Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Anyone using one of these............ if so, how does it work? With pictures

Options
TwinkieDong
TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
https://www.yahoo.com/health/this-freaky-gym-trend-belongs-1342475955175478.html

Last week, I strolled into my gym and was midway through a yawn when a dude on the treadmill caught my eye.

No, it’s not because I thought he was cute. He might have been, but I couldn’t tell because most of his face was covered by what looked like a hazmat mask. I immediately wondered, “Is he okay? Is something wrong with the air in here?”

I consulted my good friend Google and found that gym goers everywhere have been strapping these intense masks to their faces at the start of their workouts. But why?!

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'd have to say that anyone using one has never been at any higher altitudes. It makes about as much sense as putting a belt around your neck. Then again, some of the people that head into the gym might already be oxygen deprived....

Give it time. They will be marketed as the VO2max increase trainer!
  • Aint_Misbehavin
    Aint_Misbehavin Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd have a panic attack if I were to wear something that's sole purpose is to make it harder to breath. No thanks.
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Actually i wear one when i go jogging outside, its helped a little not in the running aspect but how i breathe i don't see a huge diff yet since i just started using it. I was training with a Division 1 Soccer team last year and a lot of the players used it to increase lung capacity/endurance for running, you can see the difference it makes but it feels like it will take a long time before you see an outcome.

Really you can just google Elevation Mask, and you can read up on it, half way through my run i take it off for a bit than i just put it back on once i feel i can
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's a bad idea for asthmatics?
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    wrong thread