Is Being Skinny Fat Okay?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This is not what "skinny fat" means. "Skinny fat" refers to people who have very high bodyfat percentages despite maintaining an "optimal" BMI. Lacking popping muscles or not being a bodybuilder does NOT make you "skinny fat".

Bingo!

OP, you are not skinny fat.
    You may not be muscular but if you want to try a resistance program that's up to your personal preference.
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would die to have your body!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Of course you shouldn't feel pressured, if you do, that's an internal issue you need to address. If your health markers are good, and you're happy with your body, then get on with your bad self!

Edit because making werds is hard.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ignore any family members who are criticizing you.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Screw society. You look amazing and should do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What's important is how YOU feel.

I work out because I like to feel strong.

Anyway, definitely wouldn't call you "skinny fat". You look great.
    but if you wanted to build some booty, just do some squats, no biggie.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I would die to have your body!!!

But...then you wouldn't...because...you'd be dead...
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "Is it okay to not want to look like people in magazines?"

I have a hard time even accepting this is a serious question. If you don't think something is attractive and you don't want to look like that, then be your own person and don't. If being on tumbler and Instagram makes you feel insecure then, ya know, don't be on tumbler and Instagram. You don't have to drink the koolaid just because others are. Life's going to be rough until you figure that out.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the fact that you have the body of a female human but the head of a cat! Get caught in the transporter device from the Fly? ;)
  • Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for this waist trainer, butt implant/fat transfer trend to be over with.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ecdce wrote: »

I have a hard time even accepting this is a serious question. If you don't think something is attractive and you don't want to look like that, then be your own person and don't. If being on tumbler and Instagram makes you feel insecure then, ya know, don't be on tumbler and Instagram. You don't have to drink the koolaid just because others are. Life's going to be rough until you figure that out.

And after I spend so much time bringing up others too. I know this I just get too caught up in comparing myself with fitness people on tumblr and instagram.

Also I just always thought that there was two kinds of thin: fit/lean and skinny fat. I figured I was skinny fat.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    ecdce wrote: »

And after I spend so much time bringing up others too. I know this I just get too caught up in comparing myself with fitness people on tumblr and instagram.

Also I just always thought that there was two kinds of thin: fit/lean and skinny fat. I figured I was skinny fat.

I think you're just "skinny", without the negative connotations that word has for some.

"Slim", in other words.

I think you look great.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This is not what "skinny fat" means. "Skinny fat" refers to people who have very high bodyfat percentages despite maintaining an "optimal" BMI. Lacking popping muscles or not being a bodybuilder does NOT make you "skinny fat".

Bingo!

OP, you are not skinny fat.
    You may not be muscular but if you want to try a resistance program that's up to your personal preference.

Thank you for educating me! I didn't know what skinny fat was in all honesty.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You cannot change your bodyshape to please others. There is nothing wrong with your body, others would kill to look like this. At your age, focus on exercise for fun, not to change your body according to what someone else's ideal.
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Being whatever you want to be is ok. Make your body what you want it, you're the only one that has to live in it.

This!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    At one point, looking exactly like you do right now was the sought after look. People chased that look then, and now an athletic look is considered "in". Who knows what people will consider sexy next, but I know one thing, if you are happy with the way you look you don't have to bend over backwards to please others.

It's sad how something that women did to rebel against the magazine stereotypes to promote strength, freedom of choice, and body acceptance has turned into a magazine stereotype itself that people are now pressured to pursue.

Just do what makes you happy, and those who don't like it can go and change their own bodies to look like whatever they want them to look like. That's their problem not yours.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You are not skinny fat. You're slim. If you've lost 50 pounds, it may take some time to adjust, and truly 'see' yourself for the size you are now. There are some benefits to strength training you could consider, such as bone health and lean mass gives you more daily calories, but unless you were doing a lot, you probably wouldn't get bulky. That doesn't happen accidentally.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand since when having a bit of healthy fat means 'being skinny fat'.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at tumblr and instagram. Back in my day (get off my lawn), Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell and various other supermodels had "the look" that caught people's attentions. Were they lovely? Absolutely. But I don't remember my peers (teenage/young adult women) obsessing over looking like them the way that a good number of teenage/young adult women do with these instagram people.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You are fine. BUT......

I am the same height and weight as you, and was from my teens to my fifties. Up to my forties my daily activity kept me fit and with a decent muscle mass.

In my fifties I put on 30lbs then lost back to my normal weight.

The difference was- I had to work very hard to regain the muscle I lost. I am now in better shape than I was in my 30-40's, but it has taken 3-4 years to get there.

Why do I tell you this?
    So you know, even if you do not want to work out formally, keeping active and moving is important.

At your age I thought once I hit 50 never mind 60 I would be an old lady and wouldn't care. How wrong I was!
    I enjoy an active regular life, much more so than a lot of my friends and look pretty good for my age, yes still important.

I now have the opportunity to travel to far flung places and I want to be the woman that keeps up with everyone, not the woman tagging along struggling with a walker.

TLDR: Stay as you are that is fine, but be aware that as you age the benefits of good bones, muscles, heart, and lungs become more apparent.

Cheers, h.

Quoting this comment to bump it up.

Excellent comment, as usual :smile: