new home gym

Options
Okay, I am getting a home gym free of charge from a friend... basically brand new she just doesn't use it. According to the manual, the machine allows for the following exercises:
  • Abdominal Crunch
  • bicep curl
  • tricep pull-down
  • wide lat pull-down
  • upright row
  • pectoral chest flys
  • standard chest press
  • leg kick, outer thigh
  • leg extension
  • standing leg curl
  • leg kick-back/list]

My goal is to lose weight primarily so any suggestions on how many sets and reps?

Replies

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Machines aren't great for much. Free weights are superior. If I were you, I'd sell the machine on craigslist and buy a squat rack, barbell and Olympic plates. You'll be much better off. Once you have those, you want to have a structured lifting program that focuses on compound exercises and progressive overload.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an all in one until I read strong lift 5x5 to get into lifting. :).
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    the problem with all-in-ones is that they focus on isolation exercises, which are mostly useful for advanced lifters looking to compete and need more definition in a specific area. It's so much more efficient to do compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, Overhead press. You'll get in good shape much much faster doing those.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am getting a home gym free of charge from a friend... basically brand new she just doesn't use it. According to the manual, the machine allows for the following exercises:
    • Abdominal Crunch
    • bicep curl
    • tricep pull-down
    • wide lat pull-down
    • upright row
    • pectoral chest flys
    • standard chest press
    • leg kick, outer thigh
    • leg extension
    • standing leg curl
    • leg kick-back/list]

My goal is to lose weight primarily so any suggestions on how many sets and reps?

I wouldn't listen to galgenstrick, everyone is different and likes their own things. When I started out I used machines doing 5x5 doing the exact list you posted above and I saw great results from that and a deficit. Once I got stronger I was able to incorporate heavier lifting, free weights, squats ect, but I didn't cut out the machines completely they still help me. I wouldnt just throw away an expensive piece of equipment and buy a bunch of stuff you may never use, start with the machine and buy more as you build up your muscles and your confidence. When there is no one there to point out improper form on a squat rack it could be more harmful than anything. Just alternate 5x5 leg day and upper body day. Youll get there
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    • Abdominal Crunch
    • bicep curl
    • tricep pull-down
    • wide lat pull-down
    • upright row
    • pectoral chest flys
    • standard chest press
    • leg kick, outer thigh
    • leg extension
    • standing leg curl
    • leg kick-back/list]

I wouldn't listen to galgenstrick, everyone is different and likes their own things. When I started out I used machines doing 5x5 doing the exact list you posted above and I saw great results from that and a deficit. Once I got stronger I was able to incorporate heavier lifting, free weights, squats ect, but I didn't cut out the machines completely they still help me. I wouldnt just throw away an expensive piece of equipment and buy a bunch of stuff you may never use, start with the machine and buy more as you build up your muscles and your confidence. When there is no one there to point out improper form on a squat rack it could be more harmful than anything. Just alternate 5x5 leg day and upper body day. Youll get there

thank you. that is very helpful! I agree that free weights would be ideal and more effecient but I would feel more comfortable being in an actual gym when I get to that point to have someone help me with form seeing as how I'm just starting out. thanks again for the advice
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    While free weights may be superior, machines are still useful and not everyone has space for free weights in their house. If you can sell the machine and get free weights and you'll use them (the key part), then that would be preferred. The downsides of free weights for the average person are space needed and needing safeties or a spotter. Outside of half/full power racks you don't typically see safeties for sale, just regular squat racks with no safeties.

Maybe do something like

Workout A
    * Chest Press
    * row
    * flys
    * lat pull-down
    * triceps
    * biceps

Workout B
    * leg extension
    * leg curl
    * leg kick, outer thigh
    * leg kick-back
    * abs
    * calf raises (not in your list, but worth doing)

Alternate the workouts and do 3-4 workouts/week. Do 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) and then every time you successfully do all your lifts for an exercise increase the weight by the smallest increment. If you fail 3x on a lift, decrease it by 10-15% and continue. So, if you did 40lb on the chest press, next time do 45lb on the chest press.

Its not optimal, and is missing some good exercises, but it is what you have and will still benefit you. If you have adjustable dumbbells you could build a pretty decent routine that combines the two.