I have an iron deficiency

Options
I went to the doctor and he took a bunch of test and found out I'm iron deficient. What are some healthy ways to add iron into my diet other than taking vitamins?

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Meat, spinach, etc. I was iron deficient too/anemic after surgery but that's common after c-sections. I decided to take the pills because it's easier and I'm vegetarian anyway. You might have to take the pills no matter what to rebuild your iron stores, food might not cut it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it? They should give you this info or refer you to someone who can. I've been diagnosed deficient in different things a couple times, and they doctor was always willing to tell me how to fix it. Iron, in too large of a quantity can be deadly, so asking for that advice on the internet, probably isn't the wisest step.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doc. If he didn't mention supplements yet, I'd suggest going the route of iron rich foods (meat/dark green leafy veggies) eat iron rich foods with a glass of orange juice(helps absorb) but try to avoid milk (hinders absorption).

If it's 'just' a deficiency (vs full blown anemia) , it can usually be turned around with proper diet. Could be due to your cycle too - heavy cycles can result in low iron.

Go back in a month or two after eating well and have your blood work done again. At that point, ask those questions about iron supplements. Anemia can be a sign of other illnesses too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Watch out for iron supplements - the doses are generally huge. I take a multivitamin with iron (40% RDA). Not all multivitamins will have any iron - look for a child proof cap.

Anyway, citrus helps you absorb iron. Too much calcium or caffeine will prevent absorption.

Breakfast cereal is often fortified with iron - Grapenuts & Raisin Bran have especially big numbers.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods