Losing fat and retaining lean muscle

Hi,
I apologise in advance if this has been posted before.
I am on a mission to lower my body fat percentage whilst retaining the muscle of have built up via the training regime I have been undertaking.
However is there any advice on how to "try" to ensure that it is fat going rather than lean muscle mass?
Many thanks

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Continue to lift heavy while cutting.
    Eat adequate protein (0.6 - 0.8 grams per pound of body weight)
    Set your deficit to lose at a somewhat slower, steady pace vs. quick & drastic

There's no way to ensure you're losing 0% muscle, but these help minimize it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    To maximize your fat:muscle loss ratio:

1. Eat at a moderate caloric deficit - I looked at your profile. With the amount you want to lose, this is .5-1 pound per week. That means eating, on average, 250-500 calories fewer than it takes to maintain your current weight.
    2. Eat sufficient amounts of protein - .64-.82 grams per pound is sufficient. Eat more if you like, though, as it's not going to hurt you.
    3. Continue your resistance training (lifting weights, bodyweight work, etc.)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited January 2016
    You will lose some muscle, that's just how it works. To minimize the amount, keep protein high, keep lifting heavy, keep your deficit around 500 calories.
  • FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    Thanks guys this is helpful. Much appreciated, I'm trying to keep the protein high.