Good Food, Bad Food, I'm the guy with the vectors

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
The problem with saying food is good or bad is that beyond the psychological connotations it puts on food (that I find just aren't helpful in having a healthy relationship, YMMV), is that it views the complex world of nutrition and homeostasis as an oversimplified scalar.

What is a scalar? In physics class you probably heard about them, and maybe you forgot. Scalars are things with simple +/-, more/less measurements, like temperature.
People talking about good food and bad food are tending to think that food operates like a scalar and that more good food negates more bad food, and that more good food is always a good thing.
tkd7ptgdg7l7.png

Unfortunately, the human body and human nutrition aren't such simple things. We exist in a dynamic equilibrium called homeostasis. Going too much in any one direction means we die. Going too much in the opposite direction and... we die. Nutrition is balancing all of the very different directions we could be headed in to stay near the center. This makes food and its nutrients more of a vector - there's an amount and a direction, similar to velocity - you have a speed (scalar / magnitude) and direction (northwest).
This is why many people say no healthy foods, just diets, or they say that they can't say if a food is healthy without the context of the overall diet.

e22bvdadz46o.png
At a given moment a person's calcium could be low. That means broccoli with its calcium would be a good food. Alternatively, a person have eaten several blocks of cheese today, and be on the way to forming a kidney stone with the excess calcium - now, potentially, the calcium in broccoli is very painfully unhealthy.

So as you can see, anyone saying they can tell you they know a food is good or bad is saying they can know how to get somewhere without knowing where they are. It doesn't make sense.

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Don't forget how amazing our small intestine, liver, and kidneys are. They help to make the body more "idiot proof" than what we credit them to do.

I had a lifespan development professor say everything in life is affected by the timing, dose, and duration of everything else, and it certainly can be applied to nutrition. Eating a small amount of broccoli at one meal at a time we're calcium deficient would affect us differently than eating a high amount of broccoli at every meal when we're already consuming well above the upper limit of calcium each day.
  • senecarr
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Don't forget how amazing our small intestine, liver, and kidneys are. They help to make the body more "idiot proof" than what we credit them to do.

I had a lifespan development professor say everything in life is affected by the timing, dose, and duration of everything else, and it certainly can be applied to nutrition. Eating a small amount of broccoli at one meal at a time we're calcium deficient would affect us differently than eating a high amount of broccoli at every meal when we're already consuming well above the upper limit of calcium each day.

Very true. If you cut the compass from between North and Northwest to between South and SouthEast, everything on the western side of that line would be what naturally occurs over time, such that time would be a constant vector pushing every measure towards certain conditions.

And yes, timing with does can affect things like update and utilization. Magnesium and calcium together will block each other. Vitamin C and Iron together will increase uptake of iron.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Great thread @senecarr !
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    raxnz8hbxm0a.jpeg

Vectors are cool.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    But...but ...it's a snowflake :bigsmile:

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, a SPECIAL snowflake!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, a SPECIAL snowflake!

:laugh: So there ARE special snowflakes!
  • L1p0
    L1p0 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger problem is that too many people are eating a food-like substance these days, and not real food. I know that used to be my problem.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Excellent post. The compass is especially helpful.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It looks more like a Death Star to me.

Nice work. h.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It's a Blackstar.

Great thread.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @CurlyCockney aww geee nice thought.
    :'( h
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    @middlehaitch I kinda wish I hadn't posted it, because it's started me blubbing again xxx
  • senecarr
    Options
    It's a Blackstar.

Great thread.

I feel odd that a month after I started listening to Celldweller's Blackstar, Bowie has a final album named the same. I'm going to guess the music styles are a bit different.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6IAXuCSLgw
  • CurlyCockney
    edited January 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    It's a Blackstar.

Great thread.

I feel odd that a month after I started listening to Celldweller's Blackstar, Bowie has a final album named the same. I'm going to guess the music styles are a bit different.

LOL yes, a lot different! Mind you, I hang out on davidbowie.com message boards too, and some of the conspiracy/connections being made there are blowing my mind (from 'blackstar' being a type of tumour, to Elvis's song Black Star being about cancer - plus they share a birthday, to hidden messages in lyrics) so I'm happy it's different!

Sorry for hijacking btw!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    A scalar bump for vectors