How many meals a day do you eat?

Options
I've heard 3 is better. I've heard 6-8 is better. I eat 2 only because I fell full longer and not much time to cook several times a day. How many meals a day do you eat and why? Is there a difference for different goals?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The best number of meals will vary by person. If two works for you (keeps you full, helps you meet your goals), then it's the best for you.

I eat three meals a day because it fits my schedule and seems to give me the best mood and energy. Sometimes I will add a snack.
  • GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Like 1 or 2 now that I'm back to LCHF/IF. But yeah, within that 5-6 hour eating window, I'll have 1-2 meals.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat 1.

Why? Because that is the only time I am hungry. And I enjoy "bingeing" at night so I am allowed to because that is the only time that I eat. It is easy for me (since I am never hungry during the day and I don't have to prep multiple meals) while making it easier to stay within my calorie goal (it is not impossible to overeat my calories in one meal, but much more difficult). And I haven't had to give up any foods I like.

And it really doesn't matter how many meals. You will get people who say you have to eat breakfast. You will get people who say you have to eat 6 times per day. You will get people who say you have to eat 3 meals per day. "My dietitian said this!" and "Dr. Oz said that!"

In the end, CI/CO is all that really matters for weight loss.

Nutrition is a whole different ball of wax. You may not get the nutrients you need with one meal, but that is something you can work on.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I also eat 2 meals a day. Lunch and dinner. My "breakfast" is usually coffee/tea or a snack(apple). I eat snacks in between, but 2 meals is fine enough for me.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    3 with healthy mini snacks in between. All logged. Do you snack?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times, but that's because I'm more of a grazer and I just like eating my way through the day. :wink: It doesn't matter though. As long as you get your calories in, the "when" isn't important.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i eat about 5 or 6, but i'm a slow eater and im basically eating from one meal to the next .
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    2 meals, 2 snacks. I do not get hungry in the mornings. I have a meal around noon, a late afternoon snack, a dinner, and a post workout snack in the evening.
  • bpwolf77
    bpwolf77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1 big meal, then if I get hungry I snack. Down 41 pounds so far
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I only eat two meals a day. The first one I start eating somewhere between noon and 6PM the second one I start eating between 5PM and 10PM. If I don't get to the second one due to plans I likely just go to bed that night and tell myself I can eat those calories the next day :P
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    3 meals, 2-3 snacks. I have gastroparesis so it's easier on my stomach this way.
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 2 or three snacks. It leaves me eating all day which I enjoy because it gives me more energy and I don't feel over stuffed or deprived
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    During the work week, I eat three meals and one or two snacks. On the weekends, I tend to eat a bigger breakfast or brunch, so it's usually two meals and one or two snacks. I typically eat most of my calories in the evening because that's when I am hungrier. I don't think it matters how often you eat as long as you are staying within your calorie budget. You may find that you have more energy if you eat at regular intervals, but that's not true for everybody, either.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    3 meals, 3 snacks during the week. I like to eat. I know some people believe in "eat to live" but food is delicious. So this keeps me satisfied and keeps me from reaching for excess. On the weekends, it's still 6 times, but it's more like 2 meals, 4 snacks just b/c I wake up later in the day. So instead of breakfast, I'll go straight to lunch.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat two meals and snack the rest of the day.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    3 meals, and post workout snacks if warranted.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Two for the same reason as you :) I feel more satisfied with larger meals. Half the time I've allotted so much food I can't finish which is starting to feel great. Just today I was able to leave the last few bites without feeling required to finish. Small wins.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    3 meals.. post work out stuff snack and a snack after dinner..

Not sure of there is a debate here, but to my knowledge the body doesn't care what time of day you feed it, just as long as you do.. My body will tell me around 2:00 p.m. if I forgot to feed it...LOL
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat several times a day but only 1 or 2 are full meals most days. I almost always have a very filling breakfast that keeps me full for hours.