Weight Gain

Options
I am sitting at about 139lbs right now I want to try to gain at least 15-25lbs more of muscle and was just wondering if anyone has some good tips on eating, what kind of supplements to take. Good workouts to do just any tips in general really thanks appreciate it a lot!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In general you want to eat >0.6g/lb of protein, ~0.4g/lb of fats and the rest carbs. You can play with your carbs and fats a little to see what works best for you, but that's a good starting place. Eat enough calories to gain 0.5-1lb per week.

For a workout routine. Pick a structured routine that focuses on progressive overload and compound exercises.

Cardio is optional for the health benefits, but limit it to an hour or less per week so you can recover more effectively from your resistance training. You can break up the cardio into multiple sessions. I like to do no more than three 20 minutes sessions of HIIT per week.

Sups aren't necessary, but if you're going to take any, take 5g of creatine monhydrate per day. Preworkouts can help too, but just be careful since a lot of the supplement industry is underdosed and overpriced trash. So make sure you research the ingredients and probably just make your own from bulk. Examine.com is a good resource to see what ingredients are effective and backed with clinical studies.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long have you been lifting?

Before you get into supplements, I would get calories, macros and your training on point.
  • xTrapp14
    xTrapp14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Around a month and a half
  • psuLemon
    Options
    xTrapp14 wrote: »
    Around a month and a half

Are you following a structured program yet like Strong Lift, Starting Strength, NROL?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Stickies are here if you haven't seen them yet:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1
    Don't waste your money on supplements. They exist so that pro bodybuilders can earn a living. Even creatine will make such a small difference you probably won't even notice. Once you get closer to your genetic potential, your gains will slow down, and you may find it useful to spend money on some supplement that will maybe possibly give you a tiny performance bump.
  • xTrapp14
    xTrapp14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am currently not following a plan what so ever
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Personally, I would follow a structured program for a few months prior to bulking to address the neurological efficiencies and then transition to a bulk. Essentially, your muscles will become more efficient prior to adding new mass. This doesn't mean you won't see some muscle development if you start now, but it won't be as optimal.

With that said, several good programs to start with are StrongLift, StartingStrength, Ice Cream Fitness, New Rules of Lift (for abs, for life) or the lean muscle diet (These latter two are books).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Be prepared to be in it for the long haul. Putting on 15-25 lbs. of muscle could take 1-2 years (or more), depending on whether your diet and training are on point and how consistent you are. Read the stickies that Richin mentioned above and if you want to go a little more in depth, take the time to read this: bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html

Here is another good series (4 parts), that can be beneficial to your overall journey.