibiting certain foods. It requires no diet plan and no extra money.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    JRC34235 wrote: »
    Good day all. So I have a bad habit of watching Reality TV and came across "My Diet is Better Than Yours". The person clearly out in front is the oldest competitor. He is on the "No Diet Diet". He has lost 21 pounds in 2 weeks. Now before I get bashed on how unhealthy it is to lose the weight that fast or how things are staged for reality TV, the guy actually looks slimmer and healthier. He is eating a ton of healthy fats, butter in his coffee and burgers on a regular basis, [note, I did say healthy fats so please don't lecture me on what is healthy] I was just wondering if anyone has actually heard of this diet and are there any actual medical reports on how safe it is?

I watched a couple episodes of this too. I think the guy putting butter in his coffee is on the "Wild" diet, the bald guy is on the "no diet" diet. The "Wild" diet looks a lot like Paleo, which works for some people (I've never tried it, CICO works best for me).

I kind of like this show, it's a little silly and unrealistic. Some of the diets are definitely fads. I like watching weight loss shows because I think it's really interesting to see how different people carry their weight and how they look when they lose it.

Yes, the older guy is doing the Wild Diet.. I agree with @Bowsergirl it looks like a low carb/Paleo diet to me as well. The No Diet guy is a lunatic and weird. Changing the color of your sheets will help you lose weight??? NO it wont. The Mommy/Taskersize lady is so annoying, and that crazy oil massage lady was bound to get kicked off.

I like watching shows like this one or biggest loser because you get to see these people actually struggle, weight loss sometimes is hard for some people. These shows also show me things I dont want to do to try to lose weight. I dont want to lose weight fast, because I know I can put it back on even faster. I dont want a quick fix. I want a sustainable lifestyle.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    JRC34235 wrote: »
    Good day all. So I have a bad habit of watching Reality TV and came across "My Diet is Better Than Yours". The person clearly out in front is the oldest competitor. He is on the "No Diet Diet". He has lost 21 pounds in 2 weeks. Now before I get bashed on how unhealthy it is to lose the weight that fast or how things are staged for reality TV, the guy actually looks slimmer and healthier. He is eating a ton of healthy fats, butter in his coffee and burgers on a regular basis, [note, I did say healthy fats so please don't lecture me on what is healthy] I was just wondering if anyone has actually heard of this diet and are there any actual medical reports on how safe it is?

I watched a couple episodes of this too. I think the guy putting butter in his coffee is on the "Wild" diet, the bald guy is on the "no diet" diet. The "Wild" diet looks a lot like Paleo, which works for some people (I've never tried it, CICO works best for me).

I kind of like this show, it's a little silly and unrealistic. Some of the diets are definitely fads. I like watching weight loss shows because I think it's really interesting to see how different people carry their weight and how they look when they lose it.

The "No Diet Diet" seems to be about changing habits, seems logical. I have not read any of the diet books that they picked, but I do find interesting. The Clean Momma one was odd with her "taskercising" I am sure with it being reality TV, they don't show everything, but they made it look like that was all she did...no organized exercise. The contestants have to run a half marathon at the end, I would think there would need to be more training that squatting while you pick out fruit at the grocery store.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Exactly, Kim! We lose weight when we eat less and move more, if possible. This is a way to eat less, while not prohibiting certain foods. It requires no diet plan and no extra money.

Kind of like MFP.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.
    Literally everything we consume is a "diet". When people state they need to "diet" to lose weight, it's usually assumed they need to uptake a "certain type" of diet to lose. And as I've mentioned, one doesn't need "to diet" to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some folks do. For many years folks just ate less when they "went on diet".

Using MFP to lose weight is "dieting" the verb. Aka: being on a diet.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's a little more complicated than calories in, calories out. Of course you need a deficit, but food and emotions also play a role.
    Eating well doesn't come easy to people, it is a process.
    Actually no it's not that complicated. Take ANYONE who's overweight and just reduce the AMOUNT they eat (whatever it is) and they'll lose weight barring any health issues.
    Emotional issues with food is a disorder one may need to address with a counselor, therapist, etc., but they can still lose weight eating less than they do now.
    And one doesn't NEED to eat well to lose weight. Many people lose weight while still eating "processed" and junk foods. They just don't eat a lot of it.

This.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're right of course. ninerbuff. I honestly think the word 'diet' has become self defeating at times. I'm trying to get my blood sugars and pancreatitis under control as well as losing weight. Sometimes though, even though I've eaten less calories and carbs, It doesn't seem to help. But, I'll keep on plugging along.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.

ha this was my thought exactly.

people are always saying something like, "it's not a diet! if you're dieting, you're bound to fail. all you have to do is eat fewer calories than you burn!"

lol. i call eating less food than i want- a diet.
  • cleanslateplate
    Options
    That is true. You don't have to eat "healthy food" in order to lose weight. You can eat half a hamburger instead of a huge burger or two burgers or even a huge salad and lose weight. I have been cutting my portions in half and slowly losing.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That is true. You don't have to eat "healthy food" in order to lose weight. You can eat half a hamburger instead of a huge burger or two burgers or even a huge salad and lose weight. I have been cutting my portions in half and slowly losing.

That's what I've been doing, too. I run and walk a lot so I feel much better on a moderate carb diet. My mom and sister did low carb and they gained the weight back, both are back to being morbidly obese and then some. I've read Atkins books for the fun of it and I'm not convinced it's really all that healthy in the long term.

Although anyone can gain weight following any diet, so there is that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some folks do. For many years folks just ate less when they "went on diet".

Using MFP to lose weight is "dieting" the verb. Aka: being on a diet.
    So if someone was trying to gain weight, it's also assumed that they are on a diet? Again, understanding the "literal" meaning, if we were to just address it that way, then no one is really dieting. They are just eating a diet. And yes that would be correct. Of course I'm trying to address the OP and you're more than welcome to convey she's already on a diet. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cleanslateplate
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I once went on the Atkins diet and lost over 50 lbs. However, I also lost handfuls of hair in the shower every day. I also gained back all the weight. I want to do something I can comfortably do the rest of my life. I want to get rid of the "all or nothing" mindset. I want to eat like a normal person who doesn't constantly think about food.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're right of course. ninerbuff. I honestly think the word 'diet' has become self defeating at times. I'm trying to get my blood sugars and pancreatitis under control as well as losing weight. Sometimes though, even though I've eaten less calories and carbs, It doesn't seem to help. But, I'll keep on plugging along.
    Have you tried consulting with a registered dietician to help?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to have a mind shift when we are talking about losing weight. Why are we losing weight? So the numbers go down? Or so that our body functions how it's intended and all systems are firing correctly. I hear so much talk about eating junk to lose weight and it's all about CICO. Yes it is, but if you want to be healthy and as a result of that health weigh less, it's more complicated than CICO. It's about what you choose to eat and fuel your body with. I think it's dangerous to focus just on calories. We probably all know people who are "skinny fat" and fit into a size 2 jeans but would probably die of a heart attack if they ran a quarter mile.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    I think it's important to have a mind shift when we are talking about losing weight. Why are we losing weight? So the numbers go down? Or so that our body functions how it's intended and all systems are firing correctly. I hear so much talk about eating junk to lose weight and it's all about CICO. Yes it is, but if you want to be healthy and as a result of that health weigh less, it's more complicated than CICO. It's about what you choose to eat and fuel your body with. I think it's dangerous to focus just on calories. We probably all know people who are "skinny fat" and fit into a size 2 jeans but would probably die of a heart attack if they ran a quarter mile.

Nobody is saying that the type of food you eat doesn't matter at all.
    They are saying it doesn't matter for weight loss.
    CICO for weight loss, macro/micros for health, exercise for fitness.
    You CAN lose weight eating whatever you want, as long as your calories are in line.
    If you are concerned about your health, you should eat more nutritious food.
    If you want to be fit, you should exercise.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

AKA a diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you tried consulting with a registered dietician to help?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png