Picky Picky Picky!

Options
Alright i'm the first to admit- i'am seriously so frigging picky. I always have been. And on top of that i have a pretty bad stomach. Anyways it limits drastically what i'll eat and i find myself coming in under my calories. Which would be fine but i can hardly make it to 1000 cal's. I'm starving my body and trying hard not to.
So what would you guys make for a picky eater to eat? I'am trying really hard- i make smoothies, i cut veggies so thin that i cant taste them in my food ( lol i knooooow ) I stick to what i know i like while slowly getting out of my comfort zone and adding a few new things here and there. It's a struggle but any advice or recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Eat more of what you do like to make calories I guess. But honestly just be less picky. It's fine to be a four year old who won't eat beans, but it gets a little silly in adults.
  • Starman02
    Starman02 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    But honestly just be less picky. It's fine to be a four year old who won't eat beans, but it gets a little silly in adults.

Easier said than done Cassidy- and if it were that simple i would not have posted asking for different foods- but thank you!

LOL Yes a retired astronaut ;) I'm lactose! so dairy is a big no no, i'm also celiac. As you can imagine it makes eating difficult. but i love chicken and like i said i'm willing to scarf anything down as long as i cant taste it LOL ah shoot i thought my diary was already open! Ill change that!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult? Eat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If it's veggies - try a new one every week. Eat it raw, steamed, roasted, grilled. Add spices and seasonings. Eat is fresh, eat it frozen. There are going to be taste and texture differences....for the SAME vegetable.

If it's fruits - along the same lines as above. You can cut it up or blend it

Getting used to new flavors and textures takes time. You can choose to taste something once, and hate it for life.

This is a book for getting your kids to eat more veggies: http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452884270&sr=1-1&keywords=deceptively+delicious
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was a very picky eater, and in some cases still am. I started challenging myself to eat one new fruit or veggie a week.
    If you like seafood I make a sauce to put over spaghetti squash that is quite tasty. Some of the veggies are zuchinni, mushrooms, green and red peppers, some red onion. I add shrimp and scallops. I mix it all up with tomato paste and water and spices (the same as you would use in a spaghetti sauce). Brush the squash on both side with olive oil and italian spices. Once it's cooked, scoop it out, plate it and pour your sauce over it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Starman02 wrote: »
    Alright i'm the first to admit- i'am seriously so frigging picky. I always have been. And on top of that i have a pretty bad stomach. Anyways it limits drastically what i'll eat and i find myself coming in under my calories. Which would be fine but i can hardly make it to 1000 cal's. I'm starving my body and trying hard not to.
    So what would you guys make for a picky eater to eat? I'am trying really hard- i make smoothies, i cut veggies so thin that i cant taste them in my food ( lol i knooooow ) I stick to what i know i like while slowly getting out of my comfort zone and adding a few new things here and there. It's a struggle but any advice or recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Let's see if I've got this right? You are such a picky eater that you can barely find 1,000 calories per day that you are able to eat. How did you become overweight eating less than 1,000 calories a day?

Your post makes no sense, you became overweight by eating too much. What you must do to lose weight is eat the same things but less of them.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't see where she said she's overweight. I can totally sympathize with the OP because I'm 36 and a pretty picky eater. I decided about 10 years ago that I'm not going to change, and I don't expect others to cater to my pickiness. I've been able to find foods that I like and while it seems boring, I eat pretty much the same meals on a regular basis. I don't like my foods touching on a plate and I dislike most casseroles and soups/stews. Here are some non-dairy/gluten-free ideas:

Salmon and green beans (cook in olive oil and add nutritional yeast to green beans)
    Rotisserie chicken and sautéed zucchini
    Salmon with marinara sauce over gluten-free pasta
    Add almond butter and kale to a smoothie (I have the Nutri Ninja because it grinds up everything very fine and I have issues with texture)
    Flank steak marinated with chili powder, lime juice, and olive oil grilled with a side
    I do eat a lot of fresh fruits and nuts as snacks

Good luck with introducing new foods!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, can you clarify if you're trying to lose weight, gain weight, or maintain?

Also, do you find yourself missing some nutritional goals because of your pickiness or are you just looking to add more calories to your day?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    pasta sauce is a GREAT way to hide veggies... you can blend up a ton of veggies and hide it in the sauce and u won't even know. What about food makes you a picky eater? My husband was so picky and didn't even know about so many foods. I was a chef for 10 years and just force fed him delicious stuff and opened his taste buds.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    But honestly just be less picky. It's fine to be a four year old who won't eat beans, but it gets a little silly in adults.

Easier said than done Cassidy- and if it were that simple i would not have posted asking for different foods- but thank you!

LOL Yes a retired astronaut ;) I'm lactose! so dairy is a big no no, i'm also celiac. As you can imagine it makes eating difficult. but i love chicken and like i said i'm willing to scarf anything down as long as i cant taste it LOL ah shoot i thought my diary was already open! Ill change that!

It does not matter whether you are "picky" or not. Eat the foods that you like to eat.

(Stay away from gluten and dairy of course.)
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Have you tried some kind of liquid homemade shakes. ?
  • gijewels22
    gijewels22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried juicing? Surprisingly it's high in calories if you're having a few a day. Def time consuming but it's an easy way to eat more quantities of what you're lacking in nutrients. -Jules
  • Starman02
    Options

Let's see if I've got this right? You are such a picky eater that you can barely find 1,000 calories per day that you are able to eat. How did you become overweight eating less than 1,000 calories a day?

Your post makes no sense, you became overweight by eating too much. What you must do to lose weight is eat the same things but less of them.

Actually no- I never said I was over weight.. you did lol. I'm trying to gain muscle, tone and maintain. Because Im having trouble eating my recommended calorie intake my body is in starvation mode- my metabolism is shot and I clearly wrote I'm asking for advice and/or recipes! I'm tired of eating the same ol thing and would love feedback on different recipes that worked for others! :)
  • Starman02
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! :) Appreciate it!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Actually no- I never said I was over weight.. you did lol. I'm trying to gain muscle, tone and maintain. Because Im having trouble eating my recommended calorie intake my body is in starvation mode- my metabolism is shot and I clearly wrote I'm asking for advice and/or recipes! I'm tired of eating the same ol thing and would love feedback on different recipes that worked for others! :)

Yeah..... No. Starvation mode, they way most people think of it, doesn't exist.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

9528437.png

Doesn't your profile indicate that your goal is to lose 67 pounds and you have lost 7 pounds so far? I didn't create your profile.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Since you want to try expanding which foods you eat, is there something particular you think you might like to try? We can chime in with ways to prepare it so maybe you'd like it better. Which kinds of textures do you do okay with, and which do you avoid?

If you want to try a pureed vegetable or fruit without investing a lot of time and effort into it, buy a jar of baby food and see how you do with it. It'll be bland by itself which you might like, and/or you can add it to recipes.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic because I recently realized I am picky too. Like my banana has to be perfectly ripe or I won't eat it. And I only like raw broccoli. But trying all the different varieties is the best plan off action.