Green Tea

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're really curious about this, you can look for the studies and read up on it yourself. Most of them haven't shown much. There have been some studies that show it might maybe possibly cause a very, very slight increase in metabolism (the oft cited 4% from a 1999 study- or about 50-100 extra calories a day). But that's within the margin of error for most people who calorie count and it was a very small study and is very old in terms of scientific research. The effects have been blown way out of proportion by news articles and weight loss products.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, I like it and it works
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

It works for what?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It works for what?

Stimulating the placebo effect.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It works for what?

Mmmmm....I love having my placebo stimulated.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

It works for what?

Mmmmm....I love having my placebo stimulated.

TMI dude
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've used it to replace diet soda. It's yummy enough on it's own that I don't need to add artificial sweeteners to it. It gives me a small caffeine boost, and it keeps me from hitting the vending machine at work during the afternoon slump. I can't say a word about my metabolism, but curbing that urge to snack while reducing artificial sweetener in my diet--WIN!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I know it's suppose to help with your metabolism.

It doesn't. Muscles help with your metabolism though.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Not as much as people think. A pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day, a pound of muscle burns around 6. So every pound of muscle you add burns about 4 extra calories per day, and adding significant amounts of muscle is time-consuming and requires a caloric surplus (eating more than you burn), which also adds fat along with the muscle.

As to the green tea - as others have said, nothing magical about it. It has some caffeine which is mildly thermogenic, but a cup of coffee has more caffeine than a cup of green tea. It's a zero calorie drink and many people drink it because they like the taste, but green tea in and of itself has no magical weight loss properties.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Not as much as people think. A pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day, a pound of muscle burns around 6. So every pound of muscle you add burns about 4 extra calories per day, and adding significant amounts of muscle is time-consuming and requires a caloric surplus (eating more than you burn), which also adds fat along with the muscle.

As to the green tea - as others have said, nothing magical about it. It has some caffeine which is mildly thermogenic, but a cup of coffee has more caffeine than a cup of green tea. It's a zero calorie drink and many people drink it because they like the taste, but green tea in and of itself has no magical weight loss properties.

I was under the impression that the increased calorie burn from higher lean muscle mass was experienced mostly during recovery, not so much as a bump in normal metabolic rate.