I DO NOT want to be Fat & Forty

Hello my name is Kim I am a wife of 18 years and a mother of 3 (16,11,10) and I live in Illinois. Since 2011 I have had such success on Weight Watchers I had lost 60+ pounds and was 8lbs away from goal I thought I could loss the last 8 on my own so I stopped going to my meetings and "Enjoyed life" a little to much. Here I am 4 1/2 years later and I have gained back just about all of it :( I have beat myself about a lot lately, I track almost daily but I have lost my will power and my focus. Well this is he year I turn 40 and I truly refuse to be Fat & Forty!!! I would love to lose 50lbs by my birthday (June 14th) but I know that is a lot and I don't want to do it unhealthy so I would be ok losing as much as I can by that date. I'm looking for some friends to help me along the way with some motivation and accountability. I am still going to go to my Weight Watcher meetings once a week that will help me stay on track! Please feel free to friend request me or for me to friend request you.

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    The problem with Weight Watchers and other diet programs is that they aren't really sustainable long-term, as you discovered. They can get you started, but they don't do it all.
    Anything more than 2 lbs a week isn't sustainable. That being said, even at 1-1.5 lbs weight loss per week, you can drop 30-40 lbs by your birthday. I think you can do it!
    Don't rely on diet alone, if you can help it. Get walking/swimming/whatever you need to do to get moving. :) You got this!
  • benedm
    benedm Posts: 10 Member
    I'm looking to build up a group of friends on MFP for continued motivation. I have another solid 25lbs to go, so I'm always looking for help to keep me focused. Something I did recently was to give my self a short term goal, and a reward to go along with it. My goal was about 20 lbs away and if I got there and stayed for a month, I earned a trip to the tattoo parlor. I already want another, so my next milestone is also going to get the same reward. This strategy has seemed to help me recently. Best of luck..you got this..I can tell just by your note that your super strong (obviously with 3 kids you have to be :smile: ) Please feel free to friend request
  • mamajkeach
    mamajkeach Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi Kim! I'm a wife of 17 years and have two kids, 16 and 12. I'm turning 39 this year and am determined to change my life. Last year, I was close to my goal and then suffered an injury. Once I stopped working out, I gained my weight back. A new job equated to tons of stress...food was my drug of choice. I find myself near my all time heaviest and am not happy. I feel yucky. That being said...I've been tracking calories and drinking more than a gallon of water a day. I also started using my fitbit again...I'm a competitive lady, so this helps me move! Let's do this!
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    You can do it! I recommend finding an exercise you really like that pairs with your eating. Do you have a gym close? Walking is a good start. I personally enjoy all the classes at my gym...from Body Pump to U-Jam (cardio dance). Find an exercise you love and stick to it and watch the weight fall off! We are here to support you!
  • sandmanspretty
    sandmanspretty Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Kim. I'm a wife of six years with two rambunctious boys of two and five. I thought wig chasing after them I would drop weight quick. Not so much. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I'm 32 and said I would loose my weight before 30 and my husband and I started together in early 2013. It was great until by June when I had lost 30 lbs I also found out I was pregnant. Lol. Since then I have given up even trying and am disgusted that I weigh more now then when I delivered. I'm trying again and would love the motivation from those who struggle. My biggest problem is I eat and never feel full. Also I wait to eat with my husband and sometimes that means late dinners.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    I'm Andy, Just before I hit 29 I was 5'10" and 335 pounds. On This coming monday I will be 41 and am hovering around 169 lbs. You can do it, it is possible.
  • Lu_wallace06
    Lu_wallace06 Posts: 107 Member
    feel free to add me!
  • tracycmrn129
    tracycmrn129 Posts: 12 Member
    Add me please
  • coleson07
    coleson07 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't want to be fat and forty either! I turn 40 May!
  • Wwer_Onelasttime
    Wwer_Onelasttime Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I know I'm right where I belong! Let's all get to our goals together there is so much support here!! =)
  • jonial99
    jonial99 Posts: 10 Member
    Add me. I'm looking for as much motivation as I can get. I'm down 11 lbs still plenty to go. We can do this with a accountability!
  • a_j_paterson
    a_j_paterson Posts: 26 Member
    45 myself this year, and although I keep active this New Year I topped the scales at the heaviest I have ever been. I get friends saying "you don't look fat", and I kept listening to them and I just carried on eating badly, and the weight kept slowly creeping up. This year it is stopping, cleared the house of junk, and looking forward to a fit and un-fat life ahead.
  • mccoyt85
    mccoyt85 Posts: 9 Member
    benedm wrote: »
    I'm looking to build up a group of friends on MFP for continued motivation. I have another solid 25lbs to go, so I'm always looking for help to keep me focused. Something I did recently was to give my self a short term goal, and a reward to go along with it. My goal was about 20 lbs away and if I got there and stayed for a month, I earned a trip to the tattoo parlor. I already want another, so my next milestone is also going to get the same reward. This strategy has seemed to help me recently. Best of luck..you got this..I can tell just by your note that your super strong (obviously with 3 kids you have to be :smile: ) Please feel free to friend request
    I love that you added that last part Benedm to your goal "got there and STAYED A MONTH". I think we sometimes get so excited to reach a goal we forget to maintain it.
  • murphey21
    murphey21 Posts: 126 Member
    I turn 40 this year also and want to drop 40-50 pounds by then too. That would be amazing. Friend request sent!
  • tweetsmom
    tweetsmom Posts: 31 Member
    I have 40 lbs to lose as well and will take all the support and motivation I can get. Will be sending friend requests to many of you on this thread.
  • Wwer_Onelasttime
    Wwer_Onelasttime Posts: 7 Member
    Woohoo The more the merrier B) So glad to see everyone here!
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Have you thought about a plant based diet? I see so many people dieting and eating "food like products." Watch Forks Over Knives to start. I've been eating this way for 4yrs and am 48. I have more energy than people half my age! I also never get sick! Here's a great quote, "Nobody who recommended low fat eating suggested eating Snackwell cookies. But that was our cultural response." There is no need to starve yourself when eating whole plant based foods. And you don't need high protein. That's a myth. Think about it.... people are trying all these protein diets to lose weight. Yet, body builders are also adding protein to make gains! hmmmm.... Your body can only process so much at once. The food industry is bombarding us with false information to make $$$.
  • MagickLisa
    MagickLisa Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Kim and others :-)...I have also set a goal to lose weight by the time I turn 40 at the end of May. 40 by 40, is my goal. I have more than that to lose, but I'm starting with that to help myself feel like progress is more attainable. I'm also T1 diabetic and my health is pretty much a big ol' mess. I was quite active when I was younger and want to get back to being able to be that way. Would love to find a group of folks to share motivation, tips, successes, and mutual goals. I have a hard time motivating myself and following through, and am tired of feeling bad about myself.
  • louise71594
    louise71594 Posts: 8 Member
    Right now I'm more focused on making better choices and making exercise a routine not just something to do. This app is helping with that. I definitely would like to lose weight but that's not my main goal. My eating habits need improving and I hope with that as my focus eventually the weight will come off. I have no set amount of weight I want to lose. I don't want to get stuck on a number, just let the weight gradually come off because I'm eating better. I hate the word diet. Want no part of it. Creating a healthier lifestyle is my goal.
  • latineyes2
    latineyes2 Posts: 31 Member
    What ElizabethOakes2 said is correct. WW isn't really designed for a lifestyle change. Drinking meal supplements, Jenny Craig, NutraSystem, WW none of that is sustainable for life. WW is great to get started. I've done it and was successful, but couldn't sustain. Honestly, who wants to count points the rest of their life.

You have to approach this as a lifestyle change and do what you know will sustain you for life! Changing eating habits, eating less, making better choices and planning are all key! You can still enjoy food, just make wiser choices & exercise, you can't lose weight without exercise!

I'm 42, the heaviest I've ever been and boarderline diabetic. I have at least 80 lbs to lose. It's Do or Die for me! So I'm making lifestyle changes!

You can do this! We can be encouraging to each other!