Exercising with anger—a success story (sort of)

Options
2»

Replies

• javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Joe,

Congratulations on your success! I'm also a heart attack survivor - the infamous widow maker at the age of 50 on 1/21/11 that resulted in a full cardiac arrest. Lucky for me it happened at the on-site gym at work and a trainer was there to give CPR and give me a couple jump starts with the AED. Fortunately I was in pretty good shape from running and biking (marathons/triathlons) and the quick treatment resulted in no significant damage to my heart.

I also channeled my energy to post cardiac recovery and was able to resume running within 2 months after the event. I still need to lose some more weight but my cardiologist has supported my sports activities and I completed the Goofy Challenge this year at Disney World and have another half and full marathon on my schedule for the remainder of this year.

Fitness and lifestyle changes along with today's fantastic medical technology allows for a much better prognosis for living with heart disease. My family history for heart disease is pretty bleak - I always joke that I came from the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to my heart. Nevertheless, I can assure you that the steps you have taken will allow you maintain a full and active life,

All the best as you continue your journey.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Brilliant - you look like a different man!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    We all need that kick in the pants once in a while. So glad you went forward with yours. You look great.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love your story!! It's very much like my dads. He was around 52 when the widow maker struck. After rehab he changed his ways, lost weight and quit smoking. He still watches what he eats and exercises daily. It's been over 20 years now and his only meds are for cholesterol and thyroid. The changes you've made will make a difference!!

Awesome job and thank you for sharing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!