Need Feedback on This new diet I created for myself

Options
I recently started using MyFitnessPal as a diary of sorts and have of course become addicted to checking calories and exercise. I formed a diet for myself that is yet unproven but it is possible for myself to do without feeling like I want to strangle people like on most diets. The basic outline is that I have a GNC Total Lean shake for both breakfast and lunch, with the addition of a couple of small snacks thought the day such as fruit, almonds, lite string cheese, lean jerky, carrots, etc. I like to switch it up so I don't get bored but basically stuff that's good for you and low in calories. I also take Superior Amino 2222 tabs, a multivitamin, and a fish oil tab. And drink only water. This is every day. After work when I get home I force myself to go run for 30-40 minutes or 3-4 miles before I can eat dinner or drink. Sometimes I'll feel like a real *kitten* and burn through it or sometimes I'll be lazy through it, just so long as I do it. After that I check my fitness pal and drink and eat whatever I want for dinner. I can choose a cheeseburger and beer if I feel like it or boiled chicken and vegetables if I'm feeling like a real *kitten*. So long as I'm under my total calorie intake for the day (which I usually am by about 400 according to MFP). This approach has kept me feeling fine throughout the day and given me a reward system everyday with the dinners. I can't do the long term goal thing because I'll get bored and quit.

Someone who is qualified please tell me if I can succeed, doing this every day.

Thanks

Replies

• kwkeegan
    kwkeegan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't believe they blipped out my words. I'm about to delete just from that. That's *kitten*.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Can you succeed? Assuming a goal of strictly weight loss, sure, as long as you create a calorie deficit.

Can you succeed - assuming a goal of enjoying life, food, not wasting money on unnecessary supplements, and overall health and fitness ALONG WITH losing weight and then being able to maintain the weight loss? Then NO.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be 400 under your goal?

Over time, it's going to make it difficult to meet your fitness goals. And you also put yourself at risk of losing more muscle than you do fat.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you, great!
    I'm always a bit concerned when I see more than half of the nutrition coming from shakes and bars. I think unless you're planning to do it just short term to get started or under doctor supervision, it's way too easy to end up malnourished or with deficits. My husband's doctor has him on a similar program, (but low carb, low fat dinners- no cheeseburgers here.) and is monitoring him monthly, including blood tests to make sure his base nutrition is good. My advice would be that if you start feeling tired, achy, getting headaches, etc, switch out some of that shake protein for real food that meets the same dietary recs. :) Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OOps...quoted myself instead of edited
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight and height? What have your set your weight loss per week goal at? Are you recording your running as exercise in MFP? How many calories are you estimating that your a burning during your exercise?

Basically, what ever you want to eat is fine. Things to consider, generally, you shouldn't eat less that 1500 calories and you need to eat back some of your exercise calories. The supplements are probably a waste of money.
    kwkeegan wrote: »
    I can't do the long term goal thing because I'll get bored and quit.

So what are you going to do long term? If you go back to your old habits, you just gain the weight back. The best suggestion is make lasting change--something you can do forever.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I recently started using MyFitnessPal as a diary of sorts and have of course become addicted to checking calories and exercise. I formed a diet for myself that is yet unproven but it is possible for myself to do without feeling like I want to strangle people like on most diets. The basic outline is that I have a GNC Total Lean shake for both breakfast and lunch, with the addition of a couple of small snacks thought the day such as fruit, almonds, lite string cheese, lean jerky, carrots, etc. I like to switch it up so I don't get bored but basically stuff that's good for you and low in calories. I also take Superior Amino 2222 tabs, a multivitamin, and a fish oil tab. And drink only water. This is every day. After work when I get home I force myself to go run for 30-40 minutes or 3-4 miles before I can eat dinner or drink. Sometimes I'll feel like a real (bad word) and burn through it or sometimes I'll be lazy through it, just so long as I do it. After that I check my fitness pal and drink and eat whatever I want for dinner. I can choose a cheeseburger and beer if I feel like it or boiled chicken and vegetables if I'm feeling like a real (bad word). So long as I'm under my total calorie intake for the day (which I usually am by about 400 according to MFP). This approach has kept me feeling fine throughout the day and given me a reward system everyday with the dinners. I can't do the long term goal thing because I'll get bored and quit.

Someone who is qualified please tell me if I can succeed, doing this every day.

Thanks

If "the long term goal thing" is too boring for you to stick with it, I have a hard time believing you'll be able to stick with this random made up plan you've got going on now.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I can't believe they blipped out my words. I'm about to delete just from that. That's *bad word*.

This is a public forum and one which many people access from work. Respectful language is a good thing.

If your ability to curse on public forums is the criteria you want to use in choosing a fitness tool/community...well, never mind...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Looks like a recipe for yo-yo dieting to me. Do the diet for a while, lose weight, go back to your old way of eating, gain the weight back, do the diet again for a while and lose weight, etc.

It's a lot more effective (and satisfying, and easier) to just eat a reasonably balanced diet and maintain a caloric deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Looks like a recipe for yo-yo dieting to me. Do the diet for a while, lose weight, go back to your old way of eating, gain the weight back, do the diet again for a while and lose weight, etc.

It's a lot more effective (and satisfying, and easier) to just eat a reasonably balanced diet and maintain a caloric deficit.

This
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Bingo
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Maybe I should clarify a few things. I have been doing this for 2 weeks. I feel great. The supplements are definitely helping. I have no energy loss. The calorie goal is the one set by MFP which is set for me as a 5'10", 220 lb male trying to lose 30 lbs at 1.5 lbs per week. I am am consistently under that goal by around 400 calls but always have more than 1600 cals at least per day. The exercise is always clocking in at around 500 cals burned plus I walk about 12000 steps per day bc of lightly active work as a project engineer. I log everything into the app. I am trying to lose weight. Whenever I reach my goal weight at that point I will consider switching gears into a more douche like muscle building type approach. I am completely fine doing this 7 days a week until my goal weight is reached. Also, I might add that money is not an issue concerning the random supplement mention as I am on a T&L budget so I'm not paying for anything.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should clarify a few things. I have been doing this for 2 weeks. I feel great. The supplements are definitely helping. I have no energy loss. The calorie goal is the one set by MFP which is set for me as a 5'10", 220 lb male trying to lose 30 lbs at 1.5 lbs per week. I am am consistently under that goal by around 400 calls but always have more than 1600 cals at least per day. The exercise is always clocking in at around 500 cals burned plus I walk about 12000 steps per day bc of lightly active work as a project engineer. I log everything into the app. I am trying to lose weight. Whenever I reach my goal weight at that point I will consider switching gears into a more douche like muscle building type approach. I am completely fine doing this 7 days a week until my goal weight is reached. Also, I might add that money is not an issue concerning the random supplement mention as I am on a T&L budget so I'm not paying for anything.

I support you in your plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to picture what a "more douche like muscle building type approach" is and failing.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm trying to picture what a "more douche like muscle building type approach" is and failing.

Glad it's not just me.
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Ok everyone seems to be getting bottlenecked with the verbiage.

I'm doing this until everyday until goal weight is realized at which point a bulking goal will take its place. Please only respond with relevant feedback minus your buzzwords and fitness nazi shadow casting
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    What a T & L budget? I want in if it means I don't have to pay for anything. :)
  • kwkeegan
    Options
    Travel and living, I travel for work so they pay for all my food, etc
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm doing this until everyday until goal weight is realized at which point a bulking goal will take its place. Please only respond with relevant feedback minus your buzzwords and fitness nazi shadow casting

I can only reply--"what?" to this post.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Eating too few calories will target your muscle mass. Dieting with a low deficit and then following it with bulking seems kinda counter-productive. Why not shoot for a more reasonable deficit to lose fat (and keep more muscle) and then bulk if you want to add muscle?